Deandre Smelter WR Georgia Tech

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I think if Danny Shelton is'nt the first round pick for Seattle then Deandre Smelter should be in play. Smelter is a former baseball pitcher who converted to football his junior year and had to work his way on the Georgia tech squad as basically a walk on. so he is flying under the radar. Smelter ( 6'3,224) is a big athletic WR who played physical in the game i seen him in today. Smelter did everthing Seattle is looking for high points jump balls, gets YAC and even caught a sweet fade route in the endzone. Don't know much about Smelter other than he jumped off the screen at me while i watched the game and i just had to figure out who the Big WR who played fast and caught the ball well was.

Attachments

• skl.jpg
    skl.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 648

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I noticed this guy over the weekend and was going to put him in the 'big pass catching prospect' thread but I haven't seen enough of him.

On first glance he kind of reminds me of Dwayne Bowe with that big base and impressive burst. I think he could be a dream in a quick-passing offense, he's electric off the line and is at top speed within a couple of strides, just a really powerful athlete. Doesn't look particularly fast, but with a guy like him you're probably looking at the split times rather than the full 40.

As with most guys listed at that height I'd be surprised if he really was 6,3 but he still looks plenty big enough and 21 yards per catch with 7TDs is pretty awesome in that offense. Plus he's putting up nearly half of their total passing yards and touchdowns.

Despite being a phenomenal athlete in his own right I don't think he's going to test particularly well in the combine and I'd be a little surprised to see him go in the first round, or even the top of the second. That said I really like what little I've seen of him and I'll be tuning into the Georgia Tech @ Georgia game next week to catch a bit more.

[youtube]bDGnlImbFSQ[/youtube]