Looking to the future . . . Fieldgulls' 2015 cap projection

hawknation2015

Reaction score
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-anal ... j-r-sweezy

Some interesting guesses here. Personally, I think Demarcus Dobbs has a better chance at re-signing (one-year veteran minimum deal) than some of the other players listed. This has $6.3 million tied up in re-signing James Carpenter, Jermaine Kearse, Tarvaris Jackson, and Tony Moeaki. That's enough to sign a good FA receiver. And why would we sign a 4th TE for more than the veteran minimum, especially someone so injury prone?

I agree that Maxwell is unlikely to be re-signed. Don't agree with bringing back Derrick Coleman. Depending on the development of B. J. Daniels, they could save over a million by cutting ties with Tarvaris Jackson. They could also save $3 million in cap space by releasing Tony McDaniel, who regressed this season and is turning 30. A three-technique DT should be a priority in this draft if a good one is available, along with WRs and OTs.

Screen Shot 2015 01 09 at 100253 AM0
Screen Shot 2014 12 23 at 23542 PM0

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Yeh, I mean, this is all prospective at this point so it's hard to take that seriously. I'm not sure he'd have many takers on re-signing Carp or even tendering Kearse.

I also agree with you on bringing Dodd back on the cheap at this stage, though maybe he'll tear it up from now until our next Lombardi and price us out of the market.

I do agree with him in that our cap looks tough though. Tougher than a few people around here think. Still, I trust the FO, and the fact they were looking at V-Jax means that they were going to create money somewhere.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1bl50f85 said:
Yeh, I mean, this is all prospective at this point so it's hard to take that seriously. I'm not sure he'd have many takers on re-signing Carp or even tendering Kearse.

I also agree with you on bringing Dodd back on the cheap at this stage, though maybe he'll tear it up from now until our next Lombardi and price us out of the market.

I do agree with him in that our cap looks tough though. Tougher than a few people around here think. Still, I trust the FO, and the fact they were looking at V-Jax means that they were going to create money somewhere.
Our cap isn't perfect but it's in far better shape then many teams for example Kansas City is looking at cutting Tamba Hali no matter how they slice it because currently they are looking at something like 500K under the cap. I think you're right about Kearse he can be replaced pretty easily in my opinion and Carpenter probably could be signed at a bargain price and if not just move on.

It's the advantage of having such a crap offensive line that it can likely be replaced/recycled pretty cheaply and easily. That will probably change once we move on from Lynch and Wilson ages.

kearly

Reaction score
They will use a 2nd round RFA tag on Kearse. Would be silly to do anything less after the displays he's put on in the postseason. I think it's at least 50/50 he sticks around for a 2nd contract as well. He's our best deep threat currently and it's not even close. The uncertainty of Richardson's health means Seattle won't get cute with Kearse.

Carp will be interesting. Maybe he stays, but IMO he is expendable. I think Sweezy signs an extension, unless Cable leaves, maybe.

I think Maxwell is gone. He's better than Browner and younger... everyone is trying to copy Seattle's secondary.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2i5cd2rx said:
They will use a 2nd round RFA tag on Kearse. Would be silly to do anything less after the displays he's put on in the postseason. I think it's at least 50/50 he sticks around for a 2nd contract as well. He's our best deep threat currently and it's not even close. The uncertainty of Richardson's health means Seattle won't get cute with Kearse.

Carp will be interesting. Maybe he stays, but IMO he is expendable. I think Sweezy signs an extension, unless Cable leaves, maybe.

I think Maxwell is gone. He's better than Browner and younger... everyone is trying to copy Seattle's secondary.

Yeh, I posted that before the game, it seemed the jury was out until that showing with many. Makes even more sense now, especially with P-Rich's injury. Had that not been so then maybe there'd have been a case for tendering Byron.

Can't see Carp staying unless it's for a discount. Hopefully Sweezy signs an extension, he's still improving and if we can get him on a modest contract that will continue to look like a bargain.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
kearly":2sb0ini6 said:

given Simon's struggles the last game that would be too bad. is he ready to take Maxwell's role?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":14z5n8dr said:
kearly":14z5n8dr said:

given Simon's struggles the last game that would be too bad. is he ready to take Maxwell's role?

Maxwell took the big leap in 2013 (year 3). Before that, he didn't show a whole lot more than Jeremy Lane or Ron Parker/Philip Adams/Kennard Cox.

Simon struggled yes. But Simon has also flashed. I expect that when his confidence matches his tools, and in particular when his experience allows him to play fast as opposed to hesitant -- we will see the same kind of result.

He just looks like he's a shade slow in recognition and trusting what he sees. When he is decisive and aggressive/confident -- he makes good plays on the ball.

I think he'll get there. It'll take a few games. But I think by this time next season if he's healthy -- he's going to be seen as the next high priced UFA destined to leave our slice of heaven.

These development guys take time. Thurmond did. Browner did. Maxwell did. About the only one to really hit his stride within his first year is Sherman.