Jeffery Simmons, DT. Would ya?

endzorn

Reaction score
What if Simmons’ assault on Sophia Taylor causes a precipitous slide and after we trade down he’s still available? The backlash from Seattle media would be intense and despite his apologies and contrite responses to questions about the assault, he would be a marked kid.

Do you think he deserves a chance? Would you be cool with the backlash?

kobebryant

Reaction score
I would. I don’t look to sports for moral reasons and no NFL team has any moral high ground over another team. Just build the best team possible with guys who can help you win.

sutz

Reaction score
Obviously, a lot would depend on an interview with Pete & John. If they don't talk to him at all, I think I'd be surprised if they take him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Agree that if he were to drop to Seattle the team would take him if his interviews indicated he's matured since his HS incident. His other broader background check will also be significant.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I don't care who the Seahawks draft (they won't have a first rounder, we pretty much all speculate a trade).

As long as they don't draft another bone headed bum like Malik McDowell, such a waste.

Hell, they could draft a kicker with whenever their first pick is and it would still be a better pick than Malik McDowell.

massari

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Simmonds' first season he spends rehabbing will count as a year off his rookie contract?

Either way, taking a guy in the early 2nd who some say could be the next Ndamukong Suh is worth the year long wait.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
massari":35r5o22z said:
Does anyone know if Simmonds' first season he spends rehabbing will count as a year off his rookie contract?

Either way, taking a guy in the early 2nd who some say could be the next Ndamukong Suh is worth the year long wait.

That year does count

AgentDib

Reaction score
Players like AP have made it back in six months but it's best to figure on a full year recovery for an ACL.

Star Tribute 2016":1wneg2x8 said:
Doctors at Northwestern University analyzed orthopedic injuries suffered by 559 NFL athletes, and found the ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear to be one of the most career-damaging. Those who underwent ACL surgeries needed 378 days to recover, on average, and their careers wound up shorter than those of players recovering from other orthopedic injuries, according to results being printed Thursday in the American Journal of Sports Medicine.

Pete is so anchored on the present that I imagine it would be tough to sell him on getting nothing from an early pick for the next year. I would be in favor of it as I love the idea of trading down as much possible and taking lots of these sort of gambles.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
No doubt about it if we actually had 7 picks this draft and one was a 2nd round pick.

ivotuk

Reaction score
YES!

"Then-Mississippi State athletic director Scott Stricklin talked to community, church and school leaders from Simmons hometown of Macon, MS to further evaluate the high school prospect’s character after the incident. Stricklin decided to stand by Simmons, and amid much criticism, allowed him to be apart of Mississippi State’s program.

Since his freshman year, Simmons has been a model student-athlete both on and off the field.

On the field, Simmons totaled 163 tackles, 32.5 tackles for loss, seven sacks, five forced fumbles and three blocked field goals in 38 games over three seasons.

As a student at Mississippi State, he achieved SEC Academic Honor Roll twice and won Mississippi State’s Newsome Award in 2018 for his involvement in the community, on campus and in the classroom.

Simmons has had zero off the field incidents since the video surfaced in 2016 and many Mississippi State officials speak very highly of him."

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/ ... t-profile/

getnasty

Reaction score
I think i would take him at 21 if he makes it that far. Probably a top 5 pick if he doesnt get hurt and i think well worth the wait.