Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Arizona State game - targetting

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Arizona State game - targetting
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 pm
  • Kind of Hail Mary pass at the end of the game. Arizona State guy catches it on the 1 yard line, six seconds left, down 7

Receiver gets leveled by a clear targeting. Easy call for targeting

Replay does also show that the act of targeting dislodges the ball so it is moving and hits the ground

Incomplete is called

Arizona State gets the 15 yard but is now on 35 yard line instead of 1. Six seconds left

So here is the question. Should the targeting rule be altered so refs can deem that ball came lose as a result of targeting and therefor they call it a completion?

Or should rules remain as is
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Re: Arizona State game - targetting
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:38 pm
  • It probably should be spot of foul.

But, keep in mind, ASU should have already lost. That fumble they recovered should have been overturned. The runner was down before the ball came loose. College officiating is horrible.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:15 pm
  • Well I disagree on the fumble call

I could not tell when he contacts the ground vs the ball is out. I was surprised that they didn’t truly stop the video.

Either way fumble was the call on the field and to close to overturn

Regardless that targeting from the bigger perspective is real interesting. Spot foul is an option
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:00 pm
  • minormillikin wrote:It probably should be spot of foul.

But, keep in mind, ASU should have already lost. That fumble they recovered should have been overturned. The runner was down before the ball came loose. College officiating is horrible.

It’s slightly better than the NFL, so they have that going for them.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:36 pm
  • Still a suspension for the first half of next game, so it's not like anyone is going to willingly commit a targeting infraction.

I like the college rules when it comes to pass defense. Spot fouls are so stupid. Oh no my guy made a little contact on your wr even though he had little to no chance to catch the ball anyway. Here, have a free 60 yards. Stupid as hell.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:19 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:Still a suspension for the first half of next game, so it's not like anyone is going to willingly commit a targeting infraction.

I like the college rules when it comes to pass defense. Spot fouls are so stupid. Oh no my guy made a little contact on your wr even though he had little to no chance to catch the ball anyway. Here, have a free 60 yards. Stupid as hell.

I agree on the college PI rule to an extent. Back and forth little pushing on eachother - 15 yard. I do wish it would almost be like basketball though with a "clear path foul" like if you tear a guy down from behind because he has you beat then it should be a spot foul

My direct issue is when the targeting is directly the cause of the ball hitting the ground. I realize people will (probably) not do that intentionally but it was the outcome. So in the end there was a huge benefit to the team that committed the penalty.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:20 pm
  • minormillikin wrote:Pac-12 officiating is horrible.

FIFY. Pac-12 officiating has been a laughingstock for years and years, and continues as such.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:41 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information