Do Seattle Have a Drafting Problem?

original poster

Reaction score
With the importance of the draft to all NFL teams, I wanted to take a closer look at how Seattle has performed in player evaluation and ultimately, player selections in the last few drafts. Many will have you believe it’s been awful and they may be right. Many have said the success from 2010 to 2012 is purely down to Scot McCloughan’s ability to evaluate talent and the Seahawks have just rode the wave of his success. Lets find out if it’s true.

We know the drafting from 2010 to 2012 was elite, like the best 3 years any team has ever drafted elite. So I’m going to focus on 2013 onwards.

I am going to use a baseball analogy to grade each pick. Strike, single, double, triple and home run.  

2013 draft –

Round 2 - Christine Michael                         Single
Round 3 - Jordan Hill                                    Single
Round 4 - Chris Harper                                Strike
Round 5 - Jesse Williams                             Strike
Round 5 - Tharold Simon                              Single
Round 5 - Luke Willson                                 Triple
Round 6 - Spencer Ware,                             Strike
Round 7 - Ryan Seymour                              Strike
Round 7 - Ty Powell                                       Strike
Round 7 - Jared Smith                                   Strike
Round 7 - Michael Bowie                               Single

Of those players, 3 got cut before the 2013 season got underway, 2 never played in any season, 2 lasted 1 season, 3 lasted 2 seasons, one lasted 4 seasons and was extended for a year.

Strikes – 6
Singles – 4
Doubles – 0
Triples – 1
Homeruns – 0

Pretty underwhelming as I’m sure you’ll agree. None of the 2013 draft class remain on the roster, although Luke Willson may be resigned.

2014 draft –

Round 2 - Paul Richardson                             Triple
Round 2 – Justin Britt                                      Homerun
Round 4 – Cassius Marsh                               Double                       
Round 4 – Kevin Norwood                              Single
Round 4 – Kevin Pierre-Louis                         Single
Round 5 – Jimmy Staten                                 Strike
Round 6 – Garett Scott                                    Strike
Round 6 – Eric Pinkins                                    Single
Round 7 – Kiero Small                                    Strike

Of those players, 2 didn’t play a single season, 1 remains on the roster, 2 lasted 1 season, 1 lasted 2 seasons, 2 lasted 3 seasons, 1 lasted 4 seasons.

Strikes – 3
Singles – 3
Doubles – 1
Triples – 1
Homeruns – 1

Definitely a subpar draft but certainly better than 2013. Justin Britt is still on the roster and has worked out. Paul Richardson could be classed as a homerun but the fact he wasn’t resigned by the team means I can only value him as a triple. The rest didn’t really provide any value whatsoever in the grand scheme of things.

2015 draft –

Round 2 – Frank Clark                                     Homerun
Round 3 – Tyler Lockett                                   Triple
Round 4 - Terry Poole                                      Strike
Round 4 - Mark Glowinski                               Single
Round 5 - Tye Smith                                        Single
Round 6 - Obum Gwacham                            Strike  
Round 6 - Kristjan Sokoli                                 Strike
Round 7 - Ryan Murphy                                  Strike

Of those, 2 are still on the roster, 3 didn’t play a single season, 2 played in 1 season, 1 played in 3 seasons.

Strikes – 4
Singles – 2
Doubles – 0
Triples – 1
Homeruns – 1

You could make arguments either way for the 2015 draft. Getting two solid starters who are both likely to get extensions isn’t bad at all but missing on the other 6 is pretty costly for the team as a whole. “could have done better” rings true here.

2016 draft –

Round 1 – Germain Ifedi                                Double
Round 2 – Jarran Reed                                  Triple
Round 3 – C.J. Prosise                                   Double
Round 3 – Nick Vannett                                  Single
Round 3 – Rees Odhiambo                            Single
Round 5 – Quinton Jefferson                          Single
Round 5 – Alex Collins                                    Strike (for the Seahawks at least!)     
Round 6 – Joey Hunt                                      Single             
Round 7 – Kenny Lawler                                Strike
Round 7 – Zac Brooks                                    Strike

7 are still on the roster, 1 didn’t play a single season & 2 lasted a single season

Strikes – 3
Singles – 4
Doubles – 1
Triples – 1
Homeruns - 0

This is where it gets a bit harder to evaluate given each player has only been in the league for 2 seasons and may still be learning. For now I am giving them what I’d class as a fair grade given how they have performed to date, but some could easily see their grades increase this season dependant on how they perform. Ifedi, Prosise and Vannett are all players who could see big jumps in performance this season.

I’d say this draft is ‘to be confirmed’ however I don’t envision any homeruns. Jarran Reed seems the only possibility but he seems like a prime candidate that played well but will not be offered a second contract by the team.

2017 draft –

Round 2 – Malik McDowell                            Strike
Round 2 – Ethan Pocic                                  Double
Round 3 – Shaquill Griffin                              Triple
Round 3 – Delano Hill                                    Single
Round 3 – Nazair Jones                                Triple
Round 3 – Amara Darboh                              Single
Round 4 – Tedric Thompson                          Single
Round 6 – Mike Tyson                                    Single
Round 6 – Justin Senior                                 Strike
Round 7 – David Moore                                 Single
Round 7 – Chris Carson                                 Triple

Of the 11 players drafted in 2017, 10 remain on the roster which is promising. All these players were rookies last season but this draft class has shown some real potential and although there’s 5 singles right now, every single one of those could ‘move up’ to higher grades. I feel pretty optimistic about this draft as a whole, especially finding your RB1 or RB2 in the 7th round.

Strikes – 2
Singles – 5
Doubles – 1
Triples – 3
Homeruns - 0

So how have they stacked up overall over the course of the last 5 drafts?

Strikes – 18
Singles – 18
Doubles – 3
Triples – 7
Homeruns – 2

Considering the likes of Amara Darboh, Tedric Thompson, Delano Hill, Ethan Pocic, Nick Vannett and maybe even Germain Ifedi could make big jumps in 2018, I don’t think it’s fair to say the Seahawks have been as appalling in the draft as many would have you believe. Sure, for the most part 2013 and 2014 were truly awful. But 2015 had upside as well as 2016 and 2017 looking, on the surface, promising at the very least, I certainly don’t buy what the “JS can’t draft” crew are selling, and neither should you.

It will be interesting to see what JS does with the 2018 draft picks available to him and things will certainly get more interesting if a team does in fact give up a first round pick for Earl Thomas. That will certainly soften the blow or Seattle currently having a total of zero day 2 picks (round 2 and round 3). With their abundance of round 5 picks I can absolutely see a hefty trade up back into the later round 3 area with some of those picks, too. It’s also a given that pick 18 won’t be selected by the Seattle Seahawks, however it is yet to be determined if the team will leave the first round all together as they did last year or if they stick in the first and grab a third rounder as compensation for picking at the end of the round as opposed to the middle of the round.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
I think Justin Britt being considered a home run speaks volumes.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3ojomk88 said:

I get your point but the fact he’s been above average for the last two years is enough for me. With the price lineman are getting it’s a very fair contract, too.

chris98251

Reaction score
You can't give players strikes if they succeed elsewhere on other teams like Ware and Collins as examples.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
chris98251":dbv4apeh said:
You can't give players strikes if they succeed elsewhere on other teams like Ware and Collins as examples.

This is what I was thinking also.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
WmHBonney":1i7zxjnq said:
chris98251":1i7zxjnq said:

Why not? They are drafting for the Seattle Seahawks, not other teams. By this logic, Steve Largent was a home run for the Houston Oilers.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2a6tkpmk said:
WmHBonney":2a6tkpmk said:
chris98251":2a6tkpmk said:

Why not? They are drafting for the Seattle Seahawks, not other teams. By this logic, Steve Largent was a home run for the Houston Oilers.

Because the players could play in the NFL and our staff misused or could not scheme to use them, Cable mostly with his lack of blocking from his Line.

Oh and the Oilers were regretful later saying it was one of their biggest mistakes as well.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
chris98251":2sn2shfw said:

Ultimately this is based on this team, how they perform for other teams is, in effect, pretty irrelevant (albeit frustrating at times)

Seafan":2sn2shfw said:
They does.

Constructive, thanks for the contribution.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2vig8wkz said:
Seanhawk":2vig8wkz said:
WmHBonney":2vig8wkz said:
chris98251":2vig8wkz said:

Because the players could play in the NFL and our staff misused or could not scheme to use them, Cable mostly with his lack of blocking from his Line.

Oh and the Oilers were regretful later saying it was one of their biggest mistakes as well.

But why were they regretful? They drafted a Hall of Famer.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
But if Seattle wound up not keeping those players, then how can we say they were a good draft pick? I guess you'd have to measure what we got in return for them leaving, if anything. But if they weren't any good for us, my guess would be next to nothing.

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1harx84z said:
But if Seattle wound up not keeping those players, then how can we say they were a good draft pick? I guess you'd have to measure what we got in return for them leaving, if anything. But if they weren't any good for us, my guess would be next to nothing.

Exactly.

chris98251

Reaction score
fenderbender123":2p60osf7 said:

So because or staff could not put them in a position to use their talent they are busts when they go somewhere else and light it up, that's not on the player it's on the staff. The staff is a bust in this situation not that player.

Ron Parker is another player, we gave the Chiefs a D lineman that was playing exceptional, there are more.

penihawk

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2mz0z8lk said:

Ifedi being considered a double speaks louder volumes! :34853_doh:

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
chris98251":1kr0ba28 said:
fenderbender123":1kr0ba28 said:

So because or staff could not put them in a position to use their talent they are busts when they go somewhere else and light it up, that's not on the player it's on the staff. The staff is a bust in this situation not that player.

Ron Parker is another player, we gave the Chiefs a D lineman that was playing exceptional, there are more.

For the purpose of this article, why they were draft busts for Seattle is totally irrelevant.

If Earl Thomas was cut after year 1 and went on to have exactly the same career elsewhere, for the purpose of this discussion, he would be listed as a strike.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Yes they do and if I were them I wouldn't trade out of a blue chip prospect and force a pick at RB .

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Round 2 – Malik McDowell Strike

He isn't cut or gone yet so how is this a strike?
like the baseball theme..Interesting

OP
OP
original poster

original poster

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1wpp5k4z said:
Round 2 – Malik McDowell Strike

He isn't cut or gone yet so how is this a strike?
like the baseball theme..Interesting

Ungraded would maybe be fairer but ultimately he hasn't contributed whatsoever to the team and it's doubtful that he ever will.