Trading our 1st Pick

Northhawk

Reaction score
Carroll likes guys who feel they have something to prove. That's usually not a quality 1st rounder possess.

I think they'll either trade ours for more picks or, less likely but possible, a player from another NFL team. However, we have more needs than in previous years so they may hold on to it and take someone off the board early.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
We have enough picks, unlike last year. I hope we use the first rounder this time. For one, it might be important to secure a fourth year on a rookie deal in case we encounter salary cap issues three years down the road. They should also seek to take the best player they can get, regardless of position, rather than locking onto one player at a particular position like they did with Paul Richardson.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2if1ywex said:
We have enough picks, unlike last year. I hope we use the first rounder this time. For one, it might be important to secure a fourth year on a rookie deal in case we encounter salary cap issues three years down the road. They should also seek to take the best player they can get, regardless of position, rather than locking onto one player at a particular position like they did with Paul Richardson.

Agreed.

Seattle has gone 2 years now, without adding a real core talent via the draft. That's a drought that can really cripple the win forever model. Not only has depth been difficult to acquire. But we are left having to keep a lot of players on second deals, because we don't have quality and cheap rookie replacements to ascend.

If we have a 3 year hole in the draft as it pertains to talent infusion -- that will severely hurt this club in 2016/17.

While I'm not closing the door on the guys we did get -- there aren't any Chancellors/Shermans/Wagners/Wilsons anywhere to be found in the last 2 drafts. At least guys who were at the same stage of development and quality as those guys. We need to get some talent that will be emerging by 2016. That year is going to see a lot of starting talent walking out the door. We need the next version of some of those players.

This is a really crucial draft for Seattle. If they whiff on it, then the end of this championship window starts to come into focus for us.

randomation

Reaction score
I would actually prefer to use some of the extra picks and move up and grab either Gordon or DGB.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I could see us drafting CB if the right guy came to us. It's a need.

Other than that, we're most likely in BPA mode. We need OL, TE, WR, and CB, as well as DL depth.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
We've probably had the least amount of draft capital the past two years. In 2013, we had a ton of picks, but half of them were 6/7 rdrs, and although JS has had some late rnd success, I'm not going to kill him for missing on some late rnd guys especially since we didn't have as many roster spots to fill as we had picks.

2013 hits: Hill, Willson, UDFA Bailey. ?: CMike, Simon. Not a great draft, but not a franchise killer since we had most of our roster returning from the year before and it was going to be tough for guys to make the roster.
2014 hits: Britt ?: PRich, KPL, Norwood, Marsh. I've liked what I've seen from KPL, and PRich was improving, I fully expect a few of those guys will step up in 2015 like Hill did this year.

Unfortunately, I don't see many high end hits, but quite a few core guys that are nice but probably replaceable when their contracts come up.

As for this year, I expect them to keep the first. We have some depth to fill, and have way more draft capital than the last two years to fill it. (8/9 picks in the first 5 rnds is huge).

ivotuk

Reaction score
The BIG thing about a first round pick is the extra year that a team gets to keep a player if they so choose. That makes the 1st round pick under the current CBA much more important than it used to be.

If you pick a real talent in the 1st round, you can keep him for an extra year without breaking the bank, which as we all k now helps a team keep players. So imaho, a 1st round pick is almost worth 2 players.

If we do trade it, I hope John makes that point an emphasis. The only reason I would want to trade this years 1st is if we can get a poor teams 2016 1st rounder along with this years 2nd rounder and a 6th. There's just too much value in the 1st round this year and I don't want to miss out.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
I disagree. This team is in a win-now mode. We don't need to worry about a guy's contract of year 2019...Winning it all next season is more important, because we are ready for it. What we need now are solid contributors at a decent $ (capwise).
If a team offers to move back into the first round and offers us a pick between 33 and 45, I would take the additional high second rounder. Last year we picked up Minnesota second (40) and fourth(108) in exchange for our 1st. A similar deal would be great.
My strategy would be to accumulate draft picks between round 2 and round 5. These are guys who can come in and be massive contributors in the second half of the season and give us good depth. We have plenty of guys to replace, who will be leaving because we can't afford to pay them.

netskier

Reaction score
I thought that Pete said that we are in Win Forever mode. Did I misunderstand that?

sutz

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2nov2crk said:
I disagree. This team is in a win-now mode. We don't need to worry about a guy's contract of year 2019...Winning it all next season is more important, because we are ready for it. What we need now are solid contributors at a decent $ (capwise).
If a team offers to move back into the first round and offers us a pick between 33 and 45, I would take the additional high second rounder. Last year we picked up Minnesota second (40) and fourth(108) in exchange for our 1st. A similar deal would be great.
My strategy would be to accumulate draft picks between round 2 and round 5. These are guys who can come in and be massive contributors in the second half of the season and give us good depth. We have plenty of guys to replace, who will be leaving because we can't afford to pay them.
I agree with this. And to the poster above, I certainly wouldn't write Richardson off just yet. He showed some great flashes and some consistency going down the stretch before the injury. He looks like a keeper, at least through his rookie deal.

Never say never, but I don't think they've ever moved up in the first round, have they? That can get really expensive very quickly. One thing we can be certain of, they prepare well for the draft and will have a strategy and several alternatives ready when the day comes.

We have players coming off injury that at least look like depth at most of the 'need' positions, so I don't think anybody in the FO is getting desperate yet. What I could see is some moving around later in the draft, both up and down, sniping for "Carroll" type players. I don't usually care much about the draft, but it could get interesting this year.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2xfub2sa said:
They are certainly not in a "win now" mode. They have a model and won't change from it because of some perceived window closing. The FO will do whats best for the franchise, both long term and short term. They won't sell out for whats for 2016.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Lot of talent in this draft. Even if we trade down I still think we still get a good player and more draft picks. We have always been " win now" since day one with Pete. I say we keep doing what we have been. I will not use injuries as an excuse but this year was ridiculous and we still should have won the SB. We are establishing a culture( in a perpetual sense) here, a bench mark if you like. Let's keep it going.

Seafan

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me to see it traded. They need a partner and that's going to be the decider. If the Hawks don't like any body at 31 and think they can trade down and still get somebody they like....

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Wouldn't rule it out.

Seattle has shown, that they don't have a formula they follow. Every approach to each draft is unique. We haven't seen them identify a player and move up yet. But we've not had 10+ picks in hand leading into a draft either

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1s0chp81 said:
joeseahawks":1s0chp81 said:
They are certainly not in a "win now" mode. They have a model and won't change from it because of some perceived window closing. The FO will do whats best for the franchise, both long term and short term. They won't sell out for whats for 2016.

Pretty much with Hawkfan77 on this one. Win Forever does not mean win now. This team has it's core signed through the next 3 or 4 years and that's the model they work on.

They also trust their scouting, and if they think a guy is worth a 1st round pick, they are going to want to be able to exercise that extra year. They didn't on Carpenter but that's on him.

I'll bet they use it on Bruce Irvin though.

jdemps

Reaction score
SF bay area, shaping young minds with a tinge of H
As much as it goes against the grain for this FO, I think this might be the year we move up. Once things shake out (free agency, BM decides his future, etc.) I think we could burn some late round picks after we pick up our compensatory picks to move up a few spots and grab either a WR1 or a stud DT if one we like is falling. My minds eye has Dallas as our target trade partner to get ahead of Denver and GB who may both grab DTs.