Pre bowl games Seahawk 2015 Draft Mock

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I know it's way early. What I'd like to see from our Seahawks on 2015 draft day (as of Dec2014):

1st rd - Danny Shelton, DT, Wash
2nd rd - Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma
3rd rd - Markus Golden, DE, Missouri
4th rd - Jake Fisher, OT, Oregon
5th rd - David Cobb, RB, Minnesota
6th rd - Dallas Lewallen, C, Wisconsin
7th rd - Jalston Fowler, FB, Alabama

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Nice mock. The first three picks would be quite the steal.

I'm curious, though, what role do you see Shelton playing? I get the love for the guy, I'm just wondering if the value is there for a team to draft a player at the same position as its best defensive linemen. Would a returning healthy Mebane change your mind?

Any other thoughts to go with your mock? Like do you think Avril will get re-signed, so they could afford to wait till the 3rd to draft a DE or would that increase the need of a defensive end in your opinion?

Lastly, what type of tackle is Jake Fisher? A swing tackle or more a backup for Okung?

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2u594xye said:

I'm curious, though, what role do you see Shelton playing? I get the love for the guy, I'm just wondering if the value is there for a team to draft a player at the same position as its best defensive linemen. Would a returning healthy Mebane change your mind?

Any other thoughts to go with your mock? Like do you think Avril will get re-signed, so they could afford to wait till the 3rd to draft a DE or would that increase the need of a defensive end in your opinion?

Lastly, what type of tackle is Jake Fisher? A swing tackle or more a backup for Okung?

Thanks ReconHawk. Great questions. Following is my thinking...

My premise about Shelton is he could rotate with Mebane. Thus keeping Mebane healthier and fresher. Mebane is the best interior lineman on the team bar none. He's also one of the oldest, if not the oldest DL on the team. Shelton versatile in the sense, he's shown to be great against the run and also provides interior pas rush. Maybe they can play Mebane and Shelton together. It just gives many options on how to play upfront. Realistically, Shelton will most likely be drafted before the Seahawks pick, if he continues to impress.

I believe the Seahawks will re-sign Avril. He and Bennett are starting to form a tenacious duo. Keep that going. I believe that Schofield may be gone. He could start out as the backup for Avril and the LEO spot. Then take over there in the future.

Fisher is a versatile lineman. He's played both RT and LT. I see him primarily as the backup to Okung starting out. Currently there isn't a natural backup at LT on the team. This would help with depth there. His strength is pass protection so maybe situational rotation to spell Okung too.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":fjb560ns said:
Recon_Hawk":fjb560ns said:

My premise about Shelton is he could rotate with Mebane. Thus keeping Mebane healthier and fresher. Mebane is the best interior lineman on the team bar none. He's also one of the oldest, if not the oldest DL on the team. Shelton versatile in the sense, he's shown to be great against the run and also provides interior pas rush. Maybe they can play Mebane and Shelton together. It just gives many options on how to play upfront. Realistically, Shelton will most likely be drafted before the Seahawks pick, if he continues to impress.

I believe the Seahawks will re-sign Avril. He and Bennett are starting to form a tenacious duo. Keep that going. I believe that Schofield may be gone. He could start out as the backup for Avril and the LEO spot. Then take over there in the future.

Fisher is a versatile lineman. He's played both RT and LT. I see him primarily as the backup to Okung starting out. Currently there isn't a natural backup at LT on the team. This would help with depth there. His strength is pass protection so maybe situational rotation to spell Okung too.

Great response. I'm not sold on drafting a NT in the first round, but I respect and appreciate your line of thinking. If there was a guy that would be worth it, it'd be Shelton.

I completely agree on re-signing Avril. Unless he's asking for a crazy contract, the bond he and Bennett have formed is invaluable. Irvin has been better than expected moving down to DE in passing situations, but Schofield is so far under- performing. Adding a replacement defensive end to go with Cassius Marsh should be a need.

Drafting a backup tackle is something I'd also like to see done, but I wonder if they view LG as a position needed to be addressed as well. We know they like view the draft as an opportunity to compete with its current roster. A 4th round tackle who can backup Okung is important, but a 4th rd guard who can possible beat out Bailey (assuming Carp isn't re-signed) might be higher on the list of needs. Sort of like this year's drafting of Britt to compete with Michael Bowie.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2fb4sp5s said:
hawkfan68":2fb4sp5s said:
Recon_Hawk":2fb4sp5s said:

Great response. I'm not sold on drafting a NT in the first round, but I respect and appreciate your line of thinking. If there was a guy that would be worth it, it'd be Shelton.

I completely agree on re-signing Avril. Unless he's asking for a crazy contract, the bond he and Bennett have formed is invaluable. Irvin has been better than expected moving down to DE in passing situations, but Schofield is so far under- performing. Adding a replacement defensive end to go with Cassius Marsh should be a need.

Drafting a backup tackle is something I'd also like to see done, but I wonder if they view LG as a position needed to be addressed as well. We know they like view the draft as an opportunity to compete with its current roster. A 4th round tackle who can backup Okung is important, but a 4th rd guard who can possible beat out Bailey (assuming Carp isn't re-signed) might be higher on the list of needs. Sort of like this year's drafting of Britt to compete with Michael Bowie.

You make some really good points. I thought about LG...because they have Bailey, I went the OT route. Technically they have Gilliam at tackle, so guard may be possibility. I think the need at C is there because they went through 4 this year. Unger, Schilling, Lewis, and now LJP. So even though I didn't draft someone early, that may be the direction they lean toward in the upcoming draft.

I like Shelton, I must admit it was a bit of a homer pick on my part. Malcom Brown would also be a good fit at DT. It may not even be a spot they go to if they feel Robertson is a fit.

pehawk

Reaction score
This is a good thread, save the fellatio you two are verbally giving each other. Good lord you two!?

We're you guys Co-SEC Defensive Players of the year, by chance? You sound like one

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Give it a couple months Pe. There'll be enough man on man hate on this forum to satisfy your sadistic needs.

OP
OP
hawkfan68

hawkfan68

Reaction score
pehawk":16ue2d8z said:
This is a good thread, save the fellatio you two are verbally giving each other. Good lord you two!?

We're you guys Co-SEC Defensive Players of the year, by chance? You sound like one

haha...I sense some jealousy, Pe. Don't worry, I got enough love for all!