4 embedded quotes

StoneCold

Reaction score
It doesn't happen often, but when it does the only option I know of is to hand edit. When someone messes it up the thread get a bit harder to read. Is there a programmatic solution? If you detect there are 4 embedded quotes, offer to remove one and give the submitter the option of which one.

I realize it's probably more programming than it's worth, but it would eliminate users making the wrong edit.

Thanks for listening,

kidhawk

Reaction score
That would be a great feature....I have no idea how realistic it is or as you said, if it's worth the time and effort it may take.

I can say though, that moderators often come across these and we try to fix them when we see them. When you see them in the future, feel free to use the report function, and moderators can go back in and edit the post to make it look better....although sometimes they are such a mess it's hard to tell what's what, but in most cases, it's not too difficult to go in and fix them.

Maybe if it's reported enough it will tip the scales as to whether or not it's worth a programming solution.

Anguish

Reaction score
StoneCold":4wofg9qu said:
It doesn't happen often, but when it does the only option I know of is to hand edit. When someone messes it up the thread get a bit harder to read. Is there a programmatic solution? If you detect there are 4 embedded quotes, offer to remove one and give the submitter the option of which one.

I realize it's probably more programming than it's worth, but it would eliminate users making the wrong edit.

Thanks for listening,

This shouldn't bee too big of a deal. I'm going to create some posts to get the embedding number high enough to start triggering the error, then I'll make a note here when it's fixed. Giving the option of which to keep would be way more work than it's worth.

Anguish

Reaction score
Anguish":2802cbbj said:
StoneCold":2802cbbj said:

Thanks for listening,

This shouldn't bee too big of a deal. I'm going to create some posts to get the embedding number high enough to start triggering the error, then I'll make a note here when it's fixed.

Second

Anguish

Reaction score
Anguish":1s53ymnb said:
Anguish":1s53ymnb said:
StoneCold":1s53ymnb said:

Thanks for listening,

This shouldn't bee too big of a deal. I'm going to create some posts to get the embedding number high enough to start triggering the error, then I'll make a note here when it's fixed.

Second

Third

Anguish

Reaction score
Anguish":uvm6z8nf said:
StoneCold":uvm6z8nf said:

Thanks for listening,

Second

Third

Fourth

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Anguish":3vp2qcrd said:

Fifth

Sixth

Done.

As you can see, upon hitting submit, the oldest quote, above the limit, is automatically removed before written to the database.

Seventh

Wow, that was quick work and nicely done. The only issue I can see is if the post that's getting eliminated is the post you reference in your response. Completely understand the amount of work to offer a choice is not worth the benefit. Can some text be displayed at the top of the message when replying that says, "Last quote has not been included." Or something like that, to alert the poster they may want to check what's getting included as they reply?

Again, nicely done!

Anguish

Reaction score
I would suggest directly quoting the post that is being referenced rather than all of the embedded quotes along the way.

OP
OP
S

StoneCold

Reaction score
Anguish":15j3hv7q said:
I would suggest directly quoting the post that is being referenced rather than all of the embedded quotes along the way.

True and it's a minor nit that one of my developers would likely say, "Write it up, but it's not likely to get fixed." :)