Jay Ajayi, possible Seahawks target?

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I really like this guy. He has the kind of balance running that resembles Lynch. He's faster as well and is a very good power runner with good hands. I would be very happy to pick him up in the second round and spend our first on a receiver, pass rusher, or possibly Peters or Collins at DB.
I have a feeling he might start rising though but fortunately for us running backs tend to fall so I think he just might be there for us at pick 63.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552582

kjreid

Reaction score
If Lynch is not here next year and Gurley is gone before our 1st round pick, Ajayi would be a good pick up in the 2nd or 3rd. If we do have Lynch then I actually like Matt Jones somewhere in the 5th or 6th round, I think he can be another Lynch without missing a beat in a year.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
There's a reason one of the three prime laws of Carroll's philosophy is: "It's all about the ball".

Ajayi has serious ball security liabilities. Ultimately, as an electric rushing talent, he really pales compared to CMike. And Michael can't get on the field for a variety of issues, one of which still remains lack of ball security.

I don't see us spending anything other than a day 3 pick on a player for this role. And the reason for that, isn't that Ajayi should go in the 4th+. He's a legit day 2 back. It has more to do with two things:

1. Relative grade based on talent on the roster is going to be low
2. There will be significant talent available at other positions in R2/R3. Guys that will compete and possibly earn starting roles. Or at least significant depth/rotational roles. The delta in terms of upgrade is not going to favor Ajayi.

It's not that I don't think Seattle would pull the trigger on a running back. They easily could. But unless it's one of the big two, I kind of think we're waiting until the 5th round or later range. Depth at DL/OL/WR should again be good this year. These are positions where functional depth and competition is sorely needed. We already only have 6 of 9 OL positions secured for the next year. We likely will double dip for OL in this draft. And may need a good prospect who can be expected to fill in as a starter due to injury in year one.

DL depth is also at issue. We were left with picking up street FAs by the end of the year and playing them significant snap counts. Improving here, and if possible relieving us of some of the veteran depth contracts could be a high priority.

Ultimately, I don't see RB as a likely day 2 scenario. I can see day 1 -- but that would be more getting 2016's (or 2015's if Lynch situation sours) #1 back. Not a project level back. We still have one of those. And if he were to iron out his issues, he'd be a pretty good option.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Ajayi is a good player, can be explosive but yeah, he's a fumbler big time in fact it'll drive you crazy with the fumbles.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kjreid":8w60jt3f said:
If Lynch is not here next year and Gurley is gone before our 1st round pick, Ajayi would be a good pick up in the 2nd or 3rd. If we do have Lynch then I actually like Matt Jones somewhere in the 5th or 6th round, I think he can be another Lynch without missing a beat in a year.

I don't think it can be stated enough...there will never be another Marshawn Lynch.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Seanhawk":vta777e6 said:
kjreid":vta777e6 said:

I don't think it can be stated enough...there will never be another Marshawn Lynch.

Agreed with that. Funny how fans project our needs onto the NFL. RBs just don't go in the 1st round anymore. See the post above: so Gordon AND Gurley will be gone in the 1st round before our pick, when there hasn't been a RB picked in the 1st round since Trent Richarson...like 3-4 years ago ?

You're going to have 2 QBs at least, then half a dozen Tackles, at least 1 Guard, then 5-6 WRs, then another 3-4 CBs, another half a dozen DE's.....where exactly does that leave room for a RB with a torn ACL that probably won't contribute this year ?

MysterMatt

Reaction score
These guys may be good players, but please keep this in mind:

There is only ONE Marshawn Lynch. I know we love to make comparisons to better understand players, and that makes sense at times, but guys like Marshawn are unique.

No intent to derail the thread...just had to say this.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
As a BSU fan I have to say Ajayi really cleaned up his ball security this year. Last year he got benched because of his ball security but this year it seemed like much less of an issue. Having said that I think he will be a great RB in the nfl. I would rank him probably 4th or 5th overall in this RB class. I probably wouldnt take him until the 3rd though given our other needs.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":d3cr24hb said:
These guys may be good players, but please keep this in mind:

There is only ONE Marshawn Lynch. I know we love to make comparisons to better understand players, and that makes sense at times, but guys like Marshawn are unique.

No intent to derail the thread...just had to say this.

Agreed.

I hate how people like to compare one prospect to another. It's just stupid. It's never fair. And it also is a fast track to a kind of herd mentality that you can't survive without a player.

Lynch is unique. It's a fools errand to look for 'the next Lynch'. Just like looking for the next Wilson.

The goal is to maintain excellence as a running team. You don't have to have Lynch to do that. Seattle would be the top rushing team with the likes of a Murray, or a Le'veon Bell too. Equally punishing.

You need a great back that is comfortable being the best individual player they can be. Not the next Lynch. Marshawn's brand of running isn't the only effective way to operate this offense. I wouldn't even say it's the best way. But I would say, that it's a great way to do it. And there are definitely worse ways to do it. Certainly, I can't think of many bettter ways to do it in such an inspirational manner.

As a fan, I just love how he plays. I love rooting for him. Love that he represents this team. I love his style, more than I necessarily regard his irreplaceable impact on the running game. Put another great back in there and I'd expect the same kind of results on the field. But I don't expect I'll ever have the same kind of affinity for the next great back that I do for Lynch.

OP
OP
N

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Didn't mean to have a thread about wether Ajayi was lke Marshawn or not. I just like him as a running back and his balance while running reminded me of Lynch. Wasn't at all saying he was Lynch or needed to be. I can't recall a single player quite like him anyway but I do really like Ajayi in the late second round area and think he would be a good running back in our system and could be used in much the same way as Lynch.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
The moment Lynch is no longer a Seahawks is the moment our offense changes, probably pretty dramatically

Timmahawk

Reaction score
He bounces a lot of runs to the outside instead of taking the guaranteed yards up the middle. One of the highlight clips I saw was mostly all runs bounced out. Overall, I like him, but it will be interesting to see how he does making the transition to much greater competition in the NFL.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":dzysni0s said:
The moment Lynch is no longer a Seahawks is the moment our offense changes, probably pretty dramatically
Of that you can be certain. It's the reason why I hope that he doesn't dither around with the decision like Favre used to do because the team deserves a decent heads up if he does decide to retire. Though in my opinion I think he's likely to give it at least one more year.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
In my opinion we should be less concerned with "finding the next Lynch" and more concerned with finding the next unique running back that makes our offense explosive and unpredictable. Finding someone of a similar profile is like digging for gold. Will Michael be that guy? It seems doubtful but only time will tell.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":24hy4njz said:
In my opinion we should be less concerned with "finding the next Lynch" and more concerned with finding the next unique running back that makes our offense explosive and unpredictable. Finding someone of a similar profile is like digging for gold. Will Michael be that guy? It seems doubtful but only time will tell.

Agreed. All backs are unique.

There are however consistencies that I think we specifically do need.

1. Pass protection. Seattle, if they remain a predominantly 11 personnel type team require that the RB be able to pass block very well. Players that don't block well, haven't broken our lineup. And we're not a timing pattern/quick hitter type of passing team. So this has to be a strength.

1a. Ball security. It's all about the ball. Pete is every bit the stickler for this that Holmgren was. You can't be a fumbler and see the field.

2. Power back. Seattle's ZBS system is designed to more or less shield off defenders from the carrier. And when they can't shield defenders (i.e. lose the shoulder they are supposed to block), then they are supposed to ride out that defender and create a cutback lane. We aren't a man on man drive blocking team. It's more of a system that makes it difficult for defenders to get a clean shot on the ball carrier. A scat back type of runner like a Giovanni Bernard can't really succeed at this scheme. The power of the rushing attack is provided by the carrier. Not the blockers. Limiting the defense to arm tackles is the goal by design. The back needs to be powerful enough to power through and break those by himself.

3. Receiving skills. Seattle uses our RBs a lot in the passing game. All three of our backs are excellent receivers (Lynch/Turbin/Michael). I don't believe it's a coincidence. One could even add Coleman/Robinson to that.

In all, Seattle's scheme needs power backs that are well rounded. They don't have to be Lynch clones. There are plenty of players in the league not named Lynch that could excel here at a championship level.

This draft is interesting, in that you have a lot of unique ball carriers that provide some or all of these traits. Gurley undoubtedly fills all of these aspects at a high level. Gordon has less power, but enough to run through tackles, and the ability to cut and explode through cut back lanes. He doesn't really demonstrate at a high level, the ability to turn negative plays into neutral plays. The kinds where a sure 4 yard loss ends up a no gain type situation. But definitely could succeed here no question.

Ameer Abdullah is an interesting prospect for me. Smallish in stature, he has an amazing cut back ability as well. Has intriguing power and incredible acceleration. Has a knack for not getting hit squarely. Obviously he's not an alpha kind of choice based on his size. He is a smaller rusher that I could see having enough power to succeed in this scheme.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I think Josh Robinson out of Missouri provides more value than Ajayi. I do like Ajayi, but I think the draft capital for the type of player he is wont be worth it considering our other needs.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
He doesn't appear to have a very high ceiling. Reminds me of Carlos Hyde.

If we take a RB, it should be someone who is capable of developing into a Pro Bowler.

Gurley is the obvious choice if available.

Duke Johnson has rare explosiveness and vision. T.J. Yeldon has incredible athleticism.

Ajayi just isn't unique enough to draft in the first three rounds, knowing that it would likely come at the expense of Christine Michael. Running backs like him are a dime a dozen.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":1fwc34io said:

This is a very good point. Even if we got Gurley, and let's just say he's healthy next year( just for arguments sake) he's different. Gurley is unique, like Coleman and Gordan but will they be productive in the Nfl.