Mariota cements the Heisman

HawkWow

Reaction score
No way does MM not win it now. Not with Oregon on the verge of being #1 (even if Bama comes back vs Auburn, my vote would still go to the Ducks).

Never a question in my mind who the best college football player is, but half those antiquated east coast voters are typically passed out by half time ( PST). There's still a few lazy writers, not different from lazy fans, that find it easier to write MM off as a "system QB @ Oregon" as opposed to actually watching the guy go through his progressions, look off a defender or 2, then make any and every throw in the book (when not putting the ball away and scrambling for chunks).

"I don't think his talents will carry over to the pros".

"He's another Colin Kaepernick".

WTF? Punch yourself in the nuts and start working weekends if you actually believe that.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I don't think even the east coast/SEC bias is enough to overcome how good this guy is man. He's responsible for 42 TDs this year, 35 passing and 7 running IIRC. He's thrown 2, yes freakin' TWO interceptions. His team is about to be what, 11-1? The only thing IMO that could cost him would be a really bad game in a loss to AZ in the championship game. Not gonna happen.

BTW, Alabama will stay #1 IMO. Sad thing is that if Auburn's red zone offense wasn't beyond horrible, they win this game and the SEC may not even be in the final four (though I think they still are cuz of the SEC bias nationally).

EDIT: Now 36 TD passes and 43 total............responsible for all 6 of Oregon's TDs tonight, 4 passing and 2 rushing.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":e3vhd5mv said:
No way does MM not win it now. Not with Oregon on the verge of being #1 (even if Bama comes back vs Auburn, my vote would still go to the Ducks).

Never a question in my mind who the best college football player is, but half those antiquated east coast voters are typically passed out by half time ( PST). There's still a few lazy writers, not different from lazy fans, that find it easier to write MM off as a "system QB @ Oregon" as opposed to actually watching the guy go through his progressions, look off a defender or 2, then make any and every throw in the book (when not putting the ball away and scrambling for chunks).

WTF? Punch yourself in the nuts and start working weekends if you actually believe that.

I'll punch myself in the nuts, but I'll go ahead and say Mariota will not be a good NFL quarterback. Maybe if he sat for a year or two. Can't argue with him winning the Heisman however.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":3be33fh4 said:
HawkWow":3be33fh4 said:

I'll punch myself in the nuts, but I'll go ahead and say Mariota will not be a good NFL quarterback. Maybe if he sat for a year or two. Can't argue with him winning the Heisman however.
Time will tell but I think he will be good in the NFL. His accuracy on occasion (but not always) is the only thing that concerns me.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1hlm2xmb said:
I don't think even the east coast/SEC bias is enough to overcome how good this guy is man. He's responsible for 42 TDs this year, 35 passing and 7 running IIRC. He's thrown 2, yes freakin' TWO interceptions. His team is about to be what, 11-1? The only thing IMO that could cost him would be a really bad game in a loss to AZ in the championship game. Not gonna happen.

BTW, Alabama will stay #1 IMO. Sad thing is that if Auburn's red zone offense wasn't beyond horrible, they win this game and the SEC may not even be in the final four (though I think they still are cuz of the SEC bias nationally).

EDIT: Now 36 TD passes and 43 total............responsible for all 6 of Oregon's TDs tonight, 4 passing and 2 rushing.

No doubt, SD1...I was being a bit facetious having read a column where like 7 out of 10 writers compared Mariota to Kaepernick. In fairness, they do both throw right handed and wear helmets. So I guess there's that.

Like yourself, I've seen more QBs than Kaepernick has seen tattoo parlors, but I cannot compare Mariota to a single one of them. The best I can do is call him a cross between Cunningham and Brady. He's as unique to the position as Russell Wilson and I believe his ceiling sky high. He just turned 21 a month ago and has like 100 Tds compared to a dozen ints, many more running and as Jsea pointed out, a receiving one as well.

I was sky high on Luck. Just as high, if not higher on Mariota. Some things just can't be measured or defined. He has a feel for the game uncanny for a kid his age. Certainly the team he goes to will dictate a large portion of his immediate success, but demonstrative leadership aside (which may actually be a bad thing these days) I think the kid will step in and perform immediately.

Edit: I agree about Bama staying atop. They went nuts scoring since I started this thread. Really surprised me, actually. Credit to Saban and the Tide.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm not high on the guy..He's had so much talent around him for that "system" how can you think he would just go to the NFL and play great?Lots have tried and failed..Many were great CFB Qbs with awesome stats..It means nothing at the next level..

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Mariota is no Joey Harrington or Akili Smith or Dennis Dixon. He doesn't have a canon arm, but he is quite smart and plays the game with his brain as well.
I see Mariota as a bigger version of Russell Wilson. He is a student of the game and a perfectionist.
The very first team needing a QB will draft him. I don't see how the Jets pass on this kid to select Winston.

CPHawk

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2qkruq4o said:
Mariota is no Joey Harrington or Akili Smith or Dennis Dixon. He doesn't have a canon arm, but he is quite smart and plays the game with his brain as well.
I see Mariota as a bigger version of Russell Wilson. He is a student of the game and a perfectionist.
The very first team needing a QB will draft him. I don't see how the Jets pass on this kid to select Winston.

But I sure as hell hope the jets do pass on him. The kid deserves better than playing for the jets.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CPHawk":2deb269d said:
joeseahawks":2deb269d said:

But I sure as hell hope the jets do pass on him. The kid deserves better than playing for the jets.
Right now, yes. When they fire Rex, maybe not. Will of course depend on who they hire as a HC.
Oh wait, the owner will stay the same. Never mind, you're right.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Well, the Heisman almost always goes to some QB who plays on a good team and puts up big numbers but won't make it as a starter in the NFL...MM certainly fits that mold...

:stirthepot:

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
IndyHawk":20csta93 said:
I'm not high on the guy..He's had so much talent around him for that "system" how can you think he would just go to the NFL and play great?Lots have tried and failed..Many were great CFB Qbs with awesome stats..It means nothing at the next level..

Lazy narrative alert!

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Just saw a graphic that said Mariota is responsible for more TDs than 104 FBS teams. Again, that's more than 104 freaking TEAMS!
If he doesn't get the Heisman, the award should be permanently discontinued for irresponsible, bullshit anti-west coat bias.

As for those of you commenting on his pro potential here, that's not what this thread is about nor is it what the Heisman's about.
And btw, I'm a Cougs fan first, Dawgs fan second so this isn't coming from a Ducks homer. Fact is the kid is far and away the best college football player in the nation this year and that's what the Heisman is supposed to be awarded for.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I really think he deserves it, and I say that as someone who really doesn't care for the Ducks and their stupid cartoon uniforms. I also think Dennis Dixon had a really good shot at it until he blew out his knee.

As much as I dislike the Ducks, I also hope they win the P12 because we must have a team from the conference in the playoffs.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
sc85sis":3k0kdlto said:
As much as I dislike the Ducks, I also hope they win the P12 because we must have a team from the conference in the playoffs.
pssst...Oregon won the Conference Championship last night.

sc85sis

Reaction score
It's now official. Congrats to Marcus on an overwhelming win in Heisman voting. He earned it.