Possbile draft strategy

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Without predicting specific players, Davis Hsu posted a projected roster including draft picks on Twitter. He has Seattle losing Miller, Carpenter, and Jackson on offense and Johnson, Smith, Schofield, Williams, and Dobbs on defense but re-signing Maxwell & Kearse, extending Wilson and Wagner, and picking up Jordan Cameron. He predicts Seattle's draft as follows:

1st Round: Wide Receiver
2nd Round: Defensive End
3rd Round: Defensive Tackle
4th Round: Tight End
4th Round: Offensive Line
5th Round: Wide Receiver
5th Round: Safety
5th Round: Linebacker
5th Round: Defensive Line

Not sure what he thinks will happen with our 6th & 7th round picks.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":ux32ifzg said:
So, he thinks that we are only receiving a fifth round selection for Tate?

That's the consensus. Over The Cap has a nice breakdown on it, but they rarely give out the 3rd rd comp picks and typically for larger deals (>$8m/yr type of deals).

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":jzvaia7f said:
CurryStopstheRuns":jzvaia7f said:

That's the consensus. Over The Cap has a nice breakdown on it, but they rarely give out the 3rd rd comp picks and typically for larger deals (>$8m/yr type of deals).
I've seen a 4th for Tate basically everywhere that's projecting compensatory picks

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":3ckvmtfo said:
EverydayImRusselin":3ckvmtfo said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3ckvmtfo said:

I've seen a 4th for Tate basically everywhere that's projecting compensatory picks

Oops I misread the original as 4th not 5th. Over the cap has their comp pick breakdown and they show Tate as the final episode 4th rd comp pick with Browner as the first 5th rd pick.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I think we need to move away from picking players based on position, which seems to get us in trouble, and instead pick the best available player, unless they play a position that we feel is adequately filled.

What I mean is if there is a stud CB or OT or DT or RB available that the team believes has more potential to be great than a WR prospect, then we should take the better player first. They should not try to focus on one player at one position of need like they did in the last draft.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SeatownJay":25zsk13t said:
Without predicting specific players, Davis Hsu posted a projected roster including draft picks on Twitter. He has Seattle losing Miller, Carpenter, and Jackson on offense and Johnson, Smith, Schofield, Williams, and Dobbs on defense but re-signing Maxwell & Kearse, extending Wilson and Wagner, and picking up Jordan Cameron. He predicts Seattle's draft as follows:

1st Round: Wide Receiver
2nd Round: Defensive End
3rd Round: Defensive Tackle
4th Round: Tight End
4th Round: Offensive Line
5th Round: Wide Receiver
5th Round: Safety
5th Round: Linebacker
5th Round: Defensive Line

Not sure what he thinks will happen with our 6th & 7th round picks.

I was looking at a MOCK today that had us taking Sammie Coates from Auburn. He is 6-2 200 lbs

In this he catches a lot of deep balls but also has some screen type plays...felt like I was watching our offense

[youtube]jjNlBSYljN4[/youtube]

jimbojones31

Reaction score
I'm also high on Sammie Coates. Just a few of the reasons are:

- plays in a low volume offence, he is typically relying on 4 or 5 targets a game, as he would have to in Seattle
- elite deep threat - 4.4 40 and 20+ YPC, he's basically an "uber Ricardo Lockette"
- the play at 3.31 in the above video is the most Seahawky play I've seen so far this year
- really physical and seems to enjoy blocking
- makes contested catches really well

On the downside he's got an undeveloped route tree, isn't that crisp at getting into his breaks and whilst his hands are generally good he sometimes looks like he makes the catch look harder than it is.

I'd love him at 31, but I'm not sure what you'd get in year 1. His physical tools are off the charts, but he looks like a classic "breakout in year 2" type player. In an ideal scenario (i.e. dream world) you'd bring in a vet (Fitzgerald anyone?) and let them teach him the finer points of the position. If you could do that you could have a top 5 WR by year 3. Rosterbation I know!