Mike Riley new coach at Nebraska!

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well that's great for Oregon state if true. Get a new coach and don't have to pay the money to fire him. Great news for ducks as well, we thought they might hire our offensive coordinator Scott frost, who is a Nebraska guy.

pehawk

Reaction score
Yeah, kind of a win-win there. I want to see Riley get a legit coaching spot, mainly because I cant decide whether he's a good coach or not.

I also want a better understanding of the NCAA football landscape as well. It used to be at a school like OSU or WSU, you can succeed every 3 years with a good crop of upperclassman, now I'm not sure.

Here's to OSU bringing Erickson home.

Part of me hope as a goof OSU reaches out to Chip.

drrew

Reaction score
I actually like Mike Riley and am impressed with what he's been able to accomplish at Oregon State, but this is a horrible move for Nebraska.

He's already 61, so even if he's great, you're starting over again within the next 7 or 8 years.

They really should be going after a hot coordinator at a Power 5 school, or a hot young coach.

Frost would have been a perfect hire and would have really gotten their alumni fired up, they're going to be completely underwhelmed by Riley.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
pehawk":2a2wyhmm said:
Part of me hope as a goof OSU reaches out to Chip.

I think you've got the wrong ex-duck. Wouldn't be surprised to see them target mike bellotti. I know he wants to get back into coaching.

drrew

Reaction score
Mike Riley last won a conference/division in 1990 as head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

On the Nebraska message boards, they're hoping that Riley is a low dollar move leaving more money to bring Frost in as OC and head coach in waiting. No sure I buy that, but we'll see what happens.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Another name to keep an eye on for the beavs is byu coach bronco mendenhall. He both played and coached at osu. I doubt they have the resources to pry him away from byu though.

Maybe jack del rio? His son might be their starting qb next year.

pehawk

Reaction score
If I was a player I'd want my coach to be named Bronco Mendanhall. Awesome name. And it could definitely be a move..."hey babe, take a shower, I want to give you the bronco-mendanhall..."

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
As a Husker fan, please someone talk me off the ledge. Didn't even know who Riley was before an hour ago, and am both perplexed and pissed right now. Any room for optimism?

drrew

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":2rupzzc8 said:
As a Husker fan, please someone talk me off the ledge. Didn't even know who Riley was before an hour ago, and am both perplexed and pissed right now. Any room for optimism?

This isn't going to help, but just saw this posted on twitter:

Mike Riley is older than Tom Osborne at the age he retired.

CPHawk

Reaction score
drrew":szt31w28 said:
Mike Riley last won a conference/division in 1990 as head coach of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

On the Nebraska message boards, they're hoping that Riley is a low dollar move leaving more money to bring Frost in as OC and head coach in waiting. No sure I buy that, but we'll see what happens.

That's a step down for frost, and Riley has no idea how to run the oregon O.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Lucky move for Oregon State. No clue what Nebraska is thinking here.

Oregon State should hire Pellini.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":1d50gd3k said:
...........I also want a better understanding of the NCAA football landscape as well. It used to be at a school like OSU or WSU, you can succeed every 3 years with a good crop of upperclassman, now I'm not sure.........
I don't think so anymore man. And that makes me sad as a Coug fan.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2xs2053a said:
pehawk":2xs2053a said:
...........I also want a better understanding of the NCAA football landscape as well. It used to be at a school like OSU or WSU, you can succeed every 3 years with a good crop of upperclassman, now I'm not sure.........

It's absolutely still true. Don't let the recent institutional blunders at WSU (read: allowing Doba assistants to drive program into the ground and then hiring Wulff to bury it) cloud your sight of what is possible.

Leach may or may not succeed there, but if he doesn't, it won't be because of some bullsheet reasoning of "it's because it's WSU." Every major conference school is capable of having success, some just come by it easier than others. Oregon State has been a bowl team 3 of the past 6 years. They were playing a Civil War for a Rose Bowl bid as recently as 2009.

drrew

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":vn48232q said:
hawksfansinceday1":vn48232q said:
pehawk":vn48232q said:

It's absolutely still true. Don't let the recent institutional blunders at WSU (read: allowing Doba assistants to drive program into the ground and then hiring Wulff to bury it) cloud your sight of what is possible.

Leach may or may not succeed there, but if he doesn't, it won't be because of some bullsheet reasoning of "it's because it's WSU." Every major conference school is capable of having success, some just come by it easier than others. Oregon State has been a bowl team 3 of the past 6 years. They were playing a Civil War for a Rose Bowl bid as recently as 2009.

Mississippi State proves that it's still doable. That program was completely irrelevant on the national scene five years ago, and they likely will be again five years from now, but right now, they're a major player.

WSU and OSU absolutely can succeed on a semi-regular basis, getting into low tier bowls most seasons with occasional looks at the conference title and some really down years sprinkled in.

I'm not sure Mike Leach gets the Cougars there, just seems way too reckless, but its doable. WSU offers something different than most of the other Pac12 schools that some kids will be drawn too. I'm a UW fan and employee, but I can appreciate the slower pace of life and general solitude out on the Palouse. It can be relaxing.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Rumors now that Ed orgeron might be joining his staff, which would be pretty big. One of the best recruiters in the country.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
drrew":22lg7xjx said:
Seahawks1983":22lg7xjx said:
hawksfansinceday1":22lg7xjx said:
pehawk":22lg7xjx said:

Mississippi State proves that it's still doable. That program was completely irrelevant on the national scene five years ago, and they likely will be again five years from now, but right now, they're a major player.

WSU and OSU absolutely can succeed on a semi-regular basis, getting into low tier bowls most seasons with occasional looks at the conference title and some really down years sprinkled in.

I'm not sure Mike Leach gets the Cougars there, just seems way too reckless, but its doable. WSU offers something different than most of the other Pac12 schools that some kids will be drawn too. I'm a UW fan and employee, but I can appreciate the slower pace of life and general solitude out on the Palouse. It can be relaxing.

Bingo. Well said.