What's the earliest you would ever take a punter?

lukerguy

Reaction score
I'm not sure this JK Scott kid will declare himself for the pros as a red shirt freshman, but he's 6'5 and certainly the best punter I've ever seen come out of college. He has the ability to flip field position single handily.

He had a 73 yard punt in the championship game, and has even better than that in the past. His first ever collage punt was from around his own 25 and they pinned them back inside the 5!

If you can flip field every game by 30-40 yards, and save about 1M on the cap hit, it seems to be pretty valuable.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Jon Ryan has already chimed in on him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRyan9/status/550857582521221121[/tweet]

sc85sis

Reaction score
If he's a RS Freshman, he isn't draft eligible until 2016. Jon's safe for another year!

kf3339

Reaction score
I would give a 3rd round for a punter, but he would have to be really good!

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Rat":20tvbpsn said:
That guy is sick. 2nd round.

Fitting that the guy who thinks Charlie Whitehurst is a good quarterback would take a punter in the 2nd round.

I'd go no earlier than 5.. and they better be freaking special. Otherwise 7th-UDFA

jkitsune

Reaction score
This entire thread is ridiculous. You need look no further than the number of productive, excellent pros who come out of the 2nd/3rd/5th round EVERY YEAR, compared to the number of STELLAR PUNTERS who get drafted every year, to get your answer.

Anger went in the 3rd round... before Russell Wilson. Drafting a punter sooner than the 7th round is idiocy.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
3rd round, before Russell Wilson

-signed the Jags

chet380

Reaction score
jkitsune":3tgq1kfm said:
This entire thread is ridiculous. You need look no further than the number of productive, excellent pros who come out of the 2nd/3rd/5th round EVERY YEAR, compared to the number of STELLAR PUNTERS who get drafted every year, to get your answer.

Anger went in the 3rd round... before Russell Wilson. Drafting a punter sooner than the 7th round is idiocy.

Ray Guy .... Hall Of Fame

jkitsune

Reaction score
chet380":3sv8m192 said:
jkitsune":3sv8m192 said:

In 1973.

kearly

Reaction score
Depends if you need a QB or not. If my roster needed a QB, any QB who goes on to be anything after I draft that punter is going to be a noose around my neck.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
SeatownJay":4lqiedsr said:
Jon Ryan has already chimed in on him.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRyan9/status/550857582521221121[/tweet]

If true, I like him already. I hate animals and old people too!

Rat

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3gyw9c8i said:
Fitting that the guy who thinks Charlie Whitehurst is a good quarterback would take a punter in the 2nd round.

I'd go no earlier than 5.. and they better be freaking special. Otherwise 7th-UDFA
It's a combination of him being extremely talented, and hot.

With our defense, having a weapon like Scott, would be game over, if it's not already over. Easily worth a high-ish pick.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me at all if we took him in the 3rd round if he were still there. We need to do something about our return game and that would be a pretty good and cheap fix overall for years if we wanted to go that way.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1gd0f1p0 said:
Depends if you need a QB or not. If my roster needed a QB, any QB who goes on to be anything after I draft that punter is going to be a noose around my neck.

I'd be of the same mind. It would completely depend on the team.

For most teams, it's not a big issue. Few teams focus on defense or have any real expectation of resisting opposing offenses. For a team with a great defense that relies on winning the field position game, it's much more important.

jkitsune

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1j2tdjsv said:
It wouldn't shock me at all if we took him in the 3rd round if he were still there. We need to do something about our return game and that would be a pretty good and cheap fix overall for years if we wanted to go that way.

This is what led Jacksonville to make one of the worst picks of the NFL draft.

Rat

Reaction score
jkitsune":1ndl7ywm said:
MizzouHawkGal":1ndl7ywm said:

This is what led Jacksonville to make one of the worst picks of the NFL draft.

Jacksonville didn't have the team in place that we do. I think Scott is amazing, but I also think at least 3/4ths of the teams in the NFL would be insane to take him before the 4th round.

chris98251

Reaction score
jkitsune":2pben5gl said:
chet380":2pben5gl said:
jkitsune":2pben5gl said:

In 1973.

So 1973 you draft a punter that is a hall of famer that stayed with your team his whole career, he changed how Punters were viewed and made a impact on the game and how it was played on 4th down.

1973 or 2023, impact player, difference maker, you pick him. If he was a kicker that could Kick 80 yard field goals do you pass on him because he is a kicker or take him because he is a difference maker.