How the new rule regarding compensatory picks helps us

RiverDog

Reaction score
As most of you are aware, this is the first season teams have been able to trade compensatory picks, and most avid Seahawk fans realize that we were awarded two compensatory picks, both 3rd rounders, #102 and 106, just behind our 'regular' 3rd round pick at #90.

But after that pick at #106, since we don't have a 4th or a 5th round pick, there's a huge gap until we pick again at #210. Teams generally don't like having that kind of gap because if there's a player in that value range that's still on their board and begins to drop, they can't snap him up. Avoiding that situation is especially important to a team like ours that has a full cupboard at least compared to teams like the Browns and Niners. Teams like us that don't have a lot of specific needs want to be opportunistic.

Additionally, the chances of 3 players on our 'value' chart all still being on the board at #90, 102, and 106 is pretty slim.

That's where the rule change comes in. We will more than likely have a player in our cross hairs at our natural pick at #90, so look for us to use that one on a player, but don't be surprised if we trade one or both of those comp picks for slots in Rounds 4 and/or 5.

Bad news for the delusional grassy knoll crowd that's always coming up with some "Goodell is out to get us" theory.

sutz

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if they traded at least one of them to pick up some 4/5 Rd help.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Trading away ONE third rounder for a 4th AND 5th?, hell to the....YES.
What's the chances that they bunch up one of the other third rounders with our pick 26, and move up into the teens in round 1?.
Lots of possibilities opened up for JS & the Seahawks in this Draft.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3qc50zff said:
Trading away ONE third rounder for a 4th AND 5th?, hell to the....YES.
What's the chances that they bunch up one of the other third rounders with our pick 26, and move up into the teens in round 1?.
Lots of possibilities opened up for JS & the Seahawks in this Draft.

As a rule, we don't trade up, especially in the first round. The vast majority of our draft day trades has been trading down to accumulate more picks, and with that big gap between 106 and 210, I'm betting that we do something to get a pick somewhere in the middle of that gap.

But like you said, there's a lot of possibilities, and this year might be the exception to the rule. In any event, our picking up 2 compensatory picks and the rule change allowing trading them increases the drama.

cover-2

Reaction score
Yeah, its pretty much expected for us to trade down in either the 1st round and/or 3rd round. I see us keeping our 2nd round pick and possibly trading up in the 2nd to get someone that wasn't expected to fall to the top of the 2nd round. We should come out of this draft with a couple of legit playmakers.

OP
OP
RiverDog

RiverDog

Reaction score
cover-2":3k114n3m said:
Yeah, its pretty much expected for us to trade down in either the 1st round and/or 3rd round. I see us keeping our 2nd round pick and possibly trading up in the 2nd to get someone that wasn't expected to fall to the top of the 2nd round. We should come out of this draft with a couple of legit playmakers.

With 3 picks grouped within 20 slots of each other, there won't be the motivation to trade out of the first round like we've done in the past. But that doesn't mean I don't think it will happen.

I'm hoping we can get one bona fide starter along with 2-3 solid contributors and add some depth. Our core roster is still pretty solid.