Whats our greatest need ?

Chawker

Reaction score
I usually don't start talking about this until the season is over. Retirements, free agencies and trades all come into play here. Who's getting up there in age, (Mebane) the only player left over from the Holmgrin eara. (Miller) How many more seasons does he have left?
I have more questions then answer at this point, only 2 more weeks until we're ready for the off season shuffle. Cheers

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
How about making this into a poll?

Wide receiver gets my vote. We needed one before P-Rich went down, we need one even more now. A nice big go-to guy should be the goal, but with Richardson down I wouldn't be surprised if we also went after someone of similar ilk, even if he wasn't getting the catches, he was creating them.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Offense. Offense. Offense.

We have our core defensive guys locked up and can load up on nice complimentary players in the back half of the draft (which we have continually proven to do). We are, however, sorely lacking difference makers on the offensive side of the ball.

I know most folks are very unhappy with the OL, but to me it starts with a lack of perimeter weapons. Our OL is highly stressed in the passing game because we simply lack weapons that scare opposing teams. The loss of P-Rich is huge IMO, as he was the only guy who really scared a defense. Luke Willson has the tools but has been as inconsistent as can be. However, when Willson is on, we have seen how big of a gamechanger that is. So for me, my ideal draft goes as follows:

R1: TE Maxx Williams - Miller replacement and would be a stalwart while Willson is the wild card/receiving TE. I think RW is in dire need of a reliable big body who can move the chains. He won't provide the same blocking as Miller, but will make up for it with better receiving ability.

R2: WR Phillip Dorsett: Explosive, explosive, explosive. He's a very highly competitive dude, which we know is of paramount importance to Seattle. He's been getting great reviews at the Senior Bowl (so far), and after the combine, I expect him to be fully in play in R2. His track speed shows up on tape and his route running ability is severely underrated. He definitely lacks size, but with that type of speed + RW's scrambling ability, I think he fits like a glove.

R3: OL. I'm looking for an unpolished but highly athletic OL who has some versatility. Easier said than done, but I'm much more inclined to wait on an athletic project in R3, than I am (inevitably) overdrafting an OL at the end of R1. In fact, the recent history of R1 OL has been pretty bad. I don't consider OL a "safe pick" by any means, hence my yearning to wait for a project with the requisite tools.

R4: CB/WR Tony Lippett: Personally, I'd love to get this guy and try to make him a full time CB. Excluding intelligence (which I don't know either way), he has a lot of the same size/athletic qualities as Sherman. NO, I'M NOT SAYING HE'S RICHARD SHERMAN. But, his experience on offense + his fluidity as an athlete = an extremely enticing CB project, that has already shown he can play the position.

I'm not going passed that, as the latter rounds are futile to guess/predict. That said, I'd absolutely love this type of draft. I think we owe it to RW to provide him with a serious safety net (Williams) and an explosive WR (Dorsett). Lippett is a personal favorite of mine.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
1. Wide receiver: It's becoming noticeable. Russell is improving on the timing routes with his receivers. The game against the Cardinals and Panthers stand out. When he's trusting his guys to make the catch and be open on routes, he's incredibly dangerous, but if the talent isn't in the receiving corp or more drops that turn into interceptions, it's hurts his confidence and willingness to make tight throws.

Personally, I think a big WR that can shield himself in traffic and has the athleticism to make catches away from his body is huge. I've got my eye on Jaelen Strong out of Arizona State. I've only seen one game of his last season (which wasn't great), but his 2013 games I watched he looked like a 1st rounder.

2. Offensive Guard/Tackle: I don't expect Carpenter to be re-sign, so that would mean Bailey gets 1st team reps. Last season, they spent a 2nd rd pick on Britt to challenge Bowie at right tackle. If they view Bailey in the same light as they did Bowie, they should want to add some talent there. Even better would be a guard who can play a tackle position.

3. Tight end: Similar to adding a receiver, they need to continue adding weapons to help out Russell as well as help the running game. Willson is slowly stepping up his game, but the polish isn't there yet. Zach Miller's been slowing down throughout his career, but can still play the Y position for another year as they groom a rookie tight end to take over the position. I'd love Maxx Williams, even in the 1st rd, but I'm also a fan of Clive Walford out of Miami who is athletic enough to shake defenders in the open field and make leaping grabs as well as the strength to run block.

4. Defensive Tackle: Tony McDainel is steady and has another year on contracct, but is pretty average. I hope they re-sign Kevin Williams to another year. Is Jordan Hill a candidate to start at 3-tech? Who knows. Still, they could use some youth there. Our run D is hanging by a thread, as is. There's a drop off of talent after the first 3 round, so if they want improvement they're going to have to draft one early.

5. Defensive End: O'brien Schofield hasn't had much impact over the year, though he's getting better. Still, the talent at DE is deep. I expect Irvin to take another step in his development and make a huge impact rushing the passer next season, but they need another speed rusher who can supplement both Avril and Bruce. Cassius March should help but If he's playing more at 275 pounds by next year, he could be more a nickle DT pass rusher or strong defensive end.

That said, if there's a perfect fit at the end of the first round, no matter the position listed above, go get him. We are not a team that has such a huge need that one stands out over the other (except probably wide receiver).

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I would say offensive line and WR. I don't really care in what order just draft the best player on the board at both of those positions. I would say use the 1st on a defensive stud, and then stock up on depth at OT and WR.

Chawks1

Reaction score
After the NFCCG the Obvious #1 need is a guy like Leon Washington that can be a PR/KR guy. If he plays WR like Tate did then we can make up for Richardson sitting most/all next year and cut bryan Walters as he brings nothing.

I don't believe we wil choose this type guy in the first round but this is a Priority.

endzorn

Reaction score
I'm not going to say its a need, but I'd love to see us draft a big threat at TE. Teams like to bring an extra defender in the box to address Lynch, but 2 back, 2 TE and 1 WR sets would be a first down nightmare for defenses. When Coleman comes back we have a legit threat as a receiving FB and if we could pair Willson as our inline TE with a serious receiving target as a 2nd TE we could show run formation and either pound the rock or run play-action against a base defense with five legit targets.

IMO I'd like to see us find a TE with soft hands who can threaten the seam. I love Miller, but I think he might become a casualty this offseason and Willson will take over duties as the in-line blocker/safety valve.

randomation

Reaction score
Line is the biggest issue; but I would have trouble passing on someone like MG3 to backup lynch for another year before retirement.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
My ideal off season includes signing Larry Fitz, drafting a WR high and spending every other pick on OL and DL other than, of course, a 5th round CB.