Compensatory Picks (from Overthecap)

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-compensatory-draft-picks-for-2015/[/urltargetblank]

Seattle
Lost (7): Golden Tate, Brandon Browner, Breno Giacomini, Clinton McDonald, Walter Thurmond (cannot be awarded more than four), Paul McQuistan (cannot be awarded more than four), Chris Maragos (cannot be awarded more than four)
Gained (0): None

SEA 4 Golden Tate $6,200,000
SEA 5....Brandon Browner....$5,050,000
SEA 5....Breno Giacomini....$4,500,000
SEA 6....Clinton McDonald....$3,000,000

The compensatory formula has always been a bit confusing for me, so I generally just wait until they are announced. This article does a pretty good job of explaining the system and how it works and what is to be expected this year.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
When I was doing my mock draft I looked at the exact same article. Seem to be the most reliable.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
dutchcoug":250ilx3h said:
When I was doing my mock draft I looked at the exact same article. Seem to be the most reliable.

The article actually helped me make some sense of the compensatory system, although it still seems a bit convoluted for my tastes, but it was definitely a good read, especially for those with a desire to understand it, but may not have an integral knowledge of how it works.

I saw your post when I posted this article and read your mock, and noticed that you had pretty much the same comp picks as overthecap, so I'm not surprised that's where you got your information as well.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Why would they use McDonald's contract instead of Thurmond? Thurmond got 3.5 for 1 year while McDonald averages 3.0 per year. Since they use the APY basis, why use a player with a lower APY?

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
From the way I read the article, there are ranges of salaries that account for which round. I don't think it really matters which one you count as they both give you the same pick.

I suppose it could be the order in which they were signed, but I am leaning towards the fact that they would both result in the same pick, thus not really mattering which name you put there.