Omg, WSU's QB Tyler Halinski commited suicide.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Horribly sad news. My thoughts go out to his family, friends, and his WSU family. :(
Had a great Highschool teacher that said this early and often... “suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem”.
I know it’s not always that simple, but it’s true.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
At some point, people are going to understand that depression is a chemical thing.

It is an imbalance in the way the brain works.

You could be sitting on top of lottery winnings in a yacht off Hawaii and still be in that deep chasm.

Yes, circumstances can exacerbate it. But for the most part, it does not have to be related to environment.

It is a chemical thing, and it affects like brain just like other chemicals affect the brain.

It isn't a choice. It is a reaction to a condition.

So yeah, he had everything to live for. But being a disease, that does not matter. The suicide that comes from it is an attempt to self-medicate, not 'a solution to a problem'. It isn't a selfish choice, it is a response to the issues in the brain of the person affected.

My brother had his kid, an amazing 12 year old girl, hospitalized for suicide over the holidays.

Luckily, she is getting help. But holy crap.

The objective for anyone that even has someone HINT at suicide is to be supportive, take it seriously and get them to a mental health professional. Sometimes when people are hinting at it, they are testing the waters to see if they really are alone. It is important to let them know they are not. Let them know they matter and then take it seriously.

This really sucks because there is help out there and ways to treat this condition. So hopefully more people will understand that there is a way out, and that there are other options out there.

D

DomeHawk

TwistedHusky":2ao10q5w said:
At some point, people are going to understand that depression is a chemical thing.

It is an imbalance in the way the brain works.

You could be sitting on top of lottery winnings in a yacht off Hawaii and still be in that deep chasm.

Yes, circumstances can exacerbate it. But for the most part, it does not have to be related to environment.

It is a chemical thing, and it affects like brain just like other chemicals affect the brain.

It isn't a choice. It is a reaction to a condition.

So yeah, he had everything to live for. But being a disease, that does not matter. The suicide that comes from it is an attempt to self-medicate, not 'a solution to a problem'. It isn't a selfish choice, it is a response to the issues in the brain of the person affected.

My brother had his kid, an amazing 12 year old girl, hospitalized for suicide over the holidays.

Luckily, she is getting help. But holy crap.

The objective for anyone that even has someone HINT at suicide is to be supportive, take it seriously and get them to a mental health professional. Sometimes when people are hinting at it, they are testing the waters to see if they really are alone. It is important to let them know they are not. Let them know they matter and then take it seriously.

This really sucks because there is help out there and ways to treat this condition. So hopefully more people will understand that there is a way out, and that there are other options out there.

Good post Twisted, clearly there is a difference between situational and clinical depression but both can be devastating for the individual suffering from them. It just breaks my heart when I see young people assign such hopelessness to their lives that are just starting. Awareness starts with each and every one of us.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
hannibalking":2ts5dzek said:
IndyHawk":2ts5dzek said:
Sad and I don't understand why..I feel for his family and friends who would have helped him.
All he had to do was talk to them.

As someone who has attempted suicide before, that’s not always as easy as it sounds. Especially when one feels just complete hopelessness about himself and the future. I was lucky in that my friend found me and rushed me to the hospital. I understand your thoughts though. This news hit me pretty hard because I’ve almost been in his situation, I just hope that whatever lies beyond that he finds peace.
Glad you are ok now.
I was just being honest when I said I did not understand.
Not meant to hurt or offend in any way to anyone.
Hope your husband recovers well(to other post)

gowazzu02

Reaction score
I still can't really think about this with out tearing up. Incredibly deeply saddening.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
So sad. Was excited what this guy could do for us the next couple years.

Appreciate those that have shared personal experiences with this. Pray for this dudes soul. Wish there could have been someone there that could have reached out to him. Can't imagine what his family is going through right now and wish nothing but strength and hope for them.