Malik McDowell

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
A motivated McDowell is a worthy successor to Michael Bennett.

I really didn't want McDowell leading up to the draft. I just don't think that unmotivated players suddenly discover it late. But I also concede that we're on the outside of this thing and we can't really judge that aspect of players. About the closest we get is what coaches and team mates will allow to slip publicly.

All that said, if McDowell didn't have question marks, he's not getting out of the top 10. Pass rushers, particularly players who can do so from the interior, are worth as much as left tackles. So rolling the dice at the top of R2 on a player who can literally make this draft by himself is a worthwhile risk. Particularly on a player who is still only 20 years of age.

I have more faith in Pete Carroll to extract the best of players with off field question marks than any other coach in this league. So if McDowell is going to achieve his elite potential, he's in the very best place he could have hoped for.

Should McDowell pan out, Seattle has set itself up for many years, having already drafted Avril's successor in Clark who definitely looks like he'll be able to live to that standard this year. If McDowell comes out of the gate hot, this pass rush is simply downright scary. Should he shine early, this will be the best unit we've ever fielded. And that's a tantalizing thought.

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2wgog3sq said:
A motivated McDowell is a worthy successor to Michael Bennett.

I really didn't want McDowell leading up to the draft. I just don't think that unmotivated players suddenly discover it late. But I also concede that we're on the outside of this thing and we can't really judge that aspect of players. About the closest we get is what coaches and team mates will allow to slip publicly.

All that said, if McDowell didn't have question marks, he's not getting out of the top 10. Pass rushers, particularly players who can do so from the interior, are worth as much as left tackles. So rolling the dice at the top of R2 on a player who can literally make this draft by himself is a worthwhile risk. Particularly on a player who is still only 20 years of age.

I have more faith in Pete Carroll to extract the best of players with off field question marks than any other coach in this league. So if McDowell is going to achieve his elite potential, he's in the very best place he could have hoped for.

Should McDowell pan out, Seattle has set itself up for many years, having already drafted Avril's successor in Clark who definitely looks like he'll be able to live to that standard this year. If McDowell comes out of the gate hot, this pass rush is simply downright scary. Should he shine early, this will be the best unit we've ever fielded. And that's a tantalizing thought.

The best part of what we need to see from McDowell is not much. He can flash equal to Clarks rookie season and have a huge impact on the rest of the defenses sack totals. Just a consistent interior pressure with McDowell getting say 6 sacks this year, equals 3-5 + sacks PER DEFENSIVE LINEMEN. I can see Avril Bennett, Clark, all getting 14+ sacks each, and then the other guys like Marsh, Wags, Wright, all getting 6 ish each.

bighawk

Reaction score
I expect more from McDowell only because I was a big supporter of his when most were complaining that he is lazy and not Seahawky. It would not surprise me if he has double digit sacks this guy is special, unique and gifted he won't see much or any double teams our stealth package most call it NASCAR but I refuse to use that. All he needs to focus on is his strength and technique. Again he is special.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Well, this is interesting.

Seems everyone liked the pick at the time, for the most part.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
it proves how critically important character is to the realization of physical talent. You also need to have more than buzzard's luck as well. Sadly in this player's case neither were present and he was a epic bust. His failure hurt the team.

getnasty

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1dktdwki said:
it proves how critically important character is to the realization of physical talent. You also need to have more than buzzard's luck as well. Sadly in this player's case neither were present and he was a epic bust. His failure hurt the team.

I'm not sure character was the problem in the sense that it was an injury that killed his career. If you want to say he has bad character because he was riding a ATV at the age of 20 then most in the NFL have bad character.

I know he feel due to lack of motivation but that's not why he didn't make it in the league.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bad decision making is the reason he didn’t play a down in the NFL.
Bad decision making almost cost him his life in a drunken scuffle with a cop last year.
See a pattern?

mrblitz

Reaction score
i was going to say, 'didn't we already get someone named 'malik' from michigan state?'... then realized the dates on this thread.