Arik Armstead

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Just declared for the draft.

6'8 290 pound beast of a DL. Any of you duck fans, or draftniks that pay more attention than I do have an opinion on if he would be a fit on the Hawks DL?

JSeahawks

Reaction score
When healthy he's a monster. Had a career high 9 tackles against ohio state last night. Unfortunately he's one of those guys who always seems to be knicked up with something or other. Most duck fans think hes our 2nd best DE behind defforsst buckner. Supposedly he got a 1st round grade from the draft evaluation, and I think he has 1st round athleticism, but I don't think he's consistently a first round player. I'd gladly take him in the hawks though after the 1st round just off of his potential. He was a member of the ducks basketball team too as a freshman, which shows you what kind of an athlete he is.

He was actually the #1 overall rated recruit in the country at one point as an offensive tackle but he wanted to play defense where he was lower rated.

jhern87

Reaction score
JSeahawks":6twgfg5a said:
When healthy he's a monster. Had a career high 9 tackles against ohio state last night. Unfortunately he's one of those guys who always seems to be knicked up with something or other. Most duck fans think hes our 2nd best DE behind defforsst buckner. Supposedly he got a 1st round grade from the draft evaluation, and I think he has 1st round athleticism, but I don't think he's consistently a first round player. I'd gladly take him in the hawks though after the 1st round just off of his potential. He was a member of the ducks basketball team too as a freshman, which shows you what kind of an athlete he is.

He was actually the #1 overall rated recruit in the country at one point as an offensive tackle but he wanted to play defense where he was lower rated.

I've heard journalists that cover prep athletes say that Armstead was the BEST LT they ever saw coming out of high school.. I know he's played on the defensive side of the ball the last 3 years but you have to wonder how good he could be if he was moved to offense. IMO he's a 3rd round defensive talent but could be a steal if he's moved to the offensive line.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He 295 with no fat, he could easily be 315 and a dominat tackle. But who knows if he can be convinced of that. He loves playing DL. If he has a dominant inside DL next to him, he will be a stud though.

OP
OP
Hawkfan77

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Great stuff, thanks. I'm thinking he would look nice in a rotation on the Hawks next year.

Yeah Greg Biggins, from scout.com said Amsted was the best LT HS prospect he's ever seen but Amsted wanted to play defense and Oregon said they would let play there.

jhern87

Reaction score
I understand he "wants" to play D-Line but you're no longer playing for an organization that you chose to join. If an employer wants you in a different position, you do it. Needless to say, I have no idea about his desire to play O-line but if I'm an NFL team I really try and persuade him to give it a shot.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
jhern87":3o7h43vl said:
I understand he "wants" to play D-Line but you're no longer playing for an organization that you chose to join. If an employer wants you in a different position, you do it. Needless to say, I have no idea about his desire to play O-line but if I'm an NFL team I really try and persuade him to give it a shot.

That's not how it works at all at the NFL level.

A team isn't going to burn a draft pick on a guy who won't comply with that kind of switch. The cost of throwing it away in order to force a rookie's hand is prohibitive.

And they certainly aren't going to take up a roster spot on a guy who isn't going to do that either.

jhern87

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":tgqru88t said:
jhern87":tgqru88t said:

A team isn't going to burn a draft pick on a guy who won't comply with that kind of switch. The cost of throwing it away in order to force a rookie's hand is prohibitive.

And they certainly aren't going to take up a roster spot on a guy who isn't going to do that either.

That's why you consult with the player before drafting him.. You tell him if he's willing to switch over, you're willing to draft him higher, which results in more money for him. That's how it works at the NFL level.

OP
OP
Hawkfan77

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
jhern87":m3lr48hu said:
Attyla the Hawk":m3lr48hu said:
jhern87":m3lr48hu said:

That's why you consult with the player before drafting him.. You tell him if he's willing to switch over, you're willing to draft him higher, which results in more money for him. That's how it works at the NFL level.
I'm sorry but no team is going to use a high pick/1st rounder on a DL who played 0 snaps on offense and try to switch him positions based on what he looked like in HS. Armsted was an absolute beast at LT in HS against HS players 3 years ago...he's a DL now and that's how he's going to be drafted. The only way we ever see him on the OL is if he completely washed out as a DL and some team signs him as OL depth to see if there's anything there.

jhern87

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3somby12 said:
jhern87":3somby12 said:
Attyla the Hawk":3somby12 said:
jhern87":3somby12 said:

I'm sorry but no team is going to use a high pick/1st rounder on a DL who played 0 snaps on offense and try to switch him positions based on what he looked like in HS. Armsted was an absolute beast at LT in HS against HS players 3 years ago...he's a DL now and that's how he's going to be drafted. The only way we ever see him on the OL is if he completely washed out as a DL and some team signs him as OL depth to see if there's anything there.

Well you're assuming that a team would have to draft him in the first round.. I've seen his grade that high on certain sites but honestly, I'd be surprised if he's anywhere near the first round. Personally I think he'll go in the 3rd round, possibly late 2nd. If he tests well compared to other OT's and doesn't dismiss playing OL, I don't think it's crazy to think a team would take him somewhere in the 2nd round.

SackofSamuel

Reaction score
What he wants, and what NFL teams say are two completely different things. Hopefully, Hawks say no.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
He has the right body type that the Seahawks would want, but I don't see the type of motor they like in a player. He is strong but not sudden with any of his movements. I would take him in the second round.

two dog

Reaction score
Such a move is in line with current thinking by many teams. That the best
athletes are playing defense so makes a good case for conversion.
Certainly worked for Sweezy.