The 2018 Recruiting Thread

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
bigtrain21":1j6bafki said:
Ha ha. So I don't follow recruiting too much until a week or so before signing day. I do read about kids if they sign and check in every once in awhile. I admit I didn't know what a non-commitable offer was until I googled it. How do you know it was non-commitable and why would taggart have non-commitable offers out there this early in the process? Non-commitable or not, Taggart was interested.

It's interesting, UW and UO right now are just about complete opposites in recruiting philosophies. Under Chris Petersen the Huskies are very selective in who they offer. They will pretty much only offer guys if they're ready to accept a commitment from them (under Chip Kelly and Mark Helfrich the Ducks were the same way). To be honest, its a much more ethical way of recruiting.

Under Taggart the Ducks are taking more of a shot gun approach to recruiting, and they play "the game" a little bit more.
They have thrown out 100's of offers, probably 3 or 4 times more than UW has. Some of those kids will get offered then hardly even be recruited. Some will get offered and be in constant communication with the coaching staff, but will be slow played and pushed back if they try and commit. Its a way of keeping back up options if things fall through with the top targets. That's the category that Ale fell in with the ducks.

Right now Oregon has 21 commits and probably room for 7 or 8 more. They have offers out to about 300 kids all across the country but there are probably only about 15-20 who they are actively recruiting and would accept commits from. I know of at least 3 kids with offers who have tried to commit but have been told thanks but no thanks. Its kind of slimy and unethical, but its recruiting.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2eiq8bd7 said:
Low 3 star olinemen MJ Ale from Tacoma is a husky. He's big, 6'7", 340, but that's about it.

Not "just big".

Three time Australian Golden Gloves heavyweight boxing champion, and a high level rugby player until moving to Tacoma a few years ago.

Only exposed to football for a couple of years now and while he's got a big learning curve, he's a really good athlete for a kid of his size.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":323e1k71 said:
JSeahawks":323e1k71 said:
Low 3 star olinemen MJ Ale from Tacoma is a husky. He's big, 6'7", 340, but that's about it.

Not "just big".

Three time Australian Golden Gloves heavyweight boxing champion, and a high level rugby player until moving to Tacoma a few years ago.

Only exposed to football for a couple of years now and while he's got a big learning curve, he's a really good athlete for a kid of his size.

Thats funny, I dont know a lick about scouting o'linemen, but the guys who I trust said that his biggest problem is that he doesnt play with enough aggression, which is pretty wierd coming from a boxer and rugby player. And this criticism was from back when the Ducks offered him, long before he became a Husky, so its not just sourgrapes.

In any case, I think scouting and projecting o'linemen from high school to college is just about the toughest position. Many high ranked guys become nothing, and many low or unranked guys become studs. Time will tell. I also read some guys on the Husky site speculating that he might move to d'line. So, we'll see.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1i7mkyps said:
Thats funny, I dont know a lick about scouting o'linemen, but the guys who I trust said that his biggest problem is that he doesnt play with enough aggression, which is pretty wierd coming from a boxer and rugby player.

He's a teddy bear of a kid, but I think any hesitation he plays with is more a factor of him just not really knowing what the hell he was doing. His exposure to football pre highschool was essentially nil.

Also, don't be surprised if he's announced as a DT by the time signing day rolls around. There's a Canadian OL prospect that the coaching staff is doing some more work on, and if they decide to offer, Ale may flip to DL, he's similar in size and athleticism to Vita Vea.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be nice if both Oregon and Washington are actually both good teams when they play each other for once? Well, at least for the first time since like the 2000 season? Would make the game actually exciting again....

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
fenderbender123":he671p92 said:
Wouldn't it be nice if both Oregon and Washington are actually both good teams when they play each other for once? Well, at least for the first time since like the 2000 season? Would make the game actually exciting again....

This year UW should win comfortably again. 2018, 19 and 20 are setting up to be pretty epic.

drrew

Reaction score
SeatownJay":12qysw2h said:
4* offensive lineman and nephew of Danny Shelton Nathaniel Kalepo commits to Washington. He's class of 2019, not '18.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-h ... ign=buffer

He was ready to commit to Oregon earlier in the Summer until family made him wait, but he seems pretty solid now with his decision so I don't expect a flip.

Big kid, feet probably will never be good enough for an elite LT, but could be an absolute mauler at RT.

Also, it gets reported that Shelton is his uncle, but that's not true, the families are just super close and Kalepo refers to Shelton as his uncle.

CPHawk

Reaction score
OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":14idzvnt said:
SeatownJay":14idzvnt said:
4* offensive lineman and nephew of Danny Shelton Nathaniel Kalepo commits to Washington. He's class of 2019, not '18.

He was ready to commit to Oregon earlier in the Summer until family made him wait, but he seems pretty solid now with his decision so I don't expect a flip.

Big kid, feet probably will never be good enough for an elite LT, but could be an absolute mauler at RT.

Also, it gets reported that Shelton is his uncle, but that's not true, the families are just super close and Kalepo refers to Shelton as his uncle.

He's visiting Eugene this weekend. A long at to go in this recruitment.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2buv91vz said:
drrew":2buv91vz said:
SeatownJay":2buv91vz said:

He's visiting Eugene this weekend. A long at to go in this recruitment.

Not what i heard. Expectations are for him to be at UW's game. Either way UW will win this battle since mom wants him to stay home. It's like that danny shelton situation all over again.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Ducks flip 4 star QB Tyler Schough from North CArolina. Kids 6'4", from Chandler, Arizona. He'll be an early enrollee. He's basically a Justin Herbert clone.

[youtube]FckuoEg-01E[/youtube]

davidonmi

Reaction score
kalepo was at husky stadium not Eugene btw.

Togiai was in town and while the visit "went well" I still don't see us beating out tOSU.
Need to get two of taimani, tremblay and Langham.

drrew

Reaction score
davidonmi":107x2iyn said:
kalepo was at husky stadium not Eugene btw.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Kimberleerie6/status/916859373418291200[/tweet]

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Kaleipo wants to be a Duck. His mom wants him to be a Husky. Gotta love parents that wont let their kids make their own decisions Oh well, Cristobol will probably land somebody better.

davidonmi

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1y29zmg3 said:
Kaleipo wants to be a Duck. His mom wants him to be a Husky. Gotta love parents that wont let their kids make their own decisions Oh well, Cristobol will probably land somebody better.
1. you don't know what he really wants. his twitter timeline does not back up your assertion. you could be right, you could not be right.
2. good luck finding someone better. that BS hype Oregon had this summer is starting to wear off. Taggart is your sark

IndyHawk

Reaction score
davidonmi":1dkdvhh1 said:
JSeahawks":1dkdvhh1 said:
1. you don't know what he really wants. his twitter timeline does not back up your assertion. you could be right, you could not be right.
2. good luck finding someone better. that BS hype Oregon had this summer is starting to wear off. Taggart is your sark
This is funny.."Taggart is your Sark"..JS you better hope not

Latest posts