Ohio State's Devin Smith is frickin awesome

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Man, that guy is some player. Going to have a post up tomorrow with more details, but this is a dude to watch. Incredible, incredible receiver.

SDHawk

Reaction score
Looks like PReach clone.

Were you high on PReach last offseason?

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I liked him but didn't pay much attention because I assumed (incorrectly) that they'd really want to add size to the WR group -- and there were bigger WR's available in a rich class at the position. But yeah, liked him a lot and Smith shares some of his qualities.

kearly

Reaction score
Reminds me a lot of Doug Baldwin. He even bobs his head the same way when talking shit to DBs.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Catch his tape on draftbreakdown? I came away impressed, but not quite 'frickin awesome'. Be interesting to get your further thoughts on him. There's plenty to like, his route running seems solid and he has great body control and ability to go up and get the ball.

pehawk

Reaction score
Sa-weet! This could devolve into a fight between British Draft Nerds!

If I was corny I'd have that one thing where the yellow-faced (racist!) is eating popcorn, right in this very spot.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":3339caks said:

If I was corny I'd have that one thing where the yellow-faced (racist!) is eating popcorn, right in this very spot.

Ha! I'm afraid it won't transpire into that, us British aren't keyboard warriors, we'd much rather meet up at a neutral pub and solve it with a game of darts.

I liked Smith's tape too, I just wouldn't have gone to the extent of calling him an 'incredible, incredible receiver', though it was nearly 1am over here at the time of posting, and on Christmas week no less. It's a possibility that he was a tad squiffy.

And even if he wasn't then I'm still not going to argue, as high as I was on him Rob pretty much formed the Odell Beckham Jr bandwagon around here from what I can remember, and did it whilst some people still thought he might fall to the second round. I hold his opinion in high regard.

pehawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":g4e2hune said:
pehawk":g4e2hune said:

Ha! I'm afraid it won't transpire into that, us British aren't keyboard warriors, we'd much rather meet up at a neutral pub and solve it with a game of darts.

I liked Smith's tape too, I just wouldn't have gone to the extent of calling him an 'incredible, incredible receiver', though it was nearly 1am over here at the time of posting, and on Christmas week no less. It's a possibility that he was a tad squiffy.

And even if he wasn't then I'm still not going to argue, as high as I was on him Rob pretty much formed the Odell Beckham Jr bandwagon around here from what I can remember, and did it whilst some people still thought he might fall to the second round. I hold his opinion in high regard.

That's so polite it makes me want to puke.

chet380

Reaction score
An off-topic query for the Brits --

Is the use of Roman numerals or "Junior" in persons' names peculiar to Americans or does it occur in the UK as well?

A London Hawk

Reaction score
Although, to be fair, we started it, a thousand years or so ago.

And no, I'm not trying to be entirely historically accurate and yes, Europeans probably hung numbers on their monarchs before we did.)

pehawk

Reaction score
I know given his NFL career (so far) this comparison wont fit, but, I kind of see a Robert Woods. He could sneak up into round one if he shines at the combine like Woods did.

I'm still a pretty big believer in Woods. Yeah, I know.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
pehawk":1jkk2zrt said:
SomersetHawk":1jkk2zrt said:
pehawk":1jkk2zrt said:

That's so polite it makes me want to puke.
:177692: I myself find it interesting that we have two Brits who love football..I mean you got so many sports over there that have been around before football..Did you guys get into it during NFL Europe days?Sorry I am off topic here..Btw I am a born Buckeye but don't like Ohio State..They have a few good players .Don't recall this WR..

chet380

Reaction score
A London Hawk":2kbb18hr said:
Although, to be fair, we started it, a thousand years or so ago.

And no, I'm not trying to be entirely historically accurate and yes, Europeans probably hung numbers on their monarchs before we did.)

If old English tradition were to be followed, the Baltimore WR would be known as Steve Smith The Younger :)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":kheg7u5x said:

Nice analysis, I'd be surprised if he goes in the top 20 and it's not often a WR with 30 catches on the year lands in the first round but with a couple of good prospects going back to college it's not inconceivable he'll climb.

Intriguing prospect though, 27 yards per catch is nuts and outside of the OT win over Penn St he didn't go another game where he recorded a reception without getting a play of at least 30 yards. He had receptions of at least 40 yards in seven of those eleven games, and 50 yards in four.

IndyHawk":kheg7u5x said:
:177692: I myself find it interesting that we have two Brits who love football..I mean you got so many sports over there that have been around before football..Did you guys get into it during NFL Europe days?Sorry I am off topic here..Btw I am a born Buckeye but don't like Ohio State..They have a few good players .Don't recall this WR..

Family friends in Seattle gave me some gear when I was a kid. I used to catch whatever games I could when they were showing on TV, though I guess I properly started to follow them in 2009 and haven't missed a game in about five years.

I try and catch college games when I can but Saturday's are dedicated to 'soccer' over here. I don't have any collegiate allegiance. I tried to catch Marshall games whenever I could because of their history (The 70' crash) but haven't watched them for a while.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":a2cvjafi said:

I used to live in Vancouver... used to travel to Seattle every now and again. Went to a game, became hooked and then obsessed. Never looked back.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the imfo..It happens different than I imagined..Good to know there is Hawk fans in Europe..

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I see it now, he's really good. Sometimes it takes a few watches. As far as comparisons go, I actually see some Lee, and it's not just the number.

[youtube]ntpqHKv5afQ[/youtube]

A London Hawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":18i52ifn said:

Bit late to the party on this response, but anyway.. there's at least 5 Brits posting on .net :)

Saying "I love football" might be a little strong in my case, though my interest has picked up greatly with the advent of the internets. Primarily I consider myself a Hawks fan

I got into it 25+ years ago, in my early teens. I had a friend who was a huge 9ers fan, played football computer games and board games with him occasionally. Saw my first NFL game at his place, which the Hawks won. They've been my team ever since.