Warning to users: Please read

Have questions or seeking answers regarding anything to do with NET Nation? Here's the place. RATING: PG
Re: Warning to users: Please read
Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:17 pm
  • Sturm wrote:
    RockHawk wrote:Community,
    We will no longer allow the usage of the word "TARvaris" in this forum. The highlighting of the word Tar is insensitive at best and bigoted or racist at worst, so please stop printing his name in this fashion.


    I don't get it. How is that spelling racist?


    He is black and tar is black. Saying TAR accentuates the fact that he is black in some people's posts.

    I have said TARvaris before, but it was only in the beginning of the season when every damn person said "Tavaris" and didn't realize they were spelling it wrong.
    User avatar
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:26 pm
  • Am I still allowed to call CBJ "Whiteface"?
    Image

    "You hear a little girl Frankie?"
    User avatar
    KINGGRUMPY
    ** SSGT GRUMPY ** USAF BadAss
     
    Posts: 2091
    Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:09 pm
    Location: SOUTH TACOMA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:30 pm
  • KINGGRUMPY wrote:Am I still allowed to call CBJ "Whiteface"?


    How about you just grow up and call him by his name?
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18499
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:33 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    KINGGRUMPY wrote:Am I still allowed to call CBJ "Whiteface"?


    How about you just grow up and call him by his name?


    ClipBoard?
    Image

    "You hear a little girl Frankie?"
    User avatar
    KINGGRUMPY
    ** SSGT GRUMPY ** USAF BadAss
     
    Posts: 2091
    Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:09 pm
    Location: SOUTH TACOMA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:36 pm
  • Whitehurst is white... so saying his name, accentuates the fact that he is white... so we can only call him Charlie from now on.
    Image

    "You hear a little girl Frankie?"
    User avatar
    KINGGRUMPY
    ** SSGT GRUMPY ** USAF BadAss
     
    Posts: 2091
    Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:09 pm
    Location: SOUTH TACOMA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:38 pm
  • Actually, "WHITEhurst" would accentuate that. I don't think you understand what accentuation means.
    User avatar
    MrCarey
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1674
    Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:27 am
  • RockHawk wrote:Community,
    We will no longer allow the usage of the word "TARvaris" in this forum. The highlighting of the word Tar is insensitive at best and bigoted or racist at worst, so please stop printing his name in this fashion.

    It makes no difference if your claiming to print it that way to highlight how his name should be verbalized because people tend to say it incorrectly (missing the pronouncing of the "R" syllable), because all your doing is being a passive/aggressive a-hole. In either case, please stop using the term no matter what your point is.

    Thanks


    Bravo sir, bravo.
    Image
    User avatar
    BASF
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1487
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:07 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:48 am
  • Bigpumpkin wrote:"Common sense" following a Seahawk lambasting? Surely you jest!!!


    You rang?
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    User avatar
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *
     
    Posts: 6977
    Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:56 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:39 am
  • Never even connected the dots myself, but I will continue not doing that.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18157
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:56 am
  • MrCarey wrote:
    Sturm wrote:
    RockHawk wrote:Community,
    We will no longer allow the usage of the word "TARvaris" in this forum. The highlighting of the word Tar is insensitive at best and bigoted or racist at worst, so please stop printing his name in this fashion.


    I don't get it. How is that spelling racist?


    He is black and tar is black. Saying TAR accentuates the fact that he is black in some people's posts.

    I have said TARvaris before, but it was only in the beginning of the season when every damn person said "Tavaris" and didn't realize they were spelling it wrong.



    Wow...I guess when you go looking that hard for racism, you're sure to find someone to point the finger at.
    Image
    Sturm
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2345
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:11 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:02 am
  • Obviously not everyone was ill intentioned when typing his name like that. But there's no doubt in my mind some were, which is enough to put an end to it.
    Image
    User avatar
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *
     
    Posts: 8687
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:24 am
    Location: PNW


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:33 am
  • KINGGRUMPY wrote:Am I still allowed to call CBJ "Whiteface"?


    I call him Charlie Whiteknuckles. Beccuse when he's in there, I'm so tense that he's going to do something stupid my knuckles turn white.

    And good post Shark. Agree with you 100%. Sometimes the PC crowd goes way overboard (manholes to "person holes", Merry Christmas to "Happy Holidays" etc.) but with stuff like this they get it right. Better to be over-sensitive to it. The alternative is horrifying.
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11192
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:43 am
  • I applaud this move. Below is some text from the old WIKI as to why it isn't a kind term. Is it based on excess sensitivity? Maybe. And so what? When within your power to not offend, please do so. Besides, Rock's site, Rock's rules.

    Racial element in modern usage

    Although the term's provenance rests in African folklore (i.e., the gum doll Anansi created to trap Mmoatia, the dwarf), some Americans now consider "tar baby" to have negative connotations revolving around pejorative images of African Americans.[7] The Oxford English Dictionary indeed lists "tar baby" as a derogatory term for a black or a Maori.[8] Due to this perception of racial overtones behind the term, several United States politicians--including presidential candidates John McCain, John Kerry, and Mitt Romney--have received public criticism in recent years from civil rights leaders, members of the popular daily media, and fellow politicians after using the "tar baby" metaphor.[9][10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17][18][19] This racist connotation has been said to be largely restricted to parts of the United States [20]. In other countries the phrase continues in mainstream use to refer to problems of an intractable nature worsened by intervention [21].
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10571
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:50 am
  • CANHawk wrote:
    KINGGRUMPY wrote:Am I still allowed to call CBJ "Whiteface"?


    I call him Charlie Whiteknuckles. Beccuse when he's in there, I'm so tense that he's going to do something stupid my knuckles turn white.....................


    My buddy and I have taken to calling him Whitehead, like a zit, cuz his play fits the tag.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

    Image
    User avatar
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10764
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:02 am
  • RockHawk wrote:It makes no difference if your claiming to print it that way to highlight how his name should be verbalized because people tend to say it incorrectly (missing the pronouncing of the "R" syllable), because all your doing is being a passive/aggressive a-hole. In either case, please stop using the term no matter what your point is.

    Thanks


    Actually Rock, I don't think it's about how his name is pronounced, it's more about the spelling. Even Tarvaris pronounces his name own "Tavaris". (He did that in the Real Robinson Report video) Hell, look at Favre. His name is not pronounced the way it's spelled.

    And count me as one that didn't notice the racial undertones in capitalizing "TAR". Oh well, no biggie either way to me.
    User avatar
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3533
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:16 pm
    Location: Huntsville, Al


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:07 am
  • taz291819 wrote:
    RockHawk wrote:It makes no difference if your claiming to print it that way to highlight how his name should be verbalized because people tend to say it incorrectly (missing the pronouncing of the "R" syllable), because all your doing is being a passive/aggressive a-hole. In either case, please stop using the term no matter what your point is.

    Thanks


    Actually Rock, I don't think it's about how his name is pronounced, it's more about the spelling. Even Tarvaris pronounces his name own "Tavaris". (He did that in the Real Robinson Report video) Hell, look at Favre. His name is not pronounced the way it's spelled.

    And count me as one that didn't notice the racial undertones in capitalizing "TAR". Oh well, no biggie either way to me.


    shoot... I just thought that was the southerngrammar...
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11192
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:55 am
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Never even connected the dots myself, but I will continue not doing that.

    Ditto. Whatever. PC is way over used nowadays.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8956
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:57 am
  • Racial? I never would have thought that. I would think highlighting the TAR in TARvaris is more a slam at the mentally retarded. Oh well, rules are rules and I trust the leadership's judgement.
    User avatar
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 766
    Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:36 am
  • On a similar topic......

    Posts that are titled with vulgarity included (ie: F... this, F... that) is a concern of mine when I have a young granddaughter siting next to me, as recently happened. That is also very offensive. I don't mind vulgarity used in the body of a post because it can be ignored easier, however, in the title of a post to see "F... whatever" is inappropriate and a shows a lack of vocabulary on the writers part and is certainly not language that young children should be exposed to.

    Can that be banned too?
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    User avatar
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 905
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:43 am
  • AbsolutNET wrote:Obviously not everyone was ill intentioned when typing his name like that. But there's no doubt in my mind some were, which is enough to put an end to it.



    Then I hope those people were kicked out of .net because we don't need that around here.
    The Poster Formerly Known As NoVAHawk
    User avatar
    CityHawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 318
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:18 am
    Location: Washington, DC


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:46 am
  • Didn't notice the connection at all. Well maybe people will spell his name right now after reading this.
    User avatar
    JKent82
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3008
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:13 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:55 am
  • CamanoIslandJQ wrote:On a similar topic......

    Posts that are titled with vulgarity included (ie: F... this, F... that) is a concern of mine when I have a young granddaughter siting next to me, as recently happened. That is also very offensive. I don't mind vulgarity used in the body of a post because it can be ignored easier, however, in the title of a post to see "F... whatever" is inappropriate and a shows a lack of vocabulary on the writers part and is certainly not language that young children should be exposed to.

    Can that be banned too?


    Using anything like this, or any version of the F word isn't allowed in any forum except the smack shack, & PWR forums in any form. You should never see anything like that in the main forums, and if you do, report it immediately and it will be handled ASAP.

    As for the shack, people should know never to go there with anyone under 18 around. It's posted in the forum description as over 18.
    Image
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    User avatar
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *
     
    Posts: 4003
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
    Location: Owner's Box


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:57 am
  • There was a time when the term, "tar baby" was used in many parts of this country...and it meant only one thing.

    Do I think everyone who used the TAR caps was doing so as an insult? No.

    Do I think Rockhawk went overboard here? IMHO, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF I AGREE WITH HIM! This board is not a democracy (trust me I know). This is Rock's playground and if you don't like the rules, there's the door.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    User avatar
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *
     
    Posts: 5475
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Skagit County, WA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:21 am
  • Wow. It's not my site so I won't rag about this decision, but since I'm one of those who used the "forbidden spelling" I just want to point out that while there was absolutely zero racist intent on my part and that I was only emphasizing the "ar" in the QB's name (now I'm afraid to type it at all lest I offend someone) I do think this is kneejerk and a wee bit silly. If someone were using the forbidden spelling in a racist way then I'd be all for that guy (or girl) getting banned but banning words, and now spelling of words, to me is a slippery slope. I can't help but feel like we've just totally alienated all the pirates in our community and that is just blatantly insensitive.

    Can we please now also ban spelling our backup QB's name as "WHITEhurst"? Maybe we can just can him "Wurst" or something inoffensive as that so we'd all be safe from racism.

    But seriously, I guess now I am ragging a bit so I'll just say that I do appreciate that monitoring this site to keep it welcoming and civil is a very tough job and I appreciate the work our Admins, owner, etc, do. I get it, honestly, and respect that it isn't easy knowing "when to say when". In this case, however, I most lovingly and respectfully think we've gone a bit overboard (no offense to pirates or any drowning victims in our community).
    User avatar
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 6827
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:25 am
  • MysterMatt wrote:Wow. It's not my site so I won't rag about this decision, but since I'm one of those who used the "forbidden spelling" I just want to point out that while there was absolutely zero racist intent on my part and that I was only emphasizing the "ar" in the QB's name (now I'm afraid to type it at all lest I offend someone) I do think this is kneejerk and a wee bit silly. If someone were using the forbidden spelling in a racist way then I'd be all for that guy (or girl) getting banned but banning words, and now spelling of words, to me is a slippery slope. I can't help but feel like we've just totally alienated all the pirates in our community and that is just blatantly insensitive.

    Can we please now also ban spelling our backup QB's name as "WHITEhurst"? Maybe we can just can him "Wurst" or something inoffensive as that so we'd all be safe from racism.

    But seriously, I guess now I am ragging a bit so I'll just say that I do appreciate that monitoring this site to keep it welcoming and civil is a very tough job and I appreciate the work our Admins, owner, etc, do. I get it, honestly, and respect that it isn't easy knowing "when to say when". In this case, however, I most lovingly and respectfully think we've gone a bit overboard (no offense to pirates or any drowning victims in our community).

    +1 This.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8956
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:16 am
  • MysterMatt wrote:Wow. It's not my site so I won't rag about this decision, but since I'm one of those who used the "forbidden spelling" I just want to point out that while there was absolutely zero racist intent on my part and that I was only emphasizing the "ar" in the QB's name (now I'm afraid to type it at all lest I offend someone) I do think this is kneejerk and a wee bit silly. If someone were using the forbidden spelling in a racist way then I'd be all for that guy (or girl) getting banned but banning words, and now spelling of words, to me is a slippery slope. I can't help but feel like we've just totally alienated all the pirates in our community and that is just blatantly insensitive.


    Here's the problem MMatt: How are the mods/Mark to tell when it's being used in a racist manner and when it's not? How do you make the decision on whom to ban and whom to not ban? I don't think Mark wants to have to make that decision...do you blame him?

    And here's another thought: Don't folks realize we have 'brothers' and 'sisters' who are members of this site and have been for a very long time? I try not to insult my friends...YMMV.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    User avatar
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *
     
    Posts: 5475
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Skagit County, WA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:40 am
  • MysterMatt wrote:Wow. It's not my site so I won't rag about this decision, but since I'm one of those who used the "forbidden spelling" I just want to point out that while there was absolutely zero racist intent on my part and that I was only emphasizing the "ar" in the QB's name (now I'm afraid to type it at all lest I offend someone) I do think this is kneejerk and a wee bit silly. If someone were using the forbidden spelling in a racist way then I'd be all for that guy (or girl) getting banned but banning words, and now spelling of words, to me is a slippery slope. I can't help but feel like we've just totally alienated all the pirates in our community and that is just blatantly insensitive.

    Can we please now also ban spelling our backup QB's name as "WHITEhurst"? Maybe we can just can him "Wurst" or something inoffensive as that so we'd all be safe from racism.

    But seriously, I guess now I am ragging a bit so I'll just say that I do appreciate that monitoring this site to keep it welcoming and civil is a very tough job and I appreciate the work our Admins, owner, etc, do. I get it, honestly, and respect that it isn't easy knowing "when to say when". In this case, however, I most lovingly and respectfully think we've gone a bit overboard (no offense to pirates or any drowning victims in our community).

    I completly disagree highlighting '' TAR'' is derogatory when your talking about a Black QB , you know better than that and if you didn't now you do. You can claim ignorance but i'm not buying it.
    Last edited by General Manager on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    General Manager
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2190
    Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:47 am
  • By "brothers" and "sisters" are you really trying to say that we have African American people who are members of this site? Or are we not allowed to say that, either? Look, Brian, I'm not trying to turn this into a debate and I've said my bit already. Stil, to answer your question I'll just say this: they shouldn't. Lots of benign words can be racist, sexist, homophobic, threatening, or just plain ol' hateful and it is wasted effort to try to control how they get used in every instance (which is what you are doing when you ban them) and by going down this path that the owner/mods of this board have chosen we'll now have to consider eliminating all sorts of things. Offhand, I'd say that since we don't like how emphasizing the first three letters of our QB-who-must-not-be-named might be used, then we should also ban any reference to drinking a "40", eating watermelon, being on our periods (sexist, not racist), or describing a play or coaching decision as "retarded" (especially if the coach in question is a "brother" or "sister").

    Hate is what turns words vicious and I just can't help thinking we're better off not getting hung up on their trivial use, or spelling, and instead actually addressing situations where hate is clear. Good intentions do not justify certain knee-jerk decisions.

    Cheers, and please again note that I'm just stating my opinion...no intent to offend anyone, anywhere. Ever.
    Last edited by MysterMatt on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 6827
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:51 am
  • General Manager wrote:I completly disagree highlighting '' TAR'' is derogatory when your talking about a Black QB , you know beeter than that and if you didn't now you do. You can claim ignorance but i'm not buying it.

    Even when people still refer to him as "TAvaris"? Sorry, you're the one with the problem. It isn't derogatory at all. Making a racist comment would be derogatory, all this is is a correction to a frequent mis-spelling our our qb-not-to-be-named's name.
    User avatar
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 6827
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:08 pm
  • Firstly; I've never liked the term African American, that's why I don't use it. (My decision.) Secondly, we are not talking about 'lots of benign words.' We are talking about one particular term being used here.

    I believe you know me well enough to know my ol' hippie butt deplores censorship...but sometimes it is a neccessary evil. Do I think you used TARvaris in a racist way? LOL! Of course not. But the problem is that there are those who will use it as a double entendre/insult'. Unfortunate but true.

    Sometimes the majority has to take the hit for the actions of a few...such is life. (I've never mugged an old lady, but I think there should be laws against it.)
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    User avatar
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *
     
    Posts: 5475
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Skagit County, WA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:10 pm
  • I disagree, but like I said...ain't my site.
    User avatar
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 6827
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:37 pm
  • As a black man with many white friends, I can see how many of you feel. Yes, you are not racist and maybe have never experienced much more than sarcastic or distant racism. But to say that since you aren't being racist that you should be able to use it is a terrible argument.

    Racism is still extremely prevalent in our society and was only a few decades ago when segregation was law. In fact, when my parents were to be married it was actually illegal in some states for interracial marriage to even happen.

    I'm glad that you are not racist and "love black people" and all that. I love you too, but please, racism still exists, and it exists everywhere.

    ...........


    This post actually helped me forget about that debacle on Sunday.
    User avatar
    hawky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1588
    Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:48 pm
  • Frankly I’m shocked by those of you pushing back on this. I’ve stated many times before that I have a zero tolerance rule for anything that can even remotely be taken as racist, and this one is well over that line. Why in the hell would you be pushing back and defending something like this when you clearly have people verifying that it’s insensitive and can be taken as a racist tone?

    I honestly just don’t understand. You can claim that you’re just trying to push back against unjust censorship all you want, but you are fighting to allow a potentially racist comment!!! And for what? Because you want to be able to say it to show how people are mispronouncing it?!? Are you kidding me?

    Be argumentative all you want, but be smart enough to realize that by arguing on this one, you come across as defending bigotry and racial insensitivity, and I would generally distance myself from those things if it were me.

    Oh well.
    Image
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    User avatar
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *
     
    Posts: 4003
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
    Location: Owner's Box


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:52 pm
  • We're all a little bit racist, or so I've heard, and being in an interracial relationship with a bi-racial daughter I'm pretty sensitive to the "distant" types of racism even if, as a white guy, I have never really had to be on the receiving end of it like so many others have. I get that I never will be able to walk in certain shoes but please don't think for a second that because of that I shouldn't try to be sensitive. My only point is that if we start attributing racial connotations (sp?) to purely coincidential situations like this one with the emphasis on the correct spelling of someone's name then I think we're missing the point.

    Cheers, I'll shut up for good now on this thread.
    User avatar
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 6827
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:12 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:54 pm
  • But you know what I really hate? CANADIANS! With their perfect teeth, good looks and excellent pronunciation. Damn them! :: shakes fist at sky::
    So you're admitting I'm a celeb...
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11192
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:59 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:But you know what I really hate? CANADIANS! With their perfect teeth, good looks and excellent pronunciation. Damn them! :: shakes fist at sky::


    :13:
    Image
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    User avatar
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *
     
    Posts: 4003
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
    Location: Owner's Box


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:09 pm
  • I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

    We should check if the misspellings are in any way racist too.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:14 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

    We should check if the misspellings are in any way racist too.


    Yes, of course we assume anyone using the term is racist. That's how we are around here. :34853_doh:
    Image
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    User avatar
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *
     
    Posts: 4003
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:23 am
    Location: Owner's Box


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:18 pm
  • RockHawk wrote:
    Coug_Hawk08 wrote:I thought people were typing it that way to show how it is spelled. Since so many people spell it incorrectly.

    We should check if the misspellings are in any way racist too.


    Yes, of course we assume anyone using the term is racist. That's how we are around here. :34853_doh:


    :stirthepot:
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:18 pm
  • How about Tarvaris?

    It amazes me that people can get so upset on an internet site. They're just words. I shutter to think how some of you take things in the real world.
    cesame
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1610
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:36 pm


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:21 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:Firstly; I've never liked the term African American, that's why I don't use it. (My decision.)


    I agree. I do not like any term that puts American second, unless of course they are native born of that particular continent or Nation. For Instance, my family immigrated from Mexico. I'm first generation American. I tell people that I'm American, or if they push for my parent's country of origin, I will say American-Mexican, or Chicano.
    Image

    "You hear a little girl Frankie?"
    User avatar
    KINGGRUMPY
    ** SSGT GRUMPY ** USAF BadAss
     
    Posts: 2091
    Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:09 pm
    Location: SOUTH TACOMA


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:42 pm
  • Everyone does realize that his name is actually spelled Tarvaris and NOT Tavaris, correct??? His name is Tarvaris! I just assumed that people were trying to accentuate the correct spelling of TARvaris just as people would say DEON Grant, or SHAUN Alexander, or Grant WISTROM, or DEION Branch.

    Again, if this topic wasnt posted, I would have never even imagined anything derogatory about the spelling of his name.
    User avatar
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 766
    Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:59 pm
  • Just because you didn't know it was derogatory doesn't mean it's not derogatory.
    User avatar
    hawky
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1588
    Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:17 pm
  • But why call attention to something when i think not many people knew?
    User avatar
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 766
    Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:37 pm
  • But why call attention to something when i think not many people knew?

    At a guess I would say it's because a person or a few people were in fact using it in a derogatory sense, and in order to stop them from doing so the mods have to stop everyone from doing so.

    While the vast majority I am sure are of the sort who make no distinction between people on the basis of ancestry or origin, I have seen enough things on this board since Jackson became our QB to convince me that there are definitely exceptions to that. Heck, I have even seen slights aimed at me just because I don't live in the US, even though I was born and raised there and am still a US citizen.

    I support the mods in laying out the rules clearly, so that no one gets to hide behind "I was just highlighting how it's supposed to be spelled" while chuckling up his sleeve at getting away with a racial slur.

    I agree with some in that special rules highlight differences between people and reinforce that the differences are meaningful, which is in its own way racist, but in this instance I think it's called for and appropriate.
    KiwiHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1260
    Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 3:22 pm
    Location: Auckland, New Zealand


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:44 pm
  • KiwiHawk wrote:
    But why call attention to something when i think not many people knew?

    At a guess I would say it's because a person or a few people were in fact using it in a derogatory sense, and in order to stop them from doing so the mods have to stop everyone from doing so.


    Kiwihawk wins the thread.
    Championships are forever.
    User avatar
    Happy
    * NET Lead Admin *
     
    Posts: 8555
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:00 pm
  • Wow, a tough topic. Being from England I find it fascinating how racial issues are dealt with in America. There was racism here - still is - but it always seemed to be...sort of different to on your side of the pond. (I don't mean that in any superior way - just that it has taken a different shape)

    I know the media has a big part to say in this, and please- it deplores me how racism is still prevalent in English society, and society in general. I applaud any one who tries to dissuade/punish any racism. On this forum or in real life.

    But...and I hate to use that word. I can understand why people are pushing this. Oooh its so hard, and my head can see both sides.

    Ultimately though, Rock Hawk- as the owner of this site, has no choice but to ban this phrase. Although we know 99% of its use was in spelling and not prejudice, that 1% has to negate the others.

    Let's say RockHawk bans someone because he know it was used in a racist manner. How can he prove it was racist when the said phrase is used by others as a method of pronunciation? Where do you draw the line? It opens legal issues that would murk moral waters even more.

    There was 2 ways to deal with this- let it go and only deal with extreme cases that can be proved racist. Or ban the phrase altogether, drawing a line in the sand where any subsequent use would be judged on its own merit.

    I think the latter option is a necessary medicine. It will allow this site to remain a forum for free opinions. Its stated its stance on the matter. I think almost everyone here (particularly those that run the site) have the intelligence to see when people are being prejudice, and will deal with them properly. If the phrase is innocently used again, I would hope they exercise caution and a word in the ear of the poster.

    So I needn't think anyone should worry, and I know this is the case with announcements like this. It makes us all feel bad for ever using the phrase. Heck- i've used it. But never in any bigoted way.

    No one's saying we have though. Only that a certain few have, and its caused the rest of us to have to change because they're idiots.

    I don't necessarily like it. I sort of like the idea of allowing free speech when its clearly not meant in any malicious way. But when you're the owner of a respected site and there's some people ruining it for everyone else then I don't know really what choice you have.

    The alternative is not awful for free speech, but it could be for this site - and that is something that must be taken into account.
    User avatar
    WorcesterHawks
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 89
    Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:46 am
    Location: Worcester


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:04 pm
  • I am another reader who never realised the name highlighted that way could very easily be seen and be used as an "under the radar" yet deliberately derogatory racial way of referring to a an African American. Now I see and agree and I am happy with the decision. Can do without the potential racial innuendo.
    User avatar
    Bullmeister
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 440
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:54 am
    Location: Melbourne, Australia


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:16 pm
  • A moment of your time about things like this.

    I've been here since the start, when Aros and others most of you don't know were posting on a fanstop Seahawks site.

    It was a constant dooney brook, swearing, fighting, racial, & sexual comments, personal threats. It was ok but got tiresome rather quickly.

    After Todd started his own site which became Seahawks.net it wasn't much different. There were constant bickerings, arguments, trash talking etc. They added the smack shack and that helped a bit but still there was way to much personal bashing.

    Low and behold several posters with kids that sat and talked with them when they were on this site began to complain and ask if we could hold stuff down and gradually over a couple of years we did. Some of the old guard had to be shown the door, or some like me toned it down. (most of you didn't know me in those days). While this only happened a very few times it made a dramatic difference. As the fighting bashing subsided our membership began to grow, and has continued to grow to this day.

    So for those of you that are whining that "I want to" or "I didn't mean that", give it up. This is the world we live in and like or not we need to adjust because you're way in the miniority here. We're pretty pleasant about it, how many of you have received a PM from me either reminding you or letting you know that the F word is not allowed on any but Smack Shack or PWR Forums? Lots of you, have I ever been a jerk about it? Not unless you were. lol Trust me if there is a problem that catches Marks eye you would all rather hear from Matt, Steve, Judd, or me than hear from Mark.

    The way for us to continue to grow is through a bit more political correctness than most sports fans can handle. But we aren't any sports fans, we are Seahawks & Seahawks.net fans, we are family. Do we all always agree no, do we all really care about each other? I'd like to think so.

    As Sean Connery said in OUTLAND, "think about it".

    :les:
    Image
    Getting ready for some football
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18392
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


Re: Warning to users: Please read
Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:04 pm
  • The Radish wrote:A moment of your time about things like this.

    I've been here since the start, when Aros and others most of you don't know were posting on a fanstop Seahawks site.

    It was a constant dooney brook, swearing, fighting, racial, & sexual comments, personal threats. It was ok but got tiresome rather quickly.

    After Todd started his own site which became Seahawks.net it wasn't much different. There were constant bickerings, arguments, trash talking etc. They added the smack shack and that helped a bit but still there was way to much personal bashing.

    Low and behold several posters with kids that sat and talked with them when they were on this site began to complain and ask if we could hold stuff down and gradually over a couple of years we did. Some of the old guard had to be shown the door, or some like me toned it down. (most of you didn't know me in those days). While this only happened a very few times it made a dramatic difference. As the fighting bashing subsided our membership began to grow, and has continued to grow to this day.

    So for those of you that are whining that "I want to" or "I didn't mean that", give it up. This is the world we live in and like or not we need to adjust because you're way in the miniority here. We're pretty pleasant about it, how many of you have received a PM from me either reminding you or letting you know that the F word is not allowed on any but Smack Shack or PWR Forums? Lots of you, have I ever been a jerk about it? Not unless you were. lol Trust me if there is a problem that catches Marks eye you would all rather hear from Matt, Steve, Judd, or me than hear from Mark.

    The way for us to continue to grow is through a bit more political correctness than most sports fans can handle. But we aren't any sports fans, we are Seahawks & Seahawks.net fans, we are family. Do we all always agree no, do we all really care about each other? I'd like to think so.

    As Sean Connery said in OUTLAND, "think about it".

    :les:


    Initially I balked at this thread as overly sensitive,but after reading this post I agree it is in the best interest of us all. Thanks Radish for setting me straight.
    User avatar
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 702
    Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 7:32 am
    Location: Battleground,WA


Next


It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:43 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET NATION FAQ FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests