The trade Sherman mock draft

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Using the picks from the hypothetical trade of Sherman outlined above: #'s: 26, 33, 58, 90, 102, 106, 108, 145, 210, 226.

Example draft for Seahawks using current rankings at cbssports.com 3/21/17 update. --Not a bad haul and IMO, the DB's selected would effectively replace Sherman and would be the beginning of LOB#2. Lots of great possibilities with these picks & many are local favorites often discussed herein.

26-----SS-Obi Melifonwu(33) - Use as hybrid S/LB, B/U & eventual replacement for Kam.
33-----CB-Kevin King(55) - Start at RCB, as the #1 replacement of Sherman, I think he could pull it off.
58-----OLB-Tyus Bowser(67) - A need. Start him at LB & B/U for all LB positions.
90-----CB-Rasul Douglas(91) - Competition and likely LCB starter.
102----DT-Carlos Watkins(108) - Rotational DL addition (Don't forget Q-Jeff is there too)
106----OG-Nico Siragusa(117) - One of the few OL meeting requirements, Probable B/U
108----RB-Kareem Hunt(123) - Another RB for the crew, and one that doesn't fumble.
145----CB-Shaquill Griffin(184) - May be developmental but fits the mold very well, + production.
210----OLB-Jimmy Gilbert(252) - Criminally overlooked as a developmental LB prospect.
226----SS-Shalom Luani(276) - Double down on SS, just in case of injury, a hybrid spot for him?
UDFA's:---OT-Jerry Ugokwe(247), OT-Levon Meyers(255), CB-Treston DeCoud(268),
OG-Avery Gennesy(273), WR-Jehu Chesson(285),DT-Grover Stewart(289), FS-David Jones(296),
TE-Darrell Daniels(298), DE-Ifeadi Odenigbo(302), DE-Karter Schult(482)

Largent80

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3cgxpe4q said:
Using the picks from the hypothetical trade of Sherman outlined above: #'s: 26, 33, 58, 90, 102, 106, 108, 145, 210, 226.

Example draft for Seahawks using current rankings at cbssports.com 3/21/17 update. --Not a bad haul and IMO, the DB's selected would effectively replace Sherman and would be the beginning of LOB#2. Lots of great possibilities with these picks & many are local favorites often discussed herein.

26-----SS-Obi Melifonwu(33) - Use as hybrid S/LB, B/U & eventual replacement for Kam.
33-----CB-Kevin King(55) - Start at RCB, as the #1 replacement of Sherman, I think he could pull it off.
58-----OLB-Tyus Bowser(67) - A need. Start him at LB & B/U for all LB positions.
90-----CB-Rasul Douglas(91) - Competition and likely LCB starter.
102----DT-Carlos Watkins(108) - Rotational DL addition (Don't forget Q-Jeff is there too)
106----OG-Nico Siragusa(117) - One of the few OL meeting requirements, Probable B/U
108----RB-Kareem Hunt(123) - Another RB for the crew, and one that doesn't fumble.
145----CB-Shaquill Griffin(184) - May be developmental but fits the mold very well, + production.
210----OLB-Jimmy Gilbert(252) - Criminally overlooked as a developmental LB prospect.
226----SS-Shalom Luani(276) - Double down on SS, just in case of injury, a hybrid spot for him?
UDFA's:---OT-Jerry Ugokwe(247), OT-Levon Meyers(255), CB-Treston DeCoud(268),
OG-Avery Gennesy(273), WR-Jehu Chesson(285),DT-Grover Stewart(289), FS-David Jones(296),
TE-Darrell Daniels(298), DE-Ifeadi Odenigbo(302), DE-Karter Schult(482)

Those top 3 would be a haul.

Reaction score
I think trading Sherman would be a mistake! This team has a lot more problems than Richard Sherman. If we happen to trade Sherman we would open up a even bigger wound than what we already have at the corner position. We are on the verge of another super bowl with a win now mentality. Why would you trade arguably the best corner in the game for a unknown corner. You know what you are getting with Sherman with a rookie its a crap shoot.

Its something that is going to take a lot a price that I personally would not take. We have to many unknowns on this team. With he right draft if JS and Pete hits a home run I think the core of this team could have another shot at the big one. Having said that I can I see the top ten picks falling like this imo. So you would have to get to at least get to the third pick to leap frog Jacksonville to take Fournette your going to have to pay a steep price to make that happen.

1)Cleveland: Myles Garrett top player coming out regardless of position

2)San Fran: I believe this will either be a trade or they take the top Safety either Adams or Hooker whoever they value the higher. I say Adams for the reason being (A) they try to mimic the Hawks with what we did with Earl starting from the secondary and moving forward on defense. (B) I feel lynch being a former safety him self knows how important that position is. So to recap I believe the 9ers will either take Adams or drop down a couple spots.

3)Bears: Mike Williams they just lost a wr to free agency I think they try to fill that hole.

4)Jacksonville: Leonard Fournette makes the most sense its a need and they have been bringing in defensive talent in all free agency this time the offense will get a boost.

5) Titans: Marshon Lattimore Titans have their pick at best cb coming out.

6)Jets: OJ Howard they just lost a receiving threat in free agency they sign a special TE and look for a qb next year or later on during the draft.

7)Chargers: Solomon Thomas they are switching to a 4-3 they need another de they pair him up with Bosa to have some young studs on the defensive line Yikes!

8)Panthers: Dalvin Cook could be another team that could slide back in a trade and still get their man. I believe this will be a trade for someone possibly moving up to take the other safety Hooker off the board. If they stay put or if they move back I can see Cook being in a Panther uniform in the future. Could the BIlls move up a couple spots to make sure they secure Hooker?

9)Bengals: Ruben Foster they need a linebacker defensive end and a offensive lineman or possibly a wr. I think Foster wins out cuz he is a monster and he is a hell of a linebacker. When you go up against one of the best rb in Bell twice a year you have to try to counter that some how.

10)Buffalo Bills: If they do not move up and take Hooker or if Hooker slides to them they go with him. If the draft falls like I have it they take Hooker. Ross with that blazing speed could be a nice tandem to pair with Sammy Watkins too.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
thegreeninyoureye":gome79bc said:
I think trading Sherman would be a mistake! This team has a lot more problems than Richard Sherman. If we happen to trade Sherman we would open up a even bigger wound than what we already have at the corner position. We are on the verge of another super bowl with a win now mentality. Why would you trade arguably the best corner in the game for a unknown corner. You know what you are getting with Sherman with a rookie its a crap shoot.
In this scenario we didn't trade Sherman for an unknown CB. We traded Sherman for an opportunity to get an elite talent to help fix our offensive run game. But, yes we would have to downgrade Sherman's spot with either a rookie or current CB on our roster.

Its something that is going to take a lot a price that I personally would not take. We have to many unknowns on this team. With he right draft if JS and Pete hits a home run I think the core of this team could have another shot at the big one.
I can see your take on not trading Sherman no matter how many draft picks the Seahawks may get in return. But, for me the Seahawks can still make a run at the Super Bowl even without Sherman.

Having said that I can I see the top ten picks falling like this imo. So you would have to get to at least get to the third pick to leap frog Jacksonville to take Fournette your going to have to pay a steep price to make that happen.
Fournette will probably be drafted by Jacksonville, I would say there is maybe a 10% that the Jags don't draft him. If that were to happen then take Bolles at #5 or trade down.

1)Cleveland: Myles Garrett top player coming out regardless of position
Agreed.

2)San Fran: I believe this will either be a trade or they take the top Safety either Adams or Hooker whoever they value the higher. I say Adams for the reason being (A) they try to mimic the Hawks with what we did with Earl starting from the secondary and moving forward on defense. (B) I feel lynch being a former safety him self knows how important that position is. So to recap I believe the 9ers will either take Adams or drop down a couple spots.
You make a good argument for Safety. Lynch was a great Safety, but he did play with Warren Sapp whom is Hall of Fame 3-tech DT. So Thomas could be his Sapp. Reading the 49ers forum, Hooker and Thomas are the two players they want the most.

3)Bears: Mike Williams they just lost a wr to free agency I think they try to fill that hole.
Willimas at #3 would defiantly be a draft day surprise. I don't know if bears fans could stomach another top-10 WR, they chose Kevin White at pick #7 a couple of years ago. If going for a surprise pick here, I would go Haason Riddick or Garett Bolles here.[/quote]

Reaction score
cover-2":1vlmtap2 said:
[/quote:1vlmtap2 said:
In this scenario we didn't trade Sherman for an unknown CB. We traded Sherman for an opportunity to get an elite talent to help fix our offensive run game. But, yes we would have to downgrade Sherman's spot with either a rookie or current CB on our roster.(quote)

I hear you brother! Pounding the table like a scout to make this trade happen. I don't think the idea is crazy or nothing but If I was in the war room with you I would really have to think long and hard on this one. I think your Idea has some merit. However when it comes to the lineman in the draft I feel two things can happen. The top 3 or 4 guys are separated from the rest of the people coming out. However none of them are elite like we have seen before coming out like last years draft. So your either going to have a early run on them or guys are going to slide. There is a chance that we stay put and Bolles slides to us anyways. Where I wouldn't at all be against taking him at 26th at all.

But to give up Sherman I think you would have to give him up and the 26th this year and I have a hard time against that. Maybe next year's (which I would do everything in my power to avoid) but this years I dont know.

(Quote)I can see your take on not trading Sherman no matter how many draft picks the Seahawks may get in return. But, for me the Seahawks can still make a run at the Super Bowl even without Sherman. (Quote)

Agreed you are right about this with the right pieces in place even if we got rid of Sherman we could make a run. Health has a lot to do with it. Earl has been banged up a lot lately Kam too if we get rid of Sherman we are almost looking at a whole knew Secondary which I think would make the run even harder if they went down. I know you cant predict injuries however recently we have a pretty good reason to believe that Earl and Kam will miss sometime out in a season. Trading Sherman would make things a lot more harder but not impossible.

I hear you tho brother it is interesting tho I would have to see everything laid out before me before I would be willing to pull the trigger. Like I said b4 I dont think the whole idea is crazy or anything.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I think this is a good time to trade Sherman . He's not as good as he was a couple years ago and he has a lot of value right now. I think he has a couple good years left in him though not at the level he was at previously . The Seahawks are in a quasi rebuilding mode anyway so to me it makes sense to reload while Wilson is still relatively young. That's not to say the Seattle can't return to the Superbowl next year but everyone would have to stay healthy and play well and in the NFL that's very difficult to do. Getting the best RB in the draft is a good idea look what it did for Dallas.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The teams that would want Sherman at his age and contract are those with championship aspirations who are weak at secondary.

It's not that he couldn't help a Browns or Titans, but it doesn't make sense to me for either of those teams to trade a very high draft pick with five years of control at a cheap salary for a two year huge contract of an older guy who wouldn't resign with them. There's no reason for them to make an offer for his fair value.

That's not to say there are no teams that would be interested in him. I can think of one playoff team that is currently weak at secondary, runs a system that Sherman has excelled in, and puts a major emphasis on having a good secondary. If he was on Cleveland right now there would be threads about trading for him.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
AgentDib":3vc0rkm7 said:
The teams that would want Sherman at his age and contract are those with championship aspirations who are weak at secondary.

It's not that he couldn't help a Browns or Titans, but it doesn't make sense to me for either of those teams to trade a very high draft pick with five years of control at a cheap salary for a two year huge contract of an older guy who wouldn't resign with them. There's no reason for them to make an offer for his fair value.

That's not to say there are no teams that would be interested in him. I can think of one playoff team that is currently weak at secondary, runs a system that Sherman has excelled in, and puts a major emphasis on having a good secondary. If he was on Cleveland right now there would be threads about trading for him.

The Titans are a young talented team, and IMO can make a decent run in the playoffs next year. I'm assuming you looked at the Titans having the #5 overall pick was because of their record from last year. That #5 is from a trade they had made the previous year with the Rams, it's what would have been the Rams pick this year. The Titans record this past year gave them the #18 pick. Titans have a franchise QB, talented RB's, a good o-line, and a few nice players on defense. They are an up and coming team that has a chance to become a mainstay in the playoffs for the next 8 years.

Sherman, attitude wise, could get a fresh start with the Titans. There would be a great chance that he would re-sign with the Titans.

kf3339

Reaction score
cover-2":2ghnk9c8 said:
Trading Richard Sherman is highly unlikely, but here is a trade that is a win/win for both teams. The Tennessee Titans have two picks in the 1st round, the #5 and #18 picks. The Titans had one of the worst passing defense last year and CB is one of their most pressing needs. They signed Ryan Logan in free agency, but he is not a upper echelon NFL CB.

TRADE:
Titans trade their 1st round pick #5 to the Seahawks.
Seahawks trade Richard Sherman and their 1st round pick #26 to the Titans.

Why this trade makes sense for the Seahawks. At face value this may seem like the Seahawks are on the short end of this trade because they still only have one 1st round pick. Here is my logic, lets say the Seahawks tried to trade up from #26 to #5. Going off the Trade Value Chart, it would take pick #26 and pick #16 to move up to pick #5. So, we obviously don't have the #16 pick, but Sherman equates to pick #16. Or another way to look at the trade, is that we get the 1st round #16 pick for Sherman. John Schneider could trade down from pick #5 to acquire more picks or stay put. I don't want to get too trade happy for this mock, so I'll have us staying at #5.

Why this trade makes sense for the Titans. The Titans get a proven elite CB and yet still have two 1st round picks. With picks #18 and #26 they would still get great value for their top needs, which are WR, TE, or LB.

Okay now to the Seahawks mock draft...

1st round pick #5 (from Titans) - (RB) Leonard Fournette 6-0 240 lbs, LSU: IMO Fournette is the best RB to come out of college since Adrian Peterson. He is the Seahawks prototype RB and if he is still there at pick #5 then he would be too hard for them to pass up.

[youtube]pNZF09X6Nw4[/youtube]

2nd round pick - (CB) Ahkello Witherspoon 6-3 198 lbs, Colorado: Witherspoon or Kevin King are a must get for me in the draft. Witherspoon has the size, length, ball skill, and athleticism that screams Seahawks CB.

[youtube]v84iZchLGzo[/youtube]

3rd round pick - (FS) Marcus Williams 6-1 202 lbs, Utah: Williams is a athletic, ball hawking FS. Last year our defense took a nose dive when Earl Thomas was lost for the season. Williams is a single high FS and could compete for some playing time at CB. Williams is insurance if Earl Thomas decides to retire from football in a year or two.

[youtube]9TbND3Vxg4I[/youtube]

3rd round pick (comp) - (OG) Isaac Asiata 6-3 323 lbs, Utah: Asiata plays with a mean streak and he plays to the echo of the whistle, which is what I love in o-lineman. Asiata looks more athletic on tape than he tested at the combine. Asiata on tape looks more athletic and nimble than the higher rated o-lineman Taylor Moton. While Moton tested better at the combine, its Asiata that proves, on tape, that he is the better athlete.

[youtube]3rhTDXlrxWw[/youtube]

Here is some tape of Asiata vs BYU.
https://youtu.be/IRmhZ-foaqg

3rd round pick (comp) - (LB) Vince Biegel 6-3 246 lbs, Wisconsin: Biegel is a run stopping, high motor SLB. Biegel also bring some pass rush ability coming from the SLB position. Coach Carrol prefers size and length at the LB position and Biegel has that.

[youtube]Jc8uQZkwgBI[/youtube]

6th round pick - (WR) Robert Davis 6-3 219 lbs, Georgia St: Davis is a raw prospect that has size and great athletic ability to intrigue the Seahawks. Davis at his size ran a 4.44 40-yard dash, had a 41 inch vertical jump, and had a 136 inch broad jump. He doesn't look to have good initial quickness off the line, but then again we are talking about 6th round WR's.

[youtube]N0PqnF-q4p8[/youtube]

7th round pick - (DE/DT) Caleb Kidder 6-5 269 lbs, Montana: Kidder was recently worked out by the Seahawks at his Pro Day.

[youtube]vpTkSPHF8YY[/youtube]

I might do the trade for Sherman and our 2nd, but wouldn't even consider giving up our 1st round pick. I may even only offer Sherman and our 1st third round pick first and see if they bite. But to me Sherman is too valuable to basically give away by moving up in the first round.

As for the picks, I would really have to consider whether any RB is worth it that high in the draft unless he is a generational player. Not sure Fournette is that guy.

Chapow

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":359k60h4 said:
Getting the best RB in the draft is a good idea look what it did for Dallas.

Eh, this comment is missing a ton of context.

For one, while Elliott is obviously a very good RB, he has the massive benefit of playing behind the best O Line in the league. That makes a huge difference. Does anyone really believe he would have done as well behind our O Line? I certainly don't.

Second, I don't think anyone expected Dak Prescott to step in as a 4th round rookie QB and play anywhere near as well as he did. That makes a big difference to a RB/running game as well.

Third, for all the things that Dallas had going for it last season (Prescott, Elliott, that all world OL, etc.), they made it no further than we did in the playoffs. Hell, at least we won a playoff game. Dallas can't say the same.

Point being, I don't think getting the best RB in the draft is what led Dallas to a 13-3 record in the regular season and then one and done in the playoffs. It certainly helped, but they had a lot go right for them last year besides Elliott. Quite frankly, I think they could have done almost as well (maybe even just as well) with a less talented RB.

And good gawd, hell no would I trade one of the leagues best CBs, and a 1st round pick to take a RB at #5 overall.

DJrmb

Reaction score
What about Sherman and our #26 pick for both of New Orleans picks (#11 and #32)? I think that works on the draft value chart as #11 + #32 would equate to a value of 1840, minus our #26 pick would bring it down to 1140 or basically a mid 1st round pick.

New Orleans is already looking at possibly trading a pick for Malcolm Butler... Also they are in win now mode I think with Brees being 38 going on 39 this season.

penihawk

Reaction score
If we are going to trade him, I do like this proposal with N.O. It gives us alot of flexibility to move around with 11 & 32. I could see us taking an impact edge player or wr at 11 or moving back a bit,adding a pick or two later and grabbing a OT like Ramczyk or Bolles. 32 is a prime spot to trade back into the early 2nd and add a 3rd or 4th with a team wanting to come up and get the 5th year on a qb at 32.

Atradees

Reaction score
I pick you guys for gm. No one's trading a first for Sherman let alone a top ten pick. Love to see it....
I also have a feeling this will be a defensive draft and that the Seahawks feel offensive line has been addressed in free agency.

Buddha Baker or Kevin King as local products likely. Hawks get a high 3rd for Sherman and pick a late second day Olineman not on anyone's board.

Personally, I would pick a highly rated tackle in the late first. Then use him in his college position and build from there.

penihawk

Reaction score
You may be right as far as anyone giving up that much compensation for RS. However we have him under contract for 2 more years so giving him away for a 3rd would pretty much make me question Pete and John's ability to build and lead this team forward.

Put RS in with this group of CB's and rate them 1st - 4th rds. Base it on a 4 -5 year contract like the rookies will be on,figure in Sherman's age,he will be 32-33 at the end of it and his known skills/abilities in this league. I didn't come up with him being in the 3rd round talent group regardless of his age at the end of that 5 year deal. He is still a 1st rd talent and in the top 5 of the group. It will be interesting to see what happens with him, I'm kinda leaning towards nothing but it's still fun to speculate this time of year.

Regardless, this draft class is going to be critical of whether we compete for SB's the next 5-6 years or we are just a playoff contender. I think that is part of why they are exploring the value of RS before this draft.

Hyak

Reaction score
There no way the OP scenario happens. If Tennessee had offered the 5th pick, he'd be country line dancing in Nashville already.

I think the best the Seahawks could do in a trade is a late 1st rounder or a combination of a day 2 pick and a player. Regardless, I love what they have done with this exercise as it allows Sherman to see/be involved in his alternatives while also reinforcing what his true market value is which may serve to either fire him up, humble him, or both.

I agree with the assessment that this will be a defensive oriented draft, which should play out well for the Hawks.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Atradees":zgm1skt9 said:
I pick you guys for gm. No one's trading a first for Sherman let alone a top ten pick. Love to see it....
I also have a feeling this will be a defensive draft and that the Seahawks feel offensive line has been addressed in free agency.

Buddha Baker or Kevin King as local products likely. Hawks get a high 3rd for Sherman and pick a late second day Olineman not on anyone's board.

Personally, I would pick a highly rated tackle in the late first. Then use him in his college position and build from there.
Are we talking about the same player? Sherman is arguably the top CB in football on a HoF pace and still in his prime for another year or two. If that player isn't worth a 1st round pick then I don't know who is.

Jimmy Graham was worth a 1st round pick as a TE which is a much less important position than a #1 CB, which is why Pete and John are asking for a starter and a high pick.

Now with that said, you very well could be right that no one is going to give up the value to get him because a trade is more than just what someone is worth. It's also about the other team being in the right position where it makes sense for them to pull the trigger. I don't think there are a lot of teams in that position where it would make sense. Maybe New Orleans, maybe New England if they lose Butler, maybe the Chargers to win with Rivers and build a fan base in LA before the Rams...

Most likely a trade is not going to happen. However, I think it's pretty safe to say one of the best players at his position is worth a 1st round draft pick.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
JTB":3liqjvcb said:
There no way the OP scenario happens. If Tennessee had offered the 5th pick, he'd be country line dancing in Nashville already.

I think the best the Seahawks could do in a trade is a late 1st rounder or a combination of a day 2 pick and a player. Regardless, I love what they have done with this exercise as it allows Sherman to see/be involved in his alternatives while also reinforcing what his true market value is which may serve to either fire him up, humble him, or both.

I agree with the assessment that this will be a defensive oriented draft, which should play out well for the Hawks.

I agree I don't see a top ten pick going to Seattle for Sherman and I wouldn't trade him for less than that, that doesn't mean the Seahawks won't though I guess we'll see soon enough. If they did get say a 20th pick for Sherman netting us two first round picks it wouldn't be the end of the world .