Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

4 embedded quotes

Have questions or seeking answers regarding anything to do with Seahawks.NET? Here's the place. LANGUAGE RATING: PG
4 embedded quotes
Wed May 24, 2017 10:07 am
  • It doesn't happen often, but when it does the only option I know of is to hand edit. When someone messes it up the thread get a bit harder to read. Is there a programmatic solution? If you detect there are 4 embedded quotes, offer to remove one and give the submitter the option of which one.

I realize it's probably more programming than it's worth, but it would eliminate users making the wrong edit.

Thanks for listening,
    Russell has some stats that aren't Superb? Ow! Love his balls anyways!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Re: 4 embedded quotes
Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 am
  • That would be a great feature....I have no idea how realistic it is or as you said, if it's worth the time and effort it may take.

I can say though, that moderators often come across these and we try to fix them when we see them. When you see them in the future, feel free to use the report function, and moderators can go back in and edit the post to make it look better....although sometimes they are such a mess it's hard to tell what's what, but in most cases, it's not too difficult to go in and fix them.

Maybe if it's reported enough it will tip the scales as to whether or not it's worth a programming solution.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Wed May 24, 2017 1:36 pm
  • StoneCold wrote:It doesn't happen often, but when it does the only option I know of is to hand edit. When someone messes it up the thread get a bit harder to read. Is there a programmatic solution? If you detect there are 4 embedded quotes, offer to remove one and give the submitter the option of which one.

I realize it's probably more programming than it's worth, but it would eliminate users making the wrong edit.

Thanks for listening,

This shouldn't bee too big of a deal. I'm going to create some posts to get the embedding number high enough to start triggering the error, then I'll make a note here when it's fixed. Giving the option of which to keep would be way more work than it's worth.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Wed May 24, 2017 1:37 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:It doesn't happen often, but when it does the only option I know of is to hand edit. When someone messes it up the thread get a bit harder to read. Is there a programmatic solution? If you detect there are 4 embedded quotes, offer to remove one and give the submitter the option of which one.

Thanks for listening,

This shouldn't bee too big of a deal. I'm going to create some posts to get the embedding number high enough to start triggering the error, then I'll make a note here when it's fixed.

Second
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

• Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    StoneCold wrote:It doesn't happen often, but when it does the only option I know of is to hand edit. When someone messes it up the thread get a bit harder to read. Is there a programmatic solution? If you detect there are 4 embedded quotes, offer to remove one and give the submitter the option of which one.

Thanks for listening,

This shouldn't bee too big of a deal. I'm going to create some posts to get the embedding number high enough to start triggering the error, then I'll make a note here when it's fixed.

Second

Third
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

• Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:

Thanks for listening,

Second

Third

Fourth
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Wed May 24, 2017 1:43 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:

Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Wed May 24, 2017 1:44 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Second

Third

Fourth

Fifth

Sixth

Done.

As you can see, upon hitting submit, the oldest quote, above the limit, is automatically removed before written to the database.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Wed May 24, 2017 1:48 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Third

Fourth

Fifth

Sixth

Done.

As you can see, upon hitting submit, the oldest quote, above the limit, is automatically removed before written to the database.

Seventh
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Wed May 24, 2017 2:39 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Fourth

Fifth

Sixth

Done.

Seventh
    Cool.
    Josea16
    NET Veteran

Wed May 24, 2017 3:00 pm
  • Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Third

Fourth

Fifth

Sixth

Done.

Nice...I like it

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Thu May 25, 2017 6:58 am
  • Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Anguish wrote:
    Fourth

Fifth

Sixth

Done.

Seventh

Wow, that was quick work and nicely done. The only issue I can see is if the post that's getting eliminated is the post you reference in your response. Completely understand the amount of work to offer a choice is not worth the benefit. Can some text be displayed at the top of the message when replying that says, "Last quote has not been included." Or something like that, to alert the poster they may want to check what's getting included as they reply?

Again, nicely done!

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

Thu May 25, 2017 8:23 am
  • I would suggest directly quoting the post that is being referenced rather than all of the embedded quotes along the way.
    Anguish
    * NET Co-Owner *

Thu May 25, 2017 10:18 am
  • Anguish wrote:I would suggest directly quoting the post that is being referenced rather than all of the embedded quotes along the way.

True and it's a minor nit that one of my developers would likely say, "Write it up, but it's not likely to get fixed." :)

SC
    StoneCold
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET FAQ FORUM ]

Information