WR and TEs we should have drafted

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Just looking at the stat lines today I couldn't help but notice many names that have been discussed in the forum over the last two drafts had amazing days. Makes me wish we had just one of these guys as a target for Wilson.

Devonte Adams 2014 GB 3rec 90yds
Donate Moncrief 2014 Indy 3rec 134yds 2tds
Jordan Reed 2013 Was 9rec 123yds
Robert Woods 2014 Buf 4rec 70yds
Dandre Hopkins 2013 Hour 9rec 238yds 2tds
Keenan Allen 2013 SD 11rec 121yds 2tds
Odell Beckham 2014 NYG 7rec 90yds
Marquis Lee 2014 Jax 6rec 75yds 1td
Steadman Bailey 2013 STL 5rec 100yds
Kenny Stills 2013 NO 5rec 162yds 1td

Each of these young players led their teams is receiving this week. At some point each one of these guys were real possibilities for our team.

Instead we drafted Chris Harper, Paul Richardson, Kevin Norwood, and Luke Wilson. Not to mention we spent a 1st and 3rd on Harvin.

The Seahawks management needs to take a close look at how they evaluate pass catchers over the next few years because it almost seems like we are the only team who has struggled to find a big reliable target for our young QB.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2bn4w3rq said:
Just looking at the stat lines today I couldn't help but notice many names that have been discussed in the forum over the last two drafts had amazing days. Makes me wish we had just one of these guys as a target for Wilson.

Each of these young players led their teams is receiving this week. At some point each one of these guys were real possibilities for our team.

Instead we drafted Chris Harper, Paul Richardson, Kevin Norwood, and Luke Wilson. Not to mention we spent a 1st and 3rd on Harvin.

The Seahawks management needs to take a close look at how they evaluate pass catchers over the next few years because it almost seems like we are the only team who has struggled to find a big reliable target for our young QB.

I've been talking about this for a while, and you make a good point but there are several problems with some of these guys:

-- Odell Beckham was a 1st rounder, we couldn't have drafted him. But there are so many rookie receivers this year that we could have had, but took Richardson instead. It seems pretty obvious to me that we missed out on a huge opportunity in this draft. Jordan Matthews is the big one in my book, but the others you mention are good as well, and there are many others.

I actually think the Harvin trade was good. Harvin is a special player, and if we had a decent offensive coordinator, and if he wasn't such an a$$hole, he would be an integral part of our offense.

I'm also not down on Willson. He's productive and we got him in the 5th round. That's a good pick, especially given the injuries to zach miller. I actually like Cooper Helfet best of the three. The TD he scored against the Cards was sweet!

And as critical as I am of the WR picks this year, I love the fact that we got Jermaine Kearse and Doug Baldwin as Undrafted Free Agents. Those guys are underrated in my opinion.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I don't see a single one of them on a run-orientated team like ours. You can argue Reed, but he's hardly been consistent.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1x66ld03 said:

I would add Jordan Matthews to the list. While he didn't lead the Eagles in receiving this weekend, he has been performing well. He could have been the big WR/ punt returner the Seahawks need.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":11ykzbub said:
I would add Jordan Matthews to the list. While he didn't lead the Eagles in receiving this weekend, he has been performing well. He could have been the big WR/ punt returner the Seahawks need.

Yeah I didn't gointo deatail on all the other rookies that have been doing well, because I touched on that in the thread about Top WR list pre draft.. There are a lot of rookie wr's making an impact. Just today briefly reading the box scores all these names poped out as guys we could have had if we wanted them by maneuvering to draft them.

gonzhawk

Reaction score
My belief is that the tend to "overthink" the position?

What, with being able to mentally handle the daily torment of LOB....

I realize the crapshoot the draft is, but to miss WR after WR and even TE? come, on,
overthinking it?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Outside of Evans/Watkins/Beckham .. I don't see any of the other rookies putting up the same numbers in this system. Those 3 guys were also Top 12 picks.. and for good reason. Hell ODB probably goes Top 5 if they re-do the draft tomorrow.

A lot of you forget how slow Golden Tate was in developing in this same offensive philosophy.

Richardson and Norwood will be fine. This isn't your typical passing offense.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2ismyxn3 said:
Outside of Evans/Watkins/Beckham .. I don't see any of the other rookies putting up the same numbers in this system. Those 3 guys were also Top 12 picks.. and for good reason. Hell ODB probably goes Top 5 if they re-do the draft tomorrow.

A lot of you forget how slow Golden Tate was in developing in this same offensive philosophy.

Richardson and Norwood will be fine. This isn't your typical passing offense.

That's on Golden. He was arrogant and thought he could get by on his talent alone. That's why he was inactive for a game or two.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Very frustrating to think the pick spent on Harvin could've been DeAndre Hopkins. What an absolute stud at Clemson, and now having a 1000 yard season with Fitzpatrick and Mallett at QB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another rookie WR doing well is Brandin Cooks. He was lighting it up in New Orleans before he got hurt.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2av3dq54 said:
Very frustrating to think the pick spent on Harvin could've been DeAndre Hopkins. What an absolute stud at Clemson, and now having a 1000 yard season with Fitzpatrick and Mallett at QB.

Ugh, I wanted Hopkins soooo bad last year. I felt he was the next Reggie Wayne, but he might prove even more dangerous.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":11jwmnhk said:
Another rookie WR doing well is Brandin Cooks. He was lighting it up in New Orleans before he got hurt.

Rumors before the draft we that we were really high on Brandin Cooks. I was not wanting another small WR so I was rooting against Cooks, we went small anyway with Richardson.

As to Over thinking it they were too focused on finding WR's that can get seperation that they didn't think to find a bail out big WR who Russ can truly take shots down the field and trust they will make the right play on the ball. I picture Wilson lofting deep balls to a WR like Dez Bryant and I wonder how far this team could go. I'm sure there is a stat somewhere showing how great that guy is in jump ball situations.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3hjpu3z4 said:

I wasn't high on Hopkins. I thought he was a bit to undersized to be a down field threat, but he's shown some real ability to attack the ball in the air. Damn Harvin.

mikeak

Reaction score
Moncrief. Many of us wanted him. He fell to the third....
Yeah no comment

With that said he could be much worse on our team. Who knows. PC wants good tacklers downfield and need to be about team

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2b2jqnij said:
hawkfan68":2b2jqnij said:

Rumors before the draft we that we were really high on Brandin Cooks. I was not wanting another small WR so I was rooting against Cooks, we went small anyway with Richardson.

As to Over thinking it they were too focused on finding WR's that can get seperation that they didn't think to find a bail out big WR who Russ can truly take shots down the field and trust they will make the right play on the ball. I picture Wilson lofting deep balls to a WR like Dez Bryant and I wonder how far this team could go. I'm sure there is a stat somewhere showing how great that guy is in jump ball situations.

There's not many rookie receivers outside of OBJ, Evans, and Benjamin who are making the sort of impact you're talking about of "bailing out" its QB. Most, so far, have just been really good fits for it offense. Richardson's not the receiver you hoped for (and what i want too) but he's still a good addition to the WR corp: great routes, great hands, great speed. We just need an improved passing game to utilize him better.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Wenhawk":23wpueoj said:

Half of these guys played HS football in California. Carroll was well aware of them, but chose to fill other needs (i.e. Britt was very much needed in the 2nd round this year).

Davante Adams was the receiver selected after Paul Richardson. IMO, he would have been a better pick than Richardson because of his jump ball ability in the red zone. In the end, I don't think there was any need to take a WR with our first pick given the depth of this receiver class. I.e., John Brown (5 TDs) went in the 3rd round, Martavis Bryant (6 TDs) went in the 4th round, and Allen Hurns (5 TDs) was undrafted.

Carroll must have a vision to add more speed to this offense, hence drafting Christine Michael in the 2nd round last year, Richardson in the 2nd round this year, and his general inclination to get Ricardo Lockette more involved in the offense.

endzorn

Reaction score
What we need at wide receiver are players who excell in the scramble drill, especially if they are big. Russell rarely pulls the trigger on scripted routes even when players are seemingly open. Russell's strength is extending plays and making things happen in chaos.