Sammie Coates biggest downside

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Body catches too much per scouting reports.
Is this knock on him enough to make him available to us as a second round pick #63? Would anybody else mind taking him at #31?

He is a dangerous receiver with great strength/speed combo. I think what gets undervalued is how quickly he brings in the ball and secures it in his bread basket then transitions as a runner with good strength and balance.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":11l226d7 said:
Is this knock on him enough to make him available to us as a second round pick #63? Would anybody else mind taking him at #31?

He is a dangerous receiver with great strength/speed combo. I think what gets undervalued is how quickly he brings in the ball and secures it in his bread basket then transitions as a runner with good strength and balance.

Not a fan of Coates at all. Way too many question marks. Maybe a third round pick.....but very questionable hands, along with suspect route running. In my book, he is a more expensive (and a bit more polished) Ricardo Lockette. Great straight line speed, with very little else. Will he develop into a more well-rounded player? Possibly. But there are 6 other receivers that I would take before Coates.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I love Coates!

One of the 4 players I hope they can get in the first.

justafan

Reaction score
One of hardest things to overlook for me is hands.He would only get so many opportunities in this offense the last thing this team can afford is drops.
Doesnt matter what his measurables are,

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He needs to be coached up on catching the ball, he's very athletic and the drops are just sloppy or rushed execution by him. He needs to focus upon just securing it better.

Interesting prospect, but frankly I suspect the FO possibly has another player they'd rather have, though I could see the team being very intrigued by Coates.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Spleenhawk2.0":18b9n6h1 said:
Russ Willstrong":18b9n6h1 said:

Not a fan of Coates at all. Way too many question marks. Maybe a third round pick.....but very questionable hands, along with suspect route running. In my book, he is a more expensive (and a bit more polished) Ricardo Lockette. Great straight line speed, with very little else. Will he develop into a more well-rounded player? Possibly. But there are 6 other receivers that I would take before Coates.

No way he lasts til the 3rd round. At most, early second round, IMO.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Did a quick comparison to some prospects from last year on SDB. With several that had questionable hands/drop rate concerns. I'll repost here for comparison

Using those figures and comparing them to drop rates in the NFL:

Rookie Drop rate – name – College drop rate

7.4% – Lee – 12.31%
6.9% – Benjamin – 9.68%
6.1% – Bryant – 12.5%
5.8% – Matthews – 7.69%
4.1% – Moncrief – 11.1%
3.3% – Evans – 4.29%
3.1% – Watkins – 4.49%
1.8% – Landry – 2.5%
1.5% – Beckham – 6.45%
1.5% – Cooks – 4.69%
1.2% – Robinson – 5.43%
0% – Richardson – 8.89%

I think the pattern is stupidly clear. Better QBs in the NFL lead to much better drop rates. In every single case (other than guys that didn’t catch passes at all), these rookies had much better drop rates in their rookie year.

I would call that myth thoroughly debunked. Drop rates should shrink by 30-50% upon reaching the pros.

Ultimately, I don't really view college drop rates as indicative of how they will do at the next level. The drop statistic is incredibly subjective. And further -- drop rates rise and fall drastically due to the limited number of targets in a season. Willson had a 10% drop rate according to Sportingcharts.com. Next year he could be well under 5%. And that could be attributed to just one less bad game.

But the reality is clear: Better QBs throw better passes. Those passes are easier to complete. There is no more clear indication of this, with the drop rates for good/quality QBs and in particular -- good, accurate NFL QBs.

I would expect that any receiver with suspect hands would look marvelous with Wilson throwing the ball. He is one of the more accurate passers in the NFL.

That said, I can see Coates being a Seahawk pick. Even at 31. He should be lights out at the combine. And if you recall, Pete mentioned specifically why he didn't pull the trigger on some of the other big WRs in the draft instead opting for Richardson citing that it's rare to find guys with size that can really run.

Obviously, I believe Bryant could have filled that billing last year. But it wasn't to be. Coates this year should easily fill that billing. And Seattle is notorious for taking some guy you thought might be a 50th to 75th overall type player on day one -- Coates is probably the single best candidate for that type of pick.

Doesn't mean that'll be the pick. But he's in every way similar to Irvin or Richardson in terms of "Damn really? Ok...." kind of pick that Seattle loves to make. His athleticism should tickle the SPARQy parts of Carroll's and Schneider's brains.