The 2018 Recruiting Thread

Anajimmc

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":33z3u9xr said:
Anajimmc":33z3u9xr said:
JSeahawks":33z3u9xr said:
Anajimmc":33z3u9xr said:
Talanoa Hufanga is a Trojan. big get!!!!

5 star safety from Corvallis. This one stings a bit. He was likely going to be a Duck until Taggart left. This kid will be starting on Sundays in 4 years.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/392092/talanoa-hufanga

Obviously I'm biased, but I think he'll fit in nicely in the Sua Cravens role in Pendergast's defense, That'll make him a matchup nightmare as a blitzer and covering out of the backfield.

After watching USC get thoroughly out-coached tonight in every facet of the game, I'm no so sure...

Man that was hard to watch. The defense didn't do too bad the offense stunk up the field.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
It was like watching the Seahawks last night. The O-Line got destroyed, couldn't get a run game going enough to respect the play action and Darnold isn't Wilson.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
Anajimmc":wmljb30c said:
JT Daniels is reclassifying and the 2019 commit will come in with the 2018 class. Now Amen Ra St Brown and Solomon T are likely a locks.

Amen Ra is in, now time for Solomon T. ITS would be great but it sounds like he's recently become enamored with the SEC, time will tell.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
So 2019 there's Eason, Yankoff and Sirmon along with the potential recruit next year mentioned above.

If Yankoff and Sirmon are as good as people say then Eason is making a huge mistake. Will be out the game for a year by that point. Surely an Oregon St would be better or going straight to playing for an Eastern Washington or someone.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":pjzcfy81 said:
So 2019 there's Eason, Yankoff and Sirmon along with the potential recruit next year mentioned above.

If Yankoff and Sirmon are as good as people say then Eason is making a huge mistake. Will be out the game for a year by that point. Surely an Oregon St would be better or going straight to playing for an Eastern Washington or someone.

Eason and Yankoff should be a really good battle. Sirmon is quite a few steps below them, imo. I think Yankoff will be the best of the bunch.

hawkman

Reaction score
Recruiting is a big deal, coaching a bigger deal. Oregon isn’t going anywhere until they find a coach. Right now they have the second, if not the worst coach in the conference.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Yeah IMO Oregon is in a critical situation. They've had 2 down years now, and Cristobal isn't exactly a thrilling hire, and will probably be given 2 or 3 years to prove himself. They are continuing to recruit well largely because of their brand...kids in high school who grew up watching the Ducks be awesome with Chip Kelly. But that will start to wear off sooner than you think.

Of course, it can always be built back, but the longer it goes the harder that process becomes.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkman":reoez4t6 said:
Recruiting is a big deal, coaching a bigger deal. Oregon isn’t going anywhere until they find a coach. Right now they have the second, if not the worst coach in the conference.

I would not trade Oregon's coaching staff (especially the defensive coaching staff) with any other school in the conference. Also absolutely love Cristobal as the figurehead and closer on the recruiting trail. Arroyo as the offensive coordinator i have some concerns about, and I dont love the wide receivers coach.

hawkman

Reaction score
JSeahawks":hmjtgeu9 said:
hawkman":hmjtgeu9 said:

I would not trade Oregon's coaching staff (especially the defensive coaching staff) with any other school in the conference. Also absolutely love Cristobal as the figurehead and closer on the recruiting trail. Arroyo as the offensive coordinator i have some concerns about, and I dont love the wide receivers coach.

His record as HC is 27-48. He is a bad coach. And Oregon is going to lose a lot of games the next year or two while he is is there.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Not to mention he's also been demoted as an assistant coach twice.

Baffling hire, really.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawkman":189bptdf said:
JSeahawks":189bptdf said:
hawkman":189bptdf said:

His record as HC is 27-48. He is a bad coach. And Oregon is going to lose a lot of games the next year or two while he is is there.

You should go back and research and read a little bit about the situation that he walked into and was coaching in while earning that 27-48 record. The fact that they won 27 games is a miracle.

The beauty of sports is that we'll know in two or 3 years. But i'm very happy and excited for the near future of Oregon football. I fully expect to be contending for the pac 12 title this year and the National title in 2019.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":qid8ks75 said:
hawkman":qid8ks75 said:
JSeahawks":qid8ks75 said:
hawkman":qid8ks75 said:

You should go back and research and read a little bit about the situation that he walked into and was coaching in while earning that 27-48 record. The fact that they won 27 games is a miracle.

The beauty of sports is that we'll know in two or 3 years. But i'm very happy and excited for the near future of Oregon football. I fully expect to be contending for the pac 12 title this year and the National title in 2019.

Another truly bizarre post. Yes, anything can happen but contending for the national title in 2019? What's this based on? Oregon has a decent recruiting class this but if you look at the avg. rating of their players (a more accurate representation of the class) they would be around #22. UW would be right about where they are.

As for not trading Oregon's coaching staff for any other? You are being disingenuous, you would give your left nut for Petersen/Lake and Co. There isn't one single professional sport's writer or knowledgeable Pac-12 fan that would agree w/your assessment.

There are all kinds of reasons young athletes from mostly urban areas don't want to go to Eugene, demographics, culture, and lack of economic opportunities for those that don't go pro, etc.

Smart kids are going to avoid that sinking ship.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Another truly bizarre post. Yes, anything can happen but contending for the national title in 2019? What's this based on? Oregon has a decent recruiting class this but if you look at the avg. rating of their players (a more accurate representation of the class) they would be around #22. UW would be right about where they are.

Lets compare in 3 weeks when the class is complete. I'm not saying they're going to win the National Title. I'm saying they'll be a top 10ish team which puts them in the conversation where they could win it if everything breaks right. Basically, i'd consider anybody who makes the pac 12 title game a contender.

As for not trading Oregon's coaching staff for any other? You are being disingenuous, you would give your left nut for Petersen/Lake and Co. There isn't one single professional sport's writer or knowledgeable Pac-12 fan that would agree w/your assessment.

You dont know me. You have no clue if i'm being disingeniuous. I love Jimmy Lake. I also love Keith Heyward, Donte Williams and Jim Leavitt. I dont see any reason to make the trade for any of those 3. I also think Petersen is a hell of a coach, yes, probably better then Cristobal. I also find him incredibly boring and dont think he would be a good fit culturally for what Ducks football is supposed to be. He's probably a top 7 coach in college football, but he wouldnt be a top 20 choice for who i'd want coaching the Ducks. I dont care about the national sports writers, i'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinions.

There are all kinds of reasons young athletes from mostly urban areas don't want to go to Eugene, demographics, culture, and lack of economic opportunities for those that don't go pro, etc.

Sure. There's also a ton of kids who will come to Eugene and fall in love. Cant get them all. But only need to find 25ish. For example, De'Anthony Thomas. Inner city Los Angeles kid. Nobody thought he was leaving LA. Came to Eugene and loved fishing, being outdoors and enjoying the area now glows about it anytime he talks about it.

D

DomeHawk

Lets compare in 3 weeks when the class is complete. I'm not saying they're going to win the National Title. I'm saying they'll be a top 10ish team which puts them in the conversation.

Why? Because you will have 30 recruits? That is just the result of unbalanced classes, Petersen likes 17-20 every year. Where is the attrition? It sure as hell isn't because Oregon is sending early signers to the pros because that is NOT happening in any numbers anymore.

As for NC contention, that's a joke. Herbert is gone this year, you are going to be a top-10 NC contender w/o a QB that has started one single game? Amazing.

You dont know me. You have no clue if i'm being disingeniuous. I love Jimmy Lake. I also love Keith Heyward, Donte Williams and Jim Leavitt. I dont see any reason to make the trade for any of those 3. I also think Petersen is a hell of a coach, yes, probably better then Cristobal. I also find him incredibly boring and dont think he would be a good fit culturally for what Ducks football is supposed to be. I dont care about the national sports writers, i'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinions.

I remember you touting DC Leavitt as a coach that had the Pac's #1 defense at Colorado. That was ONE year, the rest of the years at Col. his defenses were far down the line. Jim Leavitt is a good defensive coordinator when he has 4th and 5th year seniors, period.

Sure. There's also a ton of kids who will come to Eugene and fall in love. Cant get them all. But we can get the right ones.

Eugene? Fall in love? They might fall in love but it sure as hell won't be w/Eugene, lol.