Potential kick return men in the draft?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I have had my eye out recently for players eligible for the draft that can be an effective backup (or starter replacement) that can play their position very well, but that can also return punts and/or kickoffs to replace Brian Walter’s role on the roster. So far, I have identified a number of players that are both good position players & returners. I pretty much limited this search to the DB,RB & WR ranks as that is where most, if not all of the kick returners play.

The best of the bunch I have found, so far, would be RB-Marcus Murphy from Missouri. He returns both punts & kickoff’s very well and although he’s not a direct Lynch replacement, IMO he could add much more value than Brian Walters on the current roster. Murphy has 162 total punt & kickoff returns and is very experienced in that role and he’s not a bad (at least B/U) RB to boot. He is currently projected as a late round (6/7) pick, (= a + value, IMO).

RB-Marcus Murphy - Missouri, 5-9/195, ?.??/40. (Watch combine #'s.)
---------------2014: (14-games)-----------------
--177-rushes for 924-yds. & 4-TD’s, a 5.22/avg.
--28-receptions for 212-yds. & 1-TD, a 7.57/avg.
--27-punt returns for 281-yds. & 1-TD, a 10.41/avg.
--17-kickoff returns for 504-yds. & 2-TD’s, a 29.65/avg.

---------------2013: (14-games)------------------
--92-rushes for 601-yds. & 9-TD’s, a 6.53/avg.
--11-receptions for 79-yds. & 1-TD, a 7.18/avg.
--21-punt returns for 146-yds. & 0-TD, a 6.95/avg.
--27-kickoff returns for 599-yds. & 0-TD, a 22.19/avg.

---------------2012: (12-games)-----------------
--46-rushes for 251-yds & 1-TD, a 5.46/avg.
--9-receptions for 22-yds. & 0-TD, a 2.44/avg.
--27-punt returns for 374-yds. & 3-TD’s, a 13.85/avg.
--19-kickoff returns for 458-yds & 1-TD, 24.11/avg.

-----------------2010: (parts of 12 games)-----------------
--22-rushes for 181-yds. & 2-TD’s, a 8.23/avg.
--2-receptions for5-yds & 0-TD, a 2.5/avg.
--no punt returns,
--24-kickoff returns for 475-yds. & 0-TD, a 19.79/avg.

-->RB-Marcus Murphy: CAREER #’s:
Rushing-------337-rushes for 1957-yds. & 16-TD’s, a 5.80/avg. (Not too bad!)
Receiving-------40-receptions for 318-yds & 3-TD’s, a 6.36/avg. (He can catch a little!)
Punt Returns-------75-punt returns for 801-yds & 4-TD’s, a 10.68/avg. (A very good average!)
Kick Off Returns-------87-kickoff returns for 2036-yds & 3-TD’s, a 23.40/avg. (above average!)
Career all-purpose total--------5,112-yds. (+ 7-TD’s as a returner & 19-TD’s as a RB.)

Stats: http://www.cfbstats.com/2014/player/434 ... index.html

Chawks1

Reaction score
I really like Ty Montgomery WR from Stanford. Hurt his shoulder this year so missed some time. But he can return kickoffs and punts and is an excellent WR. With Richardson now out and Bryan Walters showing solid hands but no mojo on punts I think this would be a good pick up.

I want to see him in the Senior Bowl and combine.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Stefon Diggs is an interesting guy. Missed a few games this year but still averaged 80 yards per game and is a pretty good kick returner (has returned punts too).

I think he was a Top 3 recruit and had offers from some huge colleges but decided to stay near home. Who knows what he could have become on another team but it's not inconceivable to think he'll fall to the last day of the draft.

[youtube]G71doSPhw4[/youtube]

I'm also someone who rings Kenny Bell's bell.

[youtube]2kbf3TzCFeI[/youtube]

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Chris Harper, Jr from Cal returns punts but I prefer his receiving skills. Been called a poor man's DeSean Jackson because he doesn't have great speed but he's a really solid route runner, elusive with the ball in or out of his hands. Kind of reminds me a little of P-Rich too. Had a great year last year but has widely been said to suffer from poor QB play. Still caught balls in 34 of 35 games. Seems to have no problem getting really good separation, profiles best as a slot guy (though should probably bulk up a little).

[youtube]9DWI2dsDo1g[/youtube]

ivotuk

Reaction score
Gurley, he has what it takes and it would be a great way to break him in...if his knee is okay.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have been hoping we get David Johnson for KR since the Senior Bowl.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1vmzdur3 said:
Scottemojo":1vmzdur3 said:
Definite value there.
I keep wondering if he has a future at WR. His hands are crazy good.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Scottemojo":10rtlh9x said:
TeamoftheCentury":10rtlh9x said:
Scottemojo":10rtlh9x said:
Definite value there.
I keep wondering if he has a future at WR. His hands are crazy good.
Are you thinking like a Golden Tate - RB playing WR?

He's a player. Read somewhere that some project him as an HB/TE. Whatever the case, I like what he does with the ball once in his hands. Teammates love him, humble. Type of player teams love because of all the things he can possibly do for ya.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
Phillip Dorsett. He reminds me of brandin cooks and Steve smith. Pretty tough guy for his size. Check out the return vs Georgia tech at 4 min mark.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tedd Ginn just got released by the Cardinals today. He can return both punts and kick offs. Doubt he would have much value as a WR other than being a deep threat. Does anyone know if he plays on the coverage team? I just can't see us signing a guy who only returns.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
brimsalabim":r3kao3ej said:
TeamoftheCentury":r3kao3ej said:
David Johnson, Northern Iowa

[youtube]IxC1LvZ5hSM[/youtube]
[youtube]T7-Xa9Rybi0[/youtube]

Good find. He looks like an all around weapon. I googled him to find out more and the Vikings may be targeting him too. They have a good write up on him.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/2/22/ ... id-johnson

Is there something wrong with the link? Doesn't seem to work for me.

The Twelvethman

Reaction score
Sort of with the topic but what ever happened to the D.Hester/P.Peterson CB Return men? Everyone is mentioning WR Returners to draft, are there any Slot Corner/Return men as we are weak in both those too?

Seafan

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1dglat2h said:
Chris Harper, Jr from Cal returns punts but I prefer his receiving skills. Been called a poor man's DeSean Jackson because he doesn't have great speed but he's a really solid route runner, elusive with the ball in or out of his hands. Kind of reminds me a little of P-Rich too. Had a great year last year but has widely been said to suffer from poor QB play. Still caught balls in 34 of 35 games. Seems to have no problem getting really good separation, profiles best as a slot guy (though should probably bulk up a little).

I like him too but he's PRich's clone. Wasn't at the combine so he could be a little under the radar.

Don't draft him in the 4th, Hawks haven't been successful drafting WRs named Chris Harper in the 4th round, any WR for that matter. Take him in the 5/6.

In for a visit: www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/40701/c ... i4ipi-M4pQ

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Seafan":1o8x53lx said:
SomersetHawk":1o8x53lx said:

I like him too but he's PRich's clone. Wasn't at the combine so he could be a little under the radar.

Don't draft him in the 4th, Hawks haven't been successful drafting WRs named Chris Harper in the 4th round, any WR for that matter. Take him in the 5/6.

In for a visit: http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/cfb/ ... i4ipi-M4pQ

I'm guessing his pro-day had something to do with it, he posted some pretty solid numbers last week and apparently looked good in drills. 29 teams were present too, he's the sort that looks the part of a 4th round pick in previous drafts but the strength in depth of this one should see him go later.

Not blessed with great speed but he's got the gears and agility to get good separation.

In terms of the receiving/returner prospects I still think Lockett and Agholor are out there in front and at least one of them will be there at #63, but there's enough guys going later who may allow us to go elsewhere with our 2nd rounder.