Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

John Schneider

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: John Schneider
Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:38 am
  • I’m loving this draft so far. I’m liking what I’m seeing and reading about most of their picks. So many of them fit that “Seahawks” profile. You don’t just pick players due to how highly they are rated by the so-called experts. You take players who are a good FIT for your team/philosophy. I think John and Pete are having a great draft!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 919
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:36 pm


Re: John Schneider
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:08 am
  • Atradees wrote:
    Maelstrom787 wrote:
    Atradees wrote:RW. He didnt make that pick. same guy that picked RW did not make those picks today.


    Again, then who did?


    The picks made today were clueless and awful. You cant, even as a fan pray, that bye miracle of God think they are gonna start or even compete. It could not have been John. NOPE. NO way.

    *bye* is incorrect use. Should've been by
    You make yourself look even worse when your use of the English language is at a lower level than your arguments.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 20873
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
    Location: Vancouver, WA


Re: John Schneider
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:09 am
  • jmahon316 wrote:So far I'm really liking these picks. These players have a very Seahawk-y feel to them and so many people forget that you can be the greatest player in the world but if you don't fit the system, you're not going to go as far as you're hyped to go. I'm very excited about today's draft and who else we pull



    James in PA wrote:I’m loving this draft so far. I’m liking what I’m seeing and reading about most of their picks. So many of them fit that “Seahawks” profile. You don’t just pick players due to how highly they are rated by the so-called experts. You take players who are a good FIT for your team/philosophy. I think John and Pete are having a great draft!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


    Said it in the 1st page of this post but I seriously agree.
    jmahon316
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 278
    Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:59 pm


Re: John Schneider
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:26 am
  • The biggest misconception with fans is that the draft is a talent ranking. That first round is more talented than the second and they will quote evidence over the years that “proves” this. It doesn’t. The draft is generally about risk management and opportunity. For example, if a team is investing millions of dollars (including jerseys and marketing etc) into a first round pick, they want lower risk players. This is why a guy like Daniel Jones goes number six. Talent-wise I think he was a terrible QB, but the media loved him and he says the right things and he looks the part. So Gettleman can go to his owner when/if it blows up and say “Look no one saw this coming. He was a consensus first rounder.”

    Secondly, first and second round picks get more reps, get more chances to fail etc. A great example is Dion Jordan. Would anyone care about Dion Jordan given his past if he wasn’t the #3 overall pick? What about Luke Joekal? Or Trent Richardson? This happens all the time. Draft slot gives more opportunity. Not only because jobs are usually on the line if they don’t succeed, but also because teams trading for them or signing them later can easily justify the investment to management.

    One of the reasons John and Pete do well in later rounds is they aren’t held to a standard of “Your first pick needs to be a star that we can market and make money on.” They can look at a guy they like and take him. And Pete’s philosophy opens the door for more later round guys to succeed.

    Whining about a draft (and believe me I’ve been there) is wasted effort. So long as a team is showing consistent vision (which Seattle lost when the roster was stacked with talent) it’s a better draft than most teams. Seattle’s last two drafts have shown consistent vision. Doesn’t mean it will work, it just means there’s a plan. And that’s what’s important.
    Yxes1122
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 247
    Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:49 pm


Re: John Schneider
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:53 pm
  • You may not like the players drafted or the execution of his draft strategy, but the logic behind what he’s doing is sound. Trading back in the draft is the closest thing to Money Ball in the NFL. Your odds of hitting on a player don’t drastically decrease by moving back a few spots, and gaining more picks later increases your odds of hitting on guys in the later rounds.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1792
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


Re: John Schneider
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:01 pm
  • toffee wrote:
    Atradees wrote:RW. He didnt make that pick. same guy that picked RW did not make those picks today. Some other GM would have had better value. This is a clueless deal. Its gone bad its toast.
    ok time to name the one who picked RW.


    Come on Atradees, time to come clean on your insider knowledge: WHO was the guy that drafted RW?
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1696
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: John Schneider
Sun May 05, 2019 8:40 am
  • Come on again, WHO was the guy in your mind that drafted RW?



    On this video, John Scheider 'discovered' Wilson during his scouting trip to Wisconsin and sold him to he organization.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1696
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: John Schneider
Tue May 07, 2019 10:49 am
  • toffee wrote:Come on again, WHO was the guy in your mind that drafted RW?



    On this video, John Scheider 'discovered' Wilson during his scouting trip to Wisconsin and sold him to he organization.


    I'm guessing he is implying Scot McCloughan
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4740
    Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm


Re: John Schneider
Wed May 08, 2019 9:35 pm
  • Yxes1122 wrote:The biggest misconception with fans is that the draft is a talent ranking. That first round is more talented than the second and they will quote evidence over the years that “proves” this. It doesn’t. The draft is generally about risk management and opportunity. For example, if a team is investing millions of dollars (including jerseys and marketing etc) into a first round pick, they want lower risk players. This is why a guy like Daniel Jones goes number six. Talent-wise I think he was a terrible QB, but the media loved him and he says the right things and he looks the part. So Gettleman can go to his owner when/if it blows up and say “Look no one saw this coming. He was a consensus first rounder.”

    Secondly, first and second round picks get more reps, get more chances to fail etc. A great example is Dion Jordan. Would anyone care about Dion Jordan given his past if he wasn’t the #3 overall pick? What about Luke Joekal? Or Trent Richardson? This happens all the time. Draft slot gives more opportunity. Not only because jobs are usually on the line if they don’t succeed, but also because teams trading for them or signing them later can easily justify the investment to management.

    One of the reasons John and Pete do well in later rounds is they aren’t held to a standard of “Your first pick needs to be a star that we can market and make money on.” They can look at a guy they like and take him. And Pete’s philosophy opens the door for more later round guys to succeed.

    Whining about a draft (and believe me I’ve been there) is wasted effort. So long as a team is showing consistent vision (which Seattle lost when the roster was stacked with talent) it’s a better draft than most teams. Seattle’s last two drafts have shown consistent vision. Doesn’t mean it will work, it just means there’s a plan. And that’s what’s important.


    Well said.
    Recon_Hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2956
    Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:01 pm
    Location: Vancouver, Wa


Re: John Schneider
Thu May 09, 2019 11:54 am
  • IMO- This draft, more so than previous drafts, the Seahawks placed a premium on the "mental aspects" of player evaluations (that we fans are not often privy to). This makes sense after the last couple of seasons that have seen "mouthy" and/or "disruptive" veterans depart. In this draft, there were several prospects that I think must have had some really bad interviews and/or poor recommendations from college coaches or teammates. I can't come up with any other reasons they passed on guys like Omenihu, Nelson, Crosby & Gardner-Johnson when they had a chance at them. No more prima donna's or mouthy & disruptive individuals as the Seahawks would seem to be a likely goal in this draft and I would assume future drafts. PC/JS have probably learned from their past missteps and now only want players that 100% buy in and are team first above all else.

    I do like the draft and the players selected this year, however I'm starting to think that at the end of round 2, through early round 3, they had planned on taking an edge rusher, but couldn't pass up the opportunity to select Metcalf and having done so, missed out on an edge rusher they liked with that pick. Easy enough to assume as WR was also a big need and nobody would have guessed that Metcalf would fall that far. I think they then decided that they could get a veteran edge rusher in FA that would likely outperform any rookie edge they might have drafted in late round-2, early round-3.

    :smilingalien:
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1450
    Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am
    Location: Camano Island, WA


Re: John Schneider
Thu May 09, 2019 12:03 pm
  • mistaowen wrote:
    toffee wrote:Come on again, WHO was the guy in your mind that drafted RW?



    On this video, John Scheider 'discovered' Wilson during his scouting trip to Wisconsin and sold him to he organization.


    I'm guessing he is implying Scot McCloughan


    Let him speak for himself, he pointed a finger and now has gone hiding.
    toffee
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1696
    Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:44 pm


Re: John Schneider
Wed May 15, 2019 10:01 am
  • Atradees wrote:We have really enjoyed your years of service. Clear out your area of any personal belongings. Please leave your door pass at the front desk. Thank you.


    Well Atradees enjoy your Putz of the year award. You earned it. Now a trip to the White House is your reward.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor
     
    Posts: 34211
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:38 pm


Re: John Schneider
Wed May 15, 2019 11:19 am
  • I'm interested though....what would you have done with our four picks? Who did you want?
    Tical21
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4053
    Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:37 pm


Re: John Schneider
Sun May 19, 2019 7:50 am
  • Atradees wrote:Worst draft in years. It speaks for itself. Or it will. I have to believe he didn't pick Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, Kam Chancellor or the rest. This is all some fraud being portrayed upon us. The tru driving force behind our superbowls was somebody else.


    Whatever?

    Worst draft in years? According to who? We still are waiting upon your picks that he could have made to have made this a good draft in your view?

    Please stop smoking whatever it is that is causing your conspiracy theories.

    He took 4 picks available to him when the offseason started, traded for a first to give him 5, then converted those 5 picks into 10 and then finally acquired a potential slot WR by trading away a 2020 6th to wind up with 11 picks. I think he was lights out amazing and if the team contends this season for the Lombardi deserves consideration for executive of the year.

    Clearly you must have missed the extreme needs at various spots of the roster. I completely disagree with your post. Suspect you thought the draft that acquired Chancellor and Sherman or Wilson and Wagner were terrible too.
    jammerhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 5900
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


Previous


It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 8:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests