Trouble Getting NET.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Does this about once a month. Was down for me about 7 hours today. I clear the cookies/cache and all that and nothing helps. I have no other problems with other sites when this happens.

This is what I get:

The server at http://www.seahawks.net can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network.
Error code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Does the same thing with Firefox and IE. I just try those 2 to see if it fixes it. But get the same message as chrome. :thfight7:

netskier

Reaction score
The Seahawks. Net name servers seem to be down right now, but the site has been working for me all day using Tapatalk on my phone.

Anguish

Reaction score
netskier":t1805h6t said:
The Seahawks. Net name servers seem to be down right now, but the site has been working for me all day using Tapatalk on my phone.

The Seahawks.NET name servers all being down at the same time (there are 5 of them reporting at any given time from geographically distinct locations) is HIGHLY unlikely. Not impossible, but damned close to it. On top of that, our name servers being down, if that were even a reality, wouldn't cause the issue you're both reporting unless they were all down for extended periods of time and their records were expunged from the root servers.

The way that name lookup works, is your local machine first queries it's own hosts file for resolution. It then contacts the DNS servers that it knows about (your ISP DNS servers) in succession. Your ISP's DNS servers either have the server(s) you're looking for cached, or they ask the DNS server(s) that they know about in succession. Your client never directly queries the Seahawks.NET name servers in any way.

A much more likely scenario when there are DNS query errors, is that your ISP is having a DNS server issue, or there is a DNS cache corruption, which would explain why your computer would not work, yet your phone would. Different DNS servers being used.

One way to help alleviate this problem would be to add a tertiary DNS server to your list of usable servers, and add a public DNS server (http://public-dns.tk/nameserver/us.html) as a last resort. The problem with this is, most Microsoft clients (Windows) are horrible at traversing a list of multiple usable DNS servers and may still fail if the first on the list reports and error or times out.

Anguish

Reaction score
It might if they are actually having DNS server issues that require them to push out new DNS server listings via DHCP. Some cable modems/ dsl modems will do an IP renewal by default on reboot, some do not. Those that don't require you to go into them and manually tell them to renew if you're not willing to wait until auto-renewal at the DHCP lease half life. The problem with waiting for the half life, I've seen some ISPs set leases at 8 days, so auto-renewal would not happen until 4 days.

Latest posts