Gary Andersen leaves Wisconsin for Oregon State

drrew

Reaction score
That's a huge hire for Oregon State, and the second really big kick in the face for Wisconsin after losing Bret Bielema to Arkansas.

I'm wondering if Barry Alvarez is difficult to work with.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Must be an issue with the AD/administration.

Bielema to Arkansas; Andersen to Oregon State. These moves would be described as lateral at best.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Bielema left because they wouldn't grow the salary pool for his assistants. He kept losing good coaches and got fed up. From what I've heard, OSU is offering 40 million in facility upgrades, I wonder if Wisconsin had a plan for facility improvements.

Or, Alvarez is too much of a meddler.

pehawk

Reaction score
They gave us Wilson and will now take Bevell. Wisconsin is our best friend.

OP
OP
D

drrew

Reaction score
pehawk":2jg0bbt9 said:

Can't see how they can wait until after NFL playoffs for Bevell. It would essentially mean they punt on an entire recruiting class.

pehawk

Reaction score
drrew":3pqvjpx0 said:
pehawk":3pqvjpx0 said:

Can't see how they can wait until after NFL playoffs for Bevell. It would essentially mean they punt on an entire recruiting class.

Alvarez is a meddler, he'll gladly pick up the slack.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
drrew":128p3hpe said:
pehawk":128p3hpe said:

Not necessarily. Some of the current assistant coaches may stay on, Bevell can add a few additional coaches to continue recruiting, and every one of their recruits can point to their TV screen and say "that guy's my next head coach," while the Seahawks make another Super Bowl run.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
It happened with Charlie Weis. He was essentially working two jobs, recruiting and filling a staff while coordinating the Patriots offense to a Super Bowl victory in 2004.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I'm not sure Barry actually ever stopped coaching the Badgers. The guy is the college version of Lombardi to Wisconsin fans. I have great respect for Alvarez but always questioned why he steeped aside...if he wasn't actually going to step aside. I would definitely peg him as a meddler. And a fantastic coach. AD? Not as sure.

BBlades89

Reaction score
drrew":24rb99mz said:
That's a huge hire for Oregon State, and the second really big kick in the face for Wisconsin after losing Bret Bielema to Arkansas.

I'm wondering if Barry Alvarez is difficult to work with.

Trust me....even though the Badgers went to multiple Rose Bowls, the majority of Badger fans were thrilled when Bielema left.

And you are correct about Alvarez. He is well liked here for good reason & was obviously a good coach. I've never met the guy, so I can't speak about him personally. However, I have always heard that he's hard to work with & don't think I've ever met anyone here that would call him nice person.

randomation

Reaction score
The issue appears to have been academics in addition to his family just not liking the area. Basically we require an extra year of math and an extra year of foreign language in fact to graduate 4 full years are required. It really is kind of dumb not to budge on that a lot of kids may not have even known they had a shot at going to Wisconsin until they blew up in their junior year by then it's to late to fix that issue. A lot of kids just take 2 years in junior and senior apparently several current player possibly including Borland and MG3 couldn't get admitted now since the bump up in credit requirements. Not sure if the board is trying to be Harvard or what but it's cost us multiple players to the likes of OSU and MSU.