UW vs Cal

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
UW vs Cal
Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Re: UW vs Cal
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:24 pm
  • I think it will be a grind out for 3 quarters with the UW pulling away in the 4th. I think that the UW defense will be good for a score against a underwhelming Cal offense.

A true test though against that Cal defense.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:45 pm
  • UW will smoke em

38-24
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:44 pm
  • Wenhawk wrote:UW will smoke em

38-24

Neither team will score that many. Be happy to eat crow if I'm wrong.
    Dawgs 23-13
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:34 pm
  • Amazing we just had my nieces birthday party outside in Shoreline nice 60 degree evening, then after it’s over and I get home less than an hour later a downpour and thunder and lighting. UW game in a delay because of lighting. Wierd AF weather.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:41 pm
  • 10-3 Dawgs at half.

A grind out as expected.

Eason has been careless with the ball a couple of times but the receivers have at least 5 drops.
    Outside of a couple of missed tackles the UW defense has been great.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 am
  • UW defense forgot how to tackle in the 3rd quarter. Pathetic.
    Defensive playcalling got extremely conservative in the 3rd Q as well.
    Cal 17 UW 13
    This is what happens when you let teams hang around.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:56 am
  • D did their job. Now it's time for the O to finish it. Just don't score too soon. :180670:
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:07 am
  • Wooooow... kid got leg. That would have been good from 70 lol
    Seahaaaawks
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:21 am
  • I would have kept that timeout and not iced the kicker, but if he misses or gets blocked I guess it was a good call
    Wenhawk
    .NET Owner

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 am
  • Damn. Upset by Cal, 2 years running.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 am
  • Shit defense, bullshit PI call!

Total team loss. Drops, shitty QB play, shitty playcalling on both sides of the ball, shitty execution, CP getting outcoached.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:25 am
  • Maulbert wrote:Damn. Upset by Cal, 2 years running.

Self inflicted mostly too. Both times.
    That’s why you don’t let teams hang around.
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:56 am
  • Remember when people thought Wilcox couldn't coach in Seattle?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:46 am
  • I am surprised no one mentioned how stupid it was to be playing a game at midnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Milehighhawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 am
  • Good thing for UW is that the game finished at 1:30am and NFL starts this morning so most of the world won't even notice Jacob Eason and the Dawgs were terrible last night. Justin Wilcox seems to have UW'S number but maybe Cal is better the advertised, they did have a nice 2nd half comeback win over UC Davis week one.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:48 am
  • Milehighhawk wrote:I am surprised no one mentioned how stupid it was to be playing a game at midnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked the score and saw it was delayed. Then much later that evening I turned on Sling to see if I could watch the game and it was still delayed. Kind of nuts.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:48 am
  • getnasty wrote:Good thing for UW is that the game finished at 1:30am and NFL starts this morning so most of the world won't even notice Jacob Eason and the Dawgs were terrible last night. Justin Wilcox seems to have UW'S number but maybe Cal is better the advertised, they did have a nice 2nd half comeback win over UC Davis week one.

Jacob Eason was fine, his receivers had NINE drops, and we're not talking difficult catches, every single one should have been caught. If they only catch half of them, his completion % is roughly 70% and he'd have had 250+ yards.

It was an embarrassing performance by some Sr receivers.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:50 am
  • The defense didn't step up either.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:00 pm
  • Every single year it seems the Huskies lose a home game they shouldn't. At least they got this one out of the way early.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:57 pm
  • Golden Bears made plays when needed but the Huskies stepped on themselves in this one. Dropped passes (this group needs to invest in some stickum or glue) and poor tackling was the reason for the loss. Did Nacua even play? Need to clean a lot up for next week.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:09 am
  • Be interested to read Domes thoughts. He essentially called this a tough game (I thought he was posturing) and was at the stadium.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:41 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:Be interested to read Domes thoughts. He essentially called this a tough game (I thought he was posturing) and was at the stadium.

My thoughts? We were happy to get out of there alive but not to worry, we have GoreTex. But seriously, why would I be "posturing" about a team that beat us last year and possesses a bona fide great defense? Like I said, they are underrated and UW's squad has many new starters, it would have been nice to have a couple of more OOC games before we hit the Pac schedule.

We were there to the bitter end as is our commitment but it was a difficult game to watch, all those dropped passes, and Eason looked uncomfortable with a couple of TO's. I think Cal's blitzes had him a little happy-toed. We were also weak against the run with that #27 getting a couple of TD's. All in all, we just didn't finish our drives and ended up having to kick too many FG's.

Wouldn't want to use it as an excuse but why wasn't the game cancelled? Almost the entire crowd left and our home field advantage too. Oh well, we lost to them last year and still won the Pac, but I think this team has some growing up to do.

We have season tickets to both the Huskies and Seahawks so a Husky night game combined with a Seahawks' day game is almost attendance overload (especially with the weather) but at least we got the split.

Because: IT"S GREAT TO BE A HUSKY!!!
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:49 pm
  • Cal are just the better team. It really is that simple.
    JohnGlenn
    NET Practice Squad

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:37 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:00 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Be interested to read Domes thoughts. He essentially called this a tough game (I thought he was posturing) and was at the stadium.

My thoughts? We were happy to get out of there alive but not to worry, we have GoreTex. But seriously, why would I be "posturing" about a team that beat us last year and possesses a bona fide great defense? Like I said, they are underrated and UW's squad has many new starters, it would have been nice to have a couple of more OOC games before we hit the Pac schedule.

We were there to the bitter end as is our commitment but it was a difficult game to watch, all those dropped passes, and Eason looked uncomfortable with a couple of TO's. I think Cal's blitzes had him a little happy-toed. We were also weak against the run with that #27 getting a couple of TD's. All in all, we just didn't finish our drives and ended up having to kick too many FG's.

Wouldn't want to use it as an excuse but why wasn't the game cancelled? Almost the entire crowd left and our home field advantage too. Oh well, we lost to them last year and still won the Pac, but I think this team has some growing up to do.

We have season tickets to both the Huskies and Seahawks so a Husky night game combined with a Seahawks' day game is almost attendance overload (especially with the weather) but at least we got the split.

I
    My hats off to you for attending both. After attending the Seahawks game, i could barely make it out of bed today. But I'm old, and tire easily with it my Geritol :p
    ivotuk
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:42 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:

Is that true? UO has gained over 480yards and scored 45 and 42 vs them in that span.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:57 pm
  • ivotuk wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Be interested to read Domes thoughts. He essentially called this a tough game (I thought he was posturing) and was at the stadium.

I
    My hats off to you for attending both. After attending the Seahawks game, i could barely make it out of bed today. But I'm old, and tire easily with it my Geritol :p

I read in another thread it was your first game, congrats on that. I must be getting old too because Monday was tough. This weekend was epic though with more lightning than I ever remember seeing in Seattle causing that brutal delay. I have two boys, 18 and 21, who I am trying to keep up with so I try to maintain the facade that I am up for anything, it's getting harder and harder.

Happy for you though, I guess we kind of take it for granted, hope you had a fantastic time!
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:52 pm
  • JohnGlenn wrote:Cal are just the better team. It really is that simple.

If it were that simple we (Huskies) would not be so frustrated. It's like when we lost to Alabama in the CFP, we knew we were over-matched so that's that. Cal is NOT a better team. Are they doing more with less? Yes. Are we doing less with more? Yes, again, but both of those games would have resulted in UW victories if not for some very fundamental mistakes.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    JohnGlenn wrote:Cal are just the better team. It really is that simple.

If it were that simple we (Huskies) would not be so frustrated. It's like when we lost to Alabama in the CFP, we knew we were over-matched so that's that. Cal is NOT a better team. Are they doing more with less? Yes. Are we doing less with more? Yes, again, but both of those games would have resulted in UW victories if not for some very fundamental mistakes.

They're a good team that outcoaches us and plays clutch. I guess in a sense you could say they are the better team. I had a bad, bad feeling about this game, and once the delay hit, I was almost certain we were going to lose a low-scoring affair. Our offense wasn't ready for this challenge.

Savon played better than I thought he had in him, which is a great sign for the future, altho I'd still prefer Newton.

Eason. Hmmmmm. The deep accuracy issues were alarming, because he had some guys. The 800 mph fastballs on 3-yard routes were brutal, and for receivers used to catching balls from Browning, they're just not ready for that yet. It was kind of a perfect storm, literally. Season's over. But hopefully will still be fun. Sad part..I think Haener beats them.

The linebackers. Man. 13 is a mess. Love the corners. We need a reliable possession receiver so badly.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:57 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

They're a good team that outcoaches us and plays clutch. I guess in a sense you could say they are the better team. I had a bad, bad feeling about this game, and once the delay hit, I was almost certain we were going to lose a low-scoring affair. Our offense wasn't ready for this challenge.

Savon played better than I thought he had in him, which is a great sign for the future, altho I'd still prefer Newton.

Eason. Hmmmmm. The deep accuracy issues were alarming, because he had some guys. The 800 mph fastballs on 3-yard routes were brutal, and for receivers used to catching balls from Browning, they're just not ready for that yet. It was kind of a perfect storm, literally. Season's over. But hopefully will still be fun. Sad part..I think Haener beats them.

The linebackers. Man. 13 is a mess. Love the corners. We need a reliable possession receiver so badly.

Point taken, but I was referring to the overall talent on both teams.

Haener is an interception machine. You can look really good but if you continue to throw INT's it nullifies everything good you have done.

They have been catching those passes from Eason all camp, this is NOT on Eason.

A Newton/Salvon RB committee has the potential to be very good.

And, I get how you feel but the season is far from over.
    Last edited by DomeHawk on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:03 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:

Is that true? UO has gained over 480yards and scored 45 and 42 vs them in that span.

He said that only two teams had gained more, Oregon must be one of those.

But, that stat is NOT a "potential bright spot."
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 am
  • DomeHawk wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

Haener is an interception machine. You can look really good but if you continue to throw INT's it nullifies everything good you have done.

I mean we don't know that Haener is an interception machine. He was for a quarter. This game required some savvy, and Eason just instead kept repeating what wasn't working. I do disagree that some of the blame is not on Eason for the drops. You can't throw 5 yard passes as hard as you can. You need to throw a catchable ball with a little touch. The receivers should catch the balls, but if you throw short passes that hard, there are going to be more drops, especially in weather. I watched part of the game again last night and mediocre receivers just aren't going to catch those balls. Cal played off-man and we just had no creativity. I hate rub routes, but if you aren't completing your slants, you gotta get a little creative.

Still, the glaring takeaway is the lack of stud players, especially at WR and LB. How many of our guys would start on a Georgia or Ohio State? Hunter Bryant, maybe a lineman or two, maybe a corner, but that's about it. This past year or so of recruiting seems better, but I'm OKG'd out. If we ever want to be an elite program, we're going to need elite talent at more positions than DB.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:48 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:
    DomeHawk wrote:

I mean we don't know that Haener is an interception machine. He was for a quarter. This game required some savvy, and Eason just instead kept repeating what wasn't working. I do disagree that some of the blame is not on Eason for the drops. You can't throw 5 yard passes as hard as you can. You need to throw a catchable ball with a little touch. The receivers should catch the balls, but if you throw short passes that hard, there are going to be more drops, especially in weather. I watched part of the game again last night and mediocre receivers just aren't going to catch those balls. Cal played off-man and we just had no creativity. I hate rub routes, but if you aren't completing your slants, you gotta get a little creative.

Still, the glaring takeaway is the lack of stud players, especially at WR and LB. How many of our guys would start on a Georgia or Ohio State? Hunter Bryant, maybe a lineman or two, maybe a corner, but that's about it. This past year or so of recruiting seems better, but I'm OKG'd out. If we ever want to be an elite program, we're going to need elite talent at more positions than DB.

Again, you make good points but Haener was never a solution in this scenario and he wasn't an interception machine for a quarter, he threw them all camp.

As for mediocre receivers, we have several 4-star receivers, they need to catch the ball.

I agree on the no creativity however and said it all last season as did CP when he said our offense was "pedestrian." Bush Hamdan is NOT a good OC.

As for the recruiting, it is a work in progress and truth be told, we are lucky USC is in a down phase or we probably we wouldn't be doing as good as we are. They currently have two 4-stars and 10 3-stars in their latest recruiting class, very unusual for a school that usually has multiple 5-stars and 4-stars. One good season and that will change fast. As for us, we need to achieve top-10 final rankings to get into the elite recruits.

Overall, I share your frustration but not so much on the OKG stuff as CP's lack of game-time skills. He is a great program and player development coach but somewhere along the line he lost some of the rep he had for winning big games. I can only hope that is just a small sample, but I wonder.

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Footb ... mRankings/
    DomeHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:39 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information