Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The Seahawks Are NOT Trading Down in the 1st This Year

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • So John Schneider in his recent radio interview, really emphasized that he wanted Duane Brown listed as his 2nd round pick on his draft board, to make himself feel better.

Parsing this, has me thinking Pete might have a guy in mind he really likes in the 1st and they aren't trading down. It would be such a Seahawks thing to do. Everyone and their mother expecting them to trade down and then they don't.

My question is, who would be that guy to the Seahawks that could realistically fall to them at 21, that they couldn't pass up?
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Per Bob Condotta:

“NFL announced today Shaun Alexander will announce the Seahawks' second-round pick and Kam Chancellor the third-round pick. One problem --- Seattle doesn't have a second-round pick. But maybe they know something we don't about Seattle's plans.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:So John Schneider in his recent radio interview, really emphasized that he wanted Duane Brown listed as his 2nd round pick on his draft board, to make himself feel better.

Parsing this, has me thinking Pete might have a guy in mind he really likes in the 1st and they aren't trading down. It would be such a Seahawks thing to do. Everyone and their mother expecting them to trade down and then they don't.

My question is, who would be that guy to the Seahawks that could realistically fall to them at 21, that they couldn't pass up?

This is a deep draft, there are only a couple guys that they may be stuck on and they are Safeties.

Nasir Adderley
    Deionte Thompson
    Taylor Rapp

Even then unless they feel Earl Thomas about a guy they will trade back if they have a chance and the value is there, they need bodies to stock depth if nothing else. The DT position is deep so I doubt it's one of them and unless a guy like Bosa at DE falls which I doubt will happen they will look to trade back.

If you believe anything this time a year said then you would also believe the IRS will give you back all your taxes paid.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I'd like to see them take Dalton Risner G Kansas state. Our OL would be set.
    Chawker
    NET Veteran

• They are trading down in the first but not out. They will take a WR or McGary. My guess is they trade with the Patriots and get their 1st and late 2nd round pick. You're welcome.
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• They'll bypass Jeffery Simmons to pick an Ifedi or Penny in hopes of adding a guy who'll have a high impact right away, meanwhile Simmons will be Fletcher Cox by the time that happens.

massari
    NET Veteran

• This draft is deep in DL's but most of the really good ones will be gone by the time they pick.

That's the bad news, the good news is that means there will be some really good players left.

The whole trading-down thing is predicated upon not having anyone there that they feel is a sure-thing.

There may be a prime CB or WR there but who knows? This will be rapidly developing fluid situation right up until their pick.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• Seen a couple Mocks where we trade back with the Patriots so they can grab a TE, seems feasible given our position and Gronk leaving as well as only a couple TE's that may fit their wants.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Teams usually handout about 15-20 1st round grades to prospects in any given draft.

That is why it makes sense to trade down late in the 1st, because there are no more 1st round graded players left on the board, (even though you're still technically drafting in the 1st round.)

This is where it gets interesting for Seattle. They could have a legit 1st rd prospect left on their board, and trading down will cost them that player, and they will have to take a 2nd round prospect, even though they are still drafting in the 1st.

That is why I think there is a good chance it could happen this time. Drafting at 21 puts them right there.

DB, WR (with the Doug news), DL, OL.

If there is a 1st round graded player left they kind of have to take him.

They could trade some of next year's picks to help fill out this year's draft. As they have 11 picks in 2020.
    Fade
    NET Veteran

• Fade wrote:
    They could trade some of next year's picks to help fill out this year's draft. As they have 11 picks in 2020.

Wow, really? How'd they accumulate them? I don't recall hearing anything about trades netting them picks next year. Or are you counting expected comp picks?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

• HawkGA wrote:
    Fade wrote:

Wow, really? How'd they accumulate them? I don't recall hearing anything about trades netting them picks next year. Or are you counting expected comp picks?

IIRC they are expecting 4 comp picks next year, so if they have their original complement of 7, that would make 11.

But I don't know for sure if they still control all 7 base picks.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Many different scenarios can take place including the possible trade of Frank Clark.

If the Hawks don't trade at all and are sitting at #21 the pick could be a DL or a WR.

It would be awesome if the Hawks could get Clark on a reasonable deal but if it seems unlikely they really need to use this grand opportunity to pick an edge rusher in this deep and talented DL draft. Can they do it if they trade down? Maybe.

Would a WR at #21 be a better choice over a DL? Not likely in this draft.

Selecting Penny in the 1st last year may have seemed out of character for the Hawks but it really wasn't. They were hedging against their back field injury history. If RW had a problem staying healthy it would make sense to acquire a capable backup.

The Hawks are going after a DL with their first pick. That doesn't mean the Hawks won't draft a WR in this draft. The Hawks will find that guy as well.

The Hawks have positioned themselves well to take the best player available. They don't need to reach for anyone. Some feel the Hawks are desperate in the secondary. I don't believe Pete feels that way. Some would say the team has a glaring need for an edge rusher. The Hawks probably don't feel that way but would love the chance to significantly upgrade the talent and depth through this once in a generation draft. Do they love someone so much that they would select him at #21 and not pick again until late third? Maybe.
    Seafan
    NET Veteran

• I wouldnt be suprised if a Burns, Sweat, Gary fall the Hawks pick them up at 21. If all the high end guys are gone then i think we will trade back and draft someone we didnt expect at that spot.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Seattle will trade down.

Pretty much has to in order to add more than 4 picks.

They'll find a suitable trade partner.
    TheLegendOfBoom
    NET Veteran

• We don't have a glaring need so they could do anything this year. Safety is the closest thing to a need i'd argue CB as well Griffin has regressed.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Northwest Seahawk wrote:We don't have a glaring need so they could do anything this year. Safety is the closest thing to a need i'd argue CB as well Griffin has regressed.

We don't have a glaring need at WR?

We still don't have a true #1 WR and with Doug Baldwin still looking at multiple operations we are at least rapidly approaching "glaring need."

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/n ... 88554.html
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

• DomeHawk wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:We don't have a glaring need so they could do anything this year. Safety is the closest thing to a need i'd argue CB as well Griffin has regressed.

We still don't have a true #1 WR and with Doug Baldwin still looking at multiple operations we are at least rapidly approaching "glaring need."

Yes WR is a need I do think they have to seriously address it.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Northwest Seahawk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Northwest Seahawk wrote:We don't have a glaring need so they could do anything this year. Safety is the closest thing to a need i'd argue CB as well Griffin has regressed.

Yes WR is a need I do think they have to seriously address it.

Question is, would they draft WR at 21? I think they would if the right guy is there. But if it's Brian Burns or Metcalf?
    ivotuk
    * NET Moderator *

• Everyone knows we want to trade down, so I hope we don't get fleeced.

WR is a bigger need than we want to admit. Consider how last year's unit performed with and without Baldwin. If Baldwin slows down or misses time we have to have pass catching options.
    nwHawk
    NET Veteran

• I don't care what positions we draft. Just draft good players that will win us the Super Bowl.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

• they are 100% trading down. They need more picks. trading down for more picks is a proven winner. The smart teams are doing it more and more.
    Chukarhawk
    NET Veteran

• I'm warming up a lot to Jeffrey Simmons, who could wreck havoc on this defense. I assume we're trading down, but I hope we don't do it just to do it if there is a premiere talent like Simmons on the board.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Trade down...and I agree, Darnell Savage in the mid/late rounds is someone I would LOVE on our defense.

I'd also like Carl Granderson and/or Maxx Crosby late.

Trade back in the first, BPA, and hopefully add a WR in the first two rounds.
    RockinHawks
    NET Veteran

• I think it's very likely Seattle trades down and maybe out of the first round entirely.
    Northwest Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• I still see them trading down. However, if Clellin Ferrell or Jerry Tillery fall to them I think it might be too much to pass up. Those are my two dudes...both game changers on the DL.

I know many have cooled from Ferrell for some reason, but the guy is an absolute stud and high character guy/leader.

Tillery against Stanford might have been the most dominant DL performance I have seen in years. He just screams Seahawk...he is what they wanted McDowell to be (but with a head on his shoulders).
    pcbball12
    NET Veteran

• The Hawks are gonna trade down and they are not selecting a TE or Wideout in the first three rounds of the draft.

They feel they are deep at TE, RB and wide receiver. Think undrafted free agents like Doug Baldwin. A first round WR on the Hawks would be so angry getting 40 to 45 targets.
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• Keeping both 1st round picks would be a shocker to me. Trading one and keeping one is more in line with how a believe the Hawks think. But trading both 1st round picks would not surprise me at all. Some desperate teams may make offers that John and Pete can't pass up.
    v1rotv2
    NET Veteran

• v1rotv2 wrote:Keeping both 1st round picks would be a shocker to me. Trading one and keeping one is more in line with how a believe the Hawks think. But trading both 1st round picks would not surprise me at all. Some desperate teams may make offers that John and Pete can't pass up.

This. Fans tend to overvalue the importance of single players, while JS and PC like to stock up on multiple players and bring out their best through competition. It seems to work.

If we can parlay these 2 firsts into 5-6 2d/3d day picks, I could take it.
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information