Status
Not open for further replies.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
DomeHawk":cafaesim said:
fenderbender123":cafaesim said:
DomeHawk":cafaesim said:
JGfromtheNW":cafaesim said:
Those have to be some of the weirdest posts I've ever seen on this board. We can't criticize college players... because they're kids? At what point does a 'kid' become a 'man?' Last I checked 18 is legal adult age.... many 'kids' think they're 'men' when they're still teenagers. Sounds like some arbitrary BS and honestly it doesn't even matter. I can criticize a 14 year old playing on a freshman HS team if what I'm saying has some truth to it.

I'd hate to be coaching these 'kids' and not be able to criticize them or try to coach them up on what they've done wrong. Gotta be brutal until the 'men' come around.

I'm talking about personal attacks not their play.

I mean, isn't calling them part of the all-uniform team doing just that? Making a little joke about how they weren't quite good enough to see playing time?

I get both sides, and even though they are adults, they're very young adults still figuring out life. But they should get used to criticism. They should understand that if people are on the internet saying nasty things about them, that it's because they are just die-hard fans and that's how they express themselves. I'm sure most good coaches teach that to their players, and also to take all forms of criticism and use it as motivation.

Over at Hardcore Husky, there is very little held back. You should see some of the dedicated threads just about Jake Browning. There was a pretty picture/gif thread called "People who can throw better than Jake Browning", and people were posting pictures of guys who had no arms and stuff lol.

Last year, the guy who ran the site had to draw the line and start suspending people after somebody posted that he was literally on his way to the airport to kill one of the players (I think it was the kicker) during a game. Obviously that's over the line, even though everyone knew it was an empty threat. But it just goes to show how passionate fans can be. To each their own, I say (although you obviously can't have people posting death threats on your message board).

BTW, I love all the updates you give about the Huskies. Wish there was more college football talk on this board. You and JSeahawks do a good job of providing recruiting updates and some 'inside' information, and I read them regularly. Thank you, both.

You make a reasonable post but your and J's example of Hardcore Husky as an example of a college sport's board is just ridiculous. It is to college football what the "shack" is to .net. And yes, making personal attacks against players is strictly verboten on sites like Dawgman, Realdawg, and eDuck. This might explain why a certain somebody here has been kicked off both. And, as a former player who gave all and watched others give all, it irks the hell out of me when I see wannabe football experts who didn't even play high school football make fun of players just because they weren't great. It is uncalled for in the context of amateur school sports.

Dawgman is a joke of a website. They censor opinions they don't like. The admins constantly supported Tyrone Willingham through almost all 4 years and deleted posts that criticized him, Todd Turner, Mark Emmett, etc. They offer insider recruiting information for an expensive price, only to found out that it's unreliable and nothing that can't get for free elsewhere. It's an embarassment of a website. Just wanted to rant for a bit.

And while I can see your point, I really don't see the problem with calling out players or making fun of them. They put themselves in the public spotlight...so they gotta take the good with the bad. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Besides, the posts are there to take or leave. Don't like them? Don't read them. It's that simple.

But as I said earlier, it's best to understand why people on sites like HH are full of people who shit on the players...and it's because they are fans. They love the team. They love the game. They want to win. It hurts them when they lose. Every poster is a writer, and writers use things like hyperbole to make their work more entertaining to read, and to express their passion. It's not like people actually want bad things to happen to certain players. I think it's best to understand that rather than try to make it go away or censor it. The posts are for other fans to read and enjoy, not for the players.

D

DomeHawk

fenderbender123":2m471zmt said:
DomeHawk":2m471zmt said:
fenderbender123":2m471zmt said:
DomeHawk":2m471zmt said:

I mean, isn't calling them part of the all-uniform team doing just that? Making a little joke about how they weren't quite good enough to see playing time?

I get both sides, and even though they are adults, they're very young adults still figuring out life. But they should get used to criticism. They should understand that if people are on the internet saying nasty things about them, that it's because they are just die-hard fans and that's how they express themselves. I'm sure most good coaches teach that to their players, and also to take all forms of criticism and use it as motivation.

Over at Hardcore Husky, there is very little held back. You should see some of the dedicated threads just about Jake Browning. There was a pretty picture/gif thread called "People who can throw better than Jake Browning", and people were posting pictures of guys who had no arms and stuff lol.

Last year, the guy who ran the site had to draw the line and start suspending people after somebody posted that he was literally on his way to the airport to kill one of the players (I think it was the kicker) during a game. Obviously that's over the line, even though everyone knew it was an empty threat. But it just goes to show how passionate fans can be. To each their own, I say (although you obviously can't have people posting death threats on your message board).

BTW, I love all the updates you give about the Huskies. Wish there was more college football talk on this board. You and JSeahawks do a good job of providing recruiting updates and some 'inside' information, and I read them regularly. Thank you, both.

You make a reasonable post but your and J's example of Hardcore Husky as an example of a college sport's board is just ridiculous. It is to college football what the "shack" is to .net. And yes, making personal attacks against players is strictly verboten on sites like Dawgman, Realdawg, and eDuck. This might explain why a certain somebody here has been kicked off both. And, as a former player who gave all and watched others give all, it irks the hell out of me when I see wannabe football experts who didn't even play high school football make fun of players just because they weren't great. It is uncalled for in the context of amateur school sports.

Dawgman is a joke of a website. They censor opinions they don't like. The admins constantly supported Tyrone Willingham through almost all 4 years and deleted posts that criticized him, Todd Turner, Mark Emmett, etc. They offer insider recruiting information for an expensive price, only to found out that it's unreliable and nothing that can't get for free elsewhere. It's an embarassment of a website. Just wanted to rant for a bit.

And while I can see your point, I really don't see the problem with calling out players or making fun of them. They put themselves in the public spotlight...so they gotta take the good with the bad. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Besides, the posts are there to take or leave. Don't like them? Don't read them. It's that simple.

But as I said earlier, it's best to understand why people on sites like HH are full of people who shit on the players...and it's because they are fans. They love the team. They love the game. They want to win. It hurts them when they lose. Every poster is a writer, and writers use things like hyperbole to make their work more entertaining to read, and to express their passion. It's not like people actually want bad things to happen to certain players. I think it's best to understand that rather than try to make it go away or censor it. The posts are for other fans to read and enjoy, not for the players.

I don't particularly like the way they do things either but my analogy between the shack and HH is accurate. There are good people there but also a large group of assclowns who have a beef w/DM because they were banned..

The desire to win does not justify inappropriate comments. That isn't an argument, it's an excuse.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3tgc46o5 said:
chris98251":3tgc46o5 said:
JSeahawks":3tgc46o5 said:
If you’re referring to me, I am not kicked off any of them. I’m no longer a 247 member, so I just don’t have access to them. I’ve never been banned from dawgman, I havnt posted on there in probably a decade. . Real dawg gave me a couple week long timeouts just for stupid stuff like making fun of the color purple or for teasing husky fans,Never for attacking players. Ruth loves me though! As for educk, I wouldn’t read that site if you paid my subscription, it sucks. I used to be on duck territory, but when justin Hopkins left to make his own site, scoopduck, I followed him there. It’s hands down the best recruiting site.

As for the rest of the argument, if a college player sucks, I have no problem saying he sucks. They’re big boys, I don’t think it’s going to hurt their feelings having some idiot on a message board talking about them.

I am sure thru out his career he has been told he sucks in so many words many times to motivate him from mistakes he has made by coaches.

Actually, the vast majority of players on power-5 teams have NOT been told they suck throughout their careers. In fact most of them were the best on their team if not their entire hs conference. Yes, even the backups and 3rd stringers. Truth is you have be a REALLY good football player just to make it onto the squad.

But I digress, it isn't criticism of their play that I object to, it's when someone makes a smarta$$ comment obviously meant to demean. It's low-class.

Well I come from a time when there was no star on teams, yes we had them but my coaches pushed them to be better not polish their knobs. I know a lot of great athletes now once recognized transfer to select schools etc, different then my day, Coaches slobber all over them to try to make it so they will stay a lot now.

Yeah there was a starting of those select schools, Bishop Blanchet being one and now you have Archbishop Murphy.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
DomeHawk":o7pabwbe said:
fenderbender123":o7pabwbe said:
DomeHawk":o7pabwbe said:
fenderbender123":o7pabwbe said:

I don't particularly like the way they do things either but my analogy between the shack and HH is accurate. There are good people there but also a large group of assclowns who have a beef w/DM because they were banned..

The desire to win does not justify inappropriate comments. That isn't an argument, it's an excuse.

Begs the definition of inappropriate, though. Comments among fans designed to entertain and make them feel better that don't cause any problems to anyone, anywhere at all seem appropriate to me.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":3u4h7gn1 said:
DomeHawk":3u4h7gn1 said:
chris98251":3u4h7gn1 said:
JSeahawks":3u4h7gn1 said:
If you’re referring to me, I am not kicked off any of them. I’m no longer a 247 member, so I just don’t have access to them. I’ve never been banned from dawgman, I havnt posted on there in probably a decade. . Real dawg gave me a couple week long timeouts just for stupid stuff like making fun of the color purple or for teasing husky fans,Never for attacking players. Ruth loves me though! As for educk, I wouldn’t read that site if you paid my subscription, it sucks. I used to be on duck territory, but when justin Hopkins left to make his own site, scoopduck, I followed him there. It’s hands down the best recruiting site.

As for the rest of the argument, if a college player sucks, I have no problem saying he sucks. They’re big boys, I don’t think it’s going to hurt their feelings having some idiot on a message board talking about them.

I am sure thru out his career he has been told he sucks in so many words many times to motivate him from mistakes he has made by coaches.

Actually, the vast majority of players on power-5 teams have NOT been told they suck throughout their careers. In fact most of them were the best on their team if not their entire hs conference. Yes, even the backups and 3rd stringers. Truth is you have be a REALLY good football player just to make it onto the squad.

But I digress, it isn't criticism of their play that I object to, it's when someone makes a smarta$$ comment obviously meant to demean. It's low-class.

Well I come from a time when there was no star on teams, yes we had them but my coaches pushed them to be better not polish their knobs. I know a lot of great athletes now once recognized transfer to select schools etc, different then my day, Coaches slobber all over them to try to make it so they will stay a lot now.

Yeah there was a starting of those select schools, Bishop Blanchet being one and now you have Archbishop Murphy.

I'm not talking about coddling Chris, I was responding to your comment about them being told they suck. Good coaches don't do that, in any era.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1mw0322g said:
I'm not talking about coddling Chris, I was responding to your comment about them being told they suck. Good coaches don't do that, in any era.

Yea, Nick Saban and Bill Belichek are all rainbows and lolllypops.

purpleneer

Reaction score
DomeHawk":1c0dil86 said:
JGfromtheNW":1c0dil86 said:
Those have to be some of the weirdest posts I've ever seen on this board. We can't criticize college players... because they're kids? At what point does a 'kid' become a 'man?' Last I checked 18 is legal adult age.... many 'kids' think they're 'men' when they're still teenagers. Sounds like some arbitrary BS and honestly it doesn't even matter. I can criticize a 14 year old playing on a freshman HS team if what I'm saying has some truth to it.

I'd hate to be coaching these 'kids' and not be able to criticize them or try to coach them up on what they've done wrong. Gotta be brutal until the 'men' come around.

If this thread is an indicator, you have a ridiculous standard for what constitutes an over the line personal attack.

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":b8s5dg2f said:
chris98251":b8s5dg2f said:
DomeHawk":b8s5dg2f said:
chris98251":b8s5dg2f said:

So being told you hit like a pussy, or my little girl could catch better then that, maybe I should give your pads to the Cheer squad if you want to play like your holding pom poms at least they want to be out here etc never happnens....... That's without the expletives also.

Thats not saying you suck ?

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":1bqqbuv3 said:
DomeHawk":1bqqbuv3 said:
chris98251":1bqqbuv3 said:
DomeHawk":1bqqbuv3 said:

So being told you hit like a pussy, or my little girl could catch better then that, maybe I should give your pads to the Cheer squad if you want to play like your holding pom poms at least they want to be out here etc never happnens....... That's without the expletives also.

Lol, no one ever said that to me.

Must have been rough. ;)

chris98251

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2dvk0998 said:
chris98251":2dvk0998 said:
DomeHawk":2dvk0998 said:
chris98251":2dvk0998 said:

Must have been rough. ;)

Ahh the participation trophy generation, now I understand.

D

DomeHawk

chris98251":2hg147t6 said:
DomeHawk":2hg147t6 said:
chris98251":2hg147t6 said:
DomeHawk":2hg147t6 said:

Must have been rough. ;)

Ahh the participation trophy generation, now I understand.

Got lots of trophys and a couple of rings, all earned but I think you missed the point, no one ever said that to ME.

How old are you? 70?

BTW, Screaming demeaning epithets at kids does NOT make them tougher.

purpleneer

Reaction score
DomeHawk":3kh0vciw said:
Got lots of trophys and a couple of rings, all earned but I think you missed the point, no one ever said that to ME.

How old are you? 70?

Is that what was happening in this thread? I must've missed it. The point stands; I guarantee Saban has done and said much worse to his players than has been said in this thread. It doesn't make sense to wait until an athlete is a professional before he can be criticized, going straight from treating 18-22 year-olds the same as 8-12-year-olds to things like your own sig.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
When I was playing football back in the day the asshole coaches who yelled and screamed were actually my favorite. I was a pretty laid back, relaxed kid, the yelling and anger helped me get fired up and into game mode.

D

DomeHawk

purpleneer":1dgxz6bc said:
DomeHawk":1dgxz6bc said:

How old are you? 70?

Is that what was happening in this thread? I must've missed it. The point stands; I guarantee Saban has done and said much worse to his players than has been said in this thread. It doesn't make sense to wait until an athlete is a professional before he can be criticized, going straight from treating 18-22 year-olds the same as 8-12-year-olds to things like your own sig.

Saban IS a professional program.

Abuse is abuse, regardless of the setting.

BTW, my sig is a joke.

And, I didn't say they couldn't be criticized, the thread was about demeaning remarks

D

DomeHawk

Participation trophys came about as a result of starting kids too young into organized sports. There is no "participation trophy" generation. That was a response to children as young as five who are too young to understand competition. I am fundamentally opposed to starting them that young.

D

DomeHawk

JSeahawks":25djxjqb said:
When I was playing football back in the day the asshole coaches who yelled and screamed were actually my favorite. I was a pretty laid back, relaxed kid, the yelling and anger helped me get fired up and into game mode.

I said "screaming demeaning epithets" not the ordinary emotion of a practice or a game.

You can yell and scream without demeaning people.

Please don't attribute words or thoughts to me that I did not say or suggest.

Anajimmc

Reaction score
DomeHawk":2mvf0myx said:
Participation trophys came about as a result of starting kids too young into organized sports. There is no "participation trophy" generation. That was a response to children as young as five who are too young to understand competition. I am fundamentally opposed to starting them that young.
That was a response to dumbass parents who couldn't bear to see Jr. lose. Who weren't capable of telling them remember this feeling, winning feels much better, work hard to achieve. By the way, all the kids keep score regardless.

D

DomeHawk

Anajimmc":8x775vtk said:
DomeHawk":8x775vtk said:
That was a response to dumbass parents who couldn't bear to see Jr. lose. Who weren't capable of telling them remember this feeling, winning feels much better, work hard to achieve. By the way, all the kids keep score regardless.

Dumbass parents who start their children too early in organized sports thus depriving them of early childhood development gained from unsupervised "play."

chris98251

Reaction score
You suck ass but your still Special then is what your saying then, don't hold people accountable because it may be bullying, don't say mean things because they may have psychological damage because they were not raised in a world where if your not good enough to cut it someone will take you place, now days we just scream discrimination and favoritism and sue your asses get a settlement and go to Baskins and Robbins to celebrate. :)

Yeah as you can tell I am not a believer and or advocate of that crap.

purpleneer

Reaction score
DomeHawk":my08pr35 said:
purpleneer":my08pr35 said:
DomeHawk":my08pr35 said:

How old are you? 70?

Saban IS a professional program.

Abuse is abuse, regardless of the setting.

BTW, my sig is a joke.

And, I didn't say they couldn't be criticized, the thread was about demeaning remarks
And what exactly was the abuse that got you started here? All-uniform team?

Status
Not open for further replies.