2015 Drafting of player X

Chawker

Reaction score
Player X is our first player selected in this years draft. Who is he? Well, I can tell you this.... he's not going to be a big WR.
After signing RW to a new contract the Seattle Seahawks need to be more froogle with there spending after his contract is signed. The Seahawks also wish to resign Byron Maxwell CB, which is smart money.
Malcolm Smith is a goner after his MVP preformance in superbowl 48. Yah, that hurts me to say it. (free agent)
LIST OF OUR FA's
James Carpenter OL
Kenvin Williams DL
Jeron Johnson S
Anthony McCoy TE
Travaris Jackson QB
Byron Maxwell CB
Malcolm Smith LB
O'Brien Schofield DE
Player X may be a second round selection & he will have to be a player who will warrant a low cost over his career, which logic dictates rules out a player of a skilled position. My money is on a OL or DL with our first selection. (Think about this)
I was looking at draftek's big board, and two plays came into clear focus.
1. Cameron Erving OL 6' 5" 305 Florida st.
2. Carl Davis DL Iowa 6 5 315

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Carl Davis 6 5 315 DE/DT Iowa practiced with Brandon Scherff the top ranked offensive right tackle in this draft. The Seahawks will use him much like Red Bryant. cheers

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Nice thoughts.

I think if anything, saying we'll go any direction with any certainty is precisely what we won't do. Seattle has clearly colored outside the 'needs' line with the 2013 and 2014 drafts.

The one thing that Seattle has seemed to covet since getting their roster right (2012), has been to look for impact players early. Whether it's difference makers on offense, or pass rushers on defense. Players with special quality at high impact positions.

Seattle's OL has been a perceived need since -- well since 2010. It's never gone away and nationally and locally, it's been seen as our primary need every single year. And yet Seattle has taken a much more conservative approach. They've still targeted OL with their first pick, but the drafts haven't fallen that way for them and they've not considered it a need worthy of moving up to ensure they address it.

I actually agree, that Erving is probably one of the 4-5 guys on our list of prospects to target with our first pick. And depending on how many of those players are still available by the time our pick arrives -- will likely determine whether we move back as has been our design.

Davis isn't going in the first. He may go in the 50-75 range. But I kind of doubt that as well. Ultimately, Davis isn't a difference maker. Seattle understands that you may only have around 10 first picks on your roster at any given time. So you can't be using first picks on players that don't provide maximum effect on wins/losses.

I wouldn't preclude Seattle from getting a big WR. We don't know how the draft will shake out. A small handful of the players in the 16-32 range in most mocks will be available to Seattle at 32. If it's not a great RB, then some other talents will drop. There will be a run on a position or two in this draft. Like there is in every draft. Seattle is well positioned to select from players that fall by circumstance as a result.

It could be a big WR. It could be an OL. It probably isn't a DL -- and if it were I'm not convinced it'd be Davis. He isn't a great run stuffer. Nor is he a great pass rusher. He's a good DL, but I don't see great. Seems like the delta between him or a 3rd round development guy would be small. The only reason to take a DL in the first or second, would be if we needed a day 1 starter. I don't see that kind of need. Which means the relative grade for a guy like Davis compared to what we have on the roster is going to be modest. Maybe even a downgrade.

I think it's vital to keep a close eye on methodology here. Seattle definitely has a system. One of the clear determinants to who we project early, is grading for our system. Both fit and versus who we have.

Given that, I can't see us precluding a big WR, since we don't have one currently, and Seattle has always been searching for someone to fill that role. So it's still out there. If the right guy presents. And that's the thing -- we on the outside can't clearly see that because so much of 'the right fit' is determined in the interview room which we have zero ability to gauge.

I agree with you on Erving. Mainly because I think his athletic background fits the Cable ideal. Seattle also admittedly covets players who are versatile. I'm not sure you can demonstrate versatility at a more elite level than Erving has this year. I would imagine if he does well in the interview room, then Erving would really be attractive fitwise for us.

Additionally, I agree, Seattle is going to have strong positional need on the OL. I don't expect Carpenter to resign with us. If he does, that's bonus. We have guys to elevate, but our depth in that case is going to be absolute zero. We are carrying guys off the street who are called on to start currently. Even if we get a 'depth' player in the draft -- the reality is he's going to probably start half a season. Erving is versatile enough that he could start 12+ games even if he's not a starter on opening day.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I believe I have your thoughts understood in which case I've got a different opinion.

The Seahawks need better receivers around Russell, big time. It makes sense to me that if they are going to spend the salary cap elsewhere than they have to draft receivers early to keep the group competitive.

Drafting a WR in the first round would give them a Day 1 contributor (where mid round players may not be), but they would also have a 5th year club option. And who knows what they salary cap (or offense) will be like at that point.

If that player leaves in FA, then they at least got a weapon around it's $20+ million dollar QB for a good chunk of time. To me, that's a better alternative than mid-rd receivers that may not amount to much.

McGruff

Reaction score
I haven't done a lot of research yet, but months ago I had a dream that we drafted La'el Collins. He's currently projected top 15-20, but he's not a smooth tackle and is often proejected at Guard so I can see a lot of teams dropping him.

However, he looks like the kind of player Cable would throw out at LT. He's an absolute monster as a run blocker, and is awkwardly efficient as a pass blocker.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3tzwdnny said:
I believe I have your thoughts understood in which case I've got a different opinion.

The Seahawks need better receivers around Russell, big time. It makes sense to me that if they are going to spend the salary cap elsewhere than they have to draft receivers early to keep the group competitive.

Drafting a WR in the first round would give them a Day 1 contributor (where mid round players may not be), but they would also have a 5th year club option. And who knows what they salary cap (or offense) will be like at that point.

If that player leaves in FA, then they at least got a weapon around it's $20+ million dollar QB for a good chunk of time. To me, that's a better alternative than mid-rd receivers that may not amount to much.

I think we have the same opinion. Seattle does need a difference maker wideout. One that will force defenses to cheat his way and one that can effectively convert 3rd and medium/long.

OL is still a high need in my estimation but not necessarily at R1. Seattle can either get aggressive for a playmaker if they need to, or just let the draft fall their way. They aren't locked into having to do one or the other.

I agree though, I'd like them to aggressively address the playmaker issue. But that's mainly because as a fan, I'm not as appreciative of development projects on draft day. I'm greedy and I want to fawn over day one potential. Not wait a couple years to get a gritty 'aight' receiver.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I understand what you guys are talking about, and I agree with you, we need another big WR. I'm just saying it makes more scents to get him in round two, (money wise). In round two we could pick up a Tony Lippet or Deontay Greenberry, it takes time to develop them into star players, No WR going to put up a 100 yard game in week 1. it's economics, besides we'll more then likly trade out of round 1. You might not like this, but its smart money. Don't worry I have faith in JS & PC.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Obviously you'd have to do a deep dig into the guy, but if Marcus Peters is there at 31/32 I'd have to really consider it.

He is so good, a top 10 talent in most drafts and IMO a better actual cb than Patrick Peterson was coming out.

BPA, and as far as I know he isn't a criminal who risks suspension; and the LOB would keep him in line. He's also got that Marshawn connection , and we need dudes cut from that cloth.

I also like Funchess as a moveable mismatch.