Do we go CB in the high rounds?

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
If Maxwell goes, Lane has injury issues and it looks more and more like Simon isnt the answer, does this necessitate we actually look at CB higher than we might have originally thought.

Are there any value DBs to be had at 31 or 62?

CPHawk

Reaction score
Draft Ifo in the 4th. You get a top 20 talent at a deal, because he tore his acl on a fluke play in practice.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I've been saying this a while, though my thinking had been Byron leaving and Simon's inability to remain healthy. However, the way Simon's played down the stretch, we might need a guy to come in and play on the outside from day one. Really disappointing to see Simon drop off so noticeably, tough for him in the slot but even his lacking outside play potentially creates a bit of a hole.

Quinton Rollins is a guy I've mentioned a bit, though I think he had an impressive showing at the senior bowl and his stock's rising. Don't like the idea of investing a high pick in a cornerback, not only because we're really good at getting value at that position, but we have to start investing in the offense.

Tony Lippett's a WR similar to Sherman at Stanford, he played some cornerback too and looked like he had some nice potential. Rangy guy with similar athleticism, could conceivably fall to the third day of the draft.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I doubt they do it with their draft history. I suspect a 4th or later only based on gut. I would like to see DL and WR an early focus

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
They've already got a lot of money tied up in the secondary. I think their feeling is they can find talent in the later rounds.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
CB is arguably the team's biggest need. I don't think we can afford Maxwell, but even if we could, I don't trust Simon's health or head. Sherman, Lane, Thomas, and Chancellor will likely be coming off surgeries.

I think we need a Year-1 starter at CB. This might be a year to double dip. Depending on FA, I think the team should take one high (first three rounds) and a later developmental prospect as well.

kearly

Reaction score
I am fine with Sherman not shadowing, but I wonder if Seattle might be forced to have Simon shadow players to avoid matchup issues.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'm not willing to pull the plug on Simon.

First, it takes some time for our project CBs to emerge. It took Maxwell significant time to become a quality #2.

Second, while it's fresh in our minds -- the fact is the matchup between Edelman/Amendola versus Simon is going to be a tough one for us. Simon is a bigger player and not unlike Browner -- is going to have difficulty in matchups with quicker/shiftier wideouts. Maxwell and Lane are the best equipped to handle those matchups and injury really highlighted that liability.

Perhaps we go for a smaller/slot kind of CB. But Simon is more physically capable of matching up with the kinds of wideouts we typically see in the NFC and in the NFCW in particular.

It's easy to feel like we should throw the baby out with the bathwater here. But if I'm being honest about the situation, it was just bad luck that we ended up losing Lane in a game where the opponent could feature two quality slot type receivers.

Simon should improve with another year and if he gains confidence/swagger. I'm not inclined to pull the trigger on washing him out just yet. If we lose Maxwell, then other than Pinkins, we don't have another lengthy CB on the roster to match up with the kinds of receivers we typically will face.

Sometimes, you have to tip your cap to an opponent who game plans against your strength. The Pats' quick passing attack to smaller/quicker receivers neutralized our secondary advantage in size/length and our pass rush simultaneously. We didn't have the personnel to match up with that effectively.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I'd be very happy with taking more than 1 CB in this draft. I too think we need a player that has the ability to start day 1 which means investing a high pick.

But I will say this, Simon showed flashes of being able to play in this league. We should remember that this was his first year of playing and he's missed a lot of practice time. Now I understand his injury history, but I still think Simon will be a huge asset to this team.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
CrimsonWazzu":2yy1t35y said:
Nick Marshall.

Just wait for it. He fits the mold.
Wow great find. Thanks, this kid sounds like an athlete and with the right coaching...