Compensatory pick for Tate

endzorn

Reaction score
I read a while back that compensatory picks are based on contracts and then first year production in the new deal. Tate is having one of the best free agent wide receiver years I can remember. With his sizable contract what are the odds we get a third round pick for him?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
endzorn":297i6va9 said:
I read a while back that compensatory picks are based on contracts and then first year production in the new deal. Tate is having one of the best free agent wide receiver years I can remember. With his sizable contract what are the odds we get a third round pick for him?

Virtually astronomical.

Tate's contract is relatively low compared to the UFAs of his class. His contract is more in the 5th round range (16th out of the 2014 class in terms of dollar amount). What's unknown is how losing more than 4 net qualifying UFAs affects your awarded comp picks.

The performance escalation doesn't seem to factor too much historically. It certainly would factor into which 5th round pick we'd receive. But there are too many UFAs qualifying for comp picks to think Tate's deal would be advanced by a round.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3dzdf4fj said:
endzorn":3dzdf4fj said:

Virtually astronomical.

Tate's contract is relatively low compared to the UFAs of his class. His contract is more in the 5th round range (16th out of the 2014 class in terms of dollar amount). What's unknown is how losing more than 4 net qualifying UFAs affects your awarded comp picks.

The performance escalation doesn't seem to factor too much historically. It certainly would factor into which 5th round pick we'd receive. But there are too many UFAs qualifying for comp picks to think Tate's deal would be advanced by a round.

I like this breakdown. It gives us two fourths, a fifth and a sixth.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2014/3/27/555 ... pd-in-2015

Of course, they haven't factored in the rising salary cap but I'd be pretty annoyed if Golden didn't qualify us for at least a 4th, but yeh, I wouldn't bet on him netting us a 3rd.

kf3339

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3q50dks8 said:
Attyla the Hawk":3q50dks8 said:
endzorn":3q50dks8 said:

Virtually astronomical.

Of course, they haven't factored in the rising salary cap but I'd be pretty annoyed if Golden didn't qualify us for at least a 4th, but yeh, I wouldn't bet on him netting us a 3rd.

That article is from March, 2014 before this season's production was known. If production has any bearing at all I would think Tate's has elevated us to a third round pick. The others seem about right since their production has not jumped up in the same manner.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kf3339":33yodgt0 said:
SomersetHawk":33yodgt0 said:
Attyla the Hawk":33yodgt0 said:
endzorn":33yodgt0 said:

Virtually astronomical.

That article is from March, 2014 before this season's production was known. If production has any bearing at all I would think Tate's has elevated us to a third round pick. The others seem about right since their production has not jumped up in the same manner.

I read that article too. While I respect Stanger, I disagree with his assertion that Tate's is close to a 3rd round qualifier.

First, the fact that Wright was signed to an average of 7.5 mill in 2013 only netted a 4th round comp pick would strongly indicate that Tate's 6.2 will also only qualify as a 4th round pick.

Additionally, this year's crop of UFA signings is constituted a bit differently. Where in 2013 there were a couple really high value signings (Finnegan and Wallace) and then Kruger at 8m. This year there are a lot of 8m+ signings. In fact Tate's average contract is the 13th highest qualifying contract (3 higher deals were either resignings by original teams or didn't otherwise qualify). It's safer to assume no more than four 3rd round qualifiers for this class. Over the last 5 years the # of 3rd round comp picks awarded looks like thus:

2014: 4
2013: 3
2012: 1
2011: 1
2010: 3

So it's very unlikely that Tate's contract + performance modification will leapfrog 7 other UFA signings. As it is, Tate's contract average puts him very much on the bubble between 4th and 5th round compensation. Based on the composition of the UFA signing pool of last year's class. It's important to remember, that as the cap value increases, the threshold for what a contract qualifies for similarly inflates year over year.

What isn't known yet, is how many of those 13 UFA losses are going to be canceled out by their original teams UFA additions. While Tate's deal currently ranks 13th highest, some of those 13 losses are going to be canceled out because their original teams signed someone else of similar value. This will definitely be the case amongst those that are 4th and 5th round qualifying contracts.

I'd be thrilled if we get a 3rd. I would expect us to end up with one of the top 3-4 comp picks awarded in round 4. I'm sure as we get closer to the draft the actual qualfiers will be sorted out better.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1o2l317o said:
I read that article too. While I respect Stanger, I disagree with his assertion that Tate's is close to a 3rd round qualifier.

First, the fact that Wright was signed to an average of 7.5 mill in 2013 only netted a 4th round comp pick would strongly indicate that Tate's 6.2 will also only qualify as a 4th round pick.

Additionally, this year's crop of UFA signings is constituted a bit differently. Where in 2013 there were a couple really high value signings (Finnegan and Wallace) and then Kruger at 8m. This year there are a lot of 8m+ signings. In fact Tate's average contract is the 13th highest qualifying contract (3 higher deals were either resignings by original teams or didn't otherwise qualify). It's safer to assume no more than four 3rd round qualifiers for this class. Over the last 5 years the # of 3rd round comp picks awarded looks like thus:

2014: 4
2013: 3
2012: 1
2011: 1
2010: 3

So it's very unlikely that Tate's contract + performance modification will leapfrog 7 other UFA signings. As it is, Tate's contract average puts him very much on the bubble between 4th and 5th round compensation. Based on the composition of the UFA signing pool of last year's class.

Here's the latest projections at OTC regarding comp picks. Currently they have Tate as the last qualifier for a 4th round pick. Depending on final cap numbers, it's still probably pick em whether he remains a 4th. Despite being named to the pro bowl as an alternate

Source: http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-co ... -for-2015/

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Even at a fourth round selection, assuming that the Jets retain Harvin, that leaves the Seahawks with four selections in the fourth round. A great round for depth, or possibly moving back into the third for a guy that they "have to have."

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/563147123865026560[/tweet]

Over the Cap Link >>> [urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-compensatory-draft-picks-for-2015/[/urltargetblank]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/563147482222186498[/tweet]

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Yeah, 4-5-5-6 seems like a reasonable guess for Tate-Browner-Breno-McDonald. If the Jets somehow convince themselves to keep Harvin, we're looking at a pretty sweet outside haul of draft picks. Couldn't have come at a better time, realy.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/563147738561273856[/tweet]

original poster

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2nxrzxp7 said:
3 4's and 3 5's are perfect trade up material...

Exactly what I was thinking?

Where do you think they will trade up to? And using which picks?

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2y8za2zn said:
You can't trade compensatory selections.

No but a 4th rd comp pick is only a few picks after their actual 4th rd pick. You can trade the 4/31 and keep the comp pick.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":v2odgxb2 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":v2odgxb2 said:

No but a 4th rd comp pick is only a few picks after their actual 4th rd pick. You can trade the 4/31 and keep the comp pick.

You better come with a better package than that if you plan on moving up.

I don't think that we move up, honestly. The team needs depth so the middle rounds, and having six selections in the fourth and fifth rounds, are going to be crucial.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I could see us move up, but not big. Maybe try and get a couple of third rounders. We could need starters at WR, G and CB plus contributors on the D line. Might make sense to draft Marshawn's future replacement too if the right guy falls to us (and depending on how we view Michael's future).

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":s7xg02s4 said:
EverydayImRusselin":s7xg02s4 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":s7xg02s4 said:

You better come with a better package than that if you plan on moving up.

I don't think that we move up, honestly. The team needs depth so the middle rounds, and having six selections in the fourth and fifth rounds, are going to be crucial.

I didn't say anything about moving up, just that you can use your comp picks as replacement picks for regular picks that are traded if need be.

SuperFreak

Reaction score
Jville":etasj97a said:

Thanks for posting this, makes me feel like the Seahawks can really restore some depth this season even if we have to move on from some vets like Mebane or Miller.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Jville":2svgcu71 said:

Plus, that first 4th Rounder would be very high. Jets pick 5th in the 4th Round at No. 101 . . . six picks lower than our 3rd rounder (not including compensatories).