Breshad Perriman -- Seahawk dark horse pick?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
I'll tell you one guy that I'm really starting to become intrigued by ... is Breshad Perriman. A lot of people aren't talking about him yet, but I believe that they soon will be.

According to Gil Brandt, he is rapidly ascending many draft boards ...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-breshad-perriman-ascending-as-draft-prospect

Mike Mayock had this to say on Perriman ...
I put the Perriman tape on about three weeks ago and almost fell over. [inaudible] People tell me that he doesn't have good hands and boy do I disagree with that even though he's got drops than he should. So there's kind of a way to interpret that, a wide receiver that has too many drops should have bad hands, right? Well, I look at his hands and say he makes acrobatic catches, he makes high point catches, he makes contested catches, however every once in a while he drops an easy ball. But I think he's a natural hands catcher. I think he's got height and weight, I think he runs good routes...To me, he looks like a first round wide receiver. I need to see what he's gonna run this weekend. If he runs, a 4.5, 4.48, 4.51, people are going to be looking at him as a potential first round wide receiver and they should.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/ucf-knights/os-breshad-perriman-nfl-combine-post.html

While many people have their eyes firmly fixed on Dorial Green-Beckham, Perriman is a guy who (being from that "powerhouse" that is Central Florida) just might fly under the radar a bit. Personally, I hope that he doesn't ascend too quickly, as I see him as a potential target in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Here is NFL.com's breakdown of Perriman ...

Grade: 5.8

6'3" Height
214 LBS.

Strengths

Height, weight and speed numbers that every team covets. Quick accelerator off the snap and destroys the cushion, forcing cornerbacks into "turn-and-run" mode. More sudden than most big receivers. Able to break routes off sharply or go from stop to start instantly. Consistent separation at top of his route. Always gets over the top of cornerbacks on verticals. Varies route speed and has ability to body up and box out smaller cornerbacks downfield. Explosive leaper with timing and catch radius to make the difficult catches look easy. Shows off plus body control and ball tracking on deep ball. Able to gear up or down when needed and is a legitimate big-play threat on every snap. Athleticism and long speed for yards-after-catch production. Gives good effort as run blocker.

Weaknesses
Raw in his routes, relying on speed and athleticism over any precision. Rounds routes and is inconsistent at selling and finishing routes that don't involve him as primary target. Sits and waits on the throw rather than working back to it. Redirected in his routes more than expected for receiver his size. Disappointing hands that might always haunt him. Slow catch readiness, allowing too many throws to beat him up. Too much double catching and his focus drops over second half of the season were maddening to watch.

NFL Comparison
Kenny Britt

Bottom Line
Rare combination of size, top-end speed and suddenness that can be found in some of the best receivers in the game. His routes are sloppy and a work in progress, but his hands keep him out of the top tier of receivers. His drops will drive teams crazy, but his physical traits and ability to hit the big play should warrant early round consideration
Source:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/breshad-perriman?id=2552597

[youtube]QW0qBVVND-U[/youtube]

Thoughts?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Highlight film is impressive. Knock might be his quality of his opponents, playing for UCF and all

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Copying a couple posts on Perriman that I shared on SDB.

Drops can be kind of flukey. With the small number of opportunities, just one or two can balloon one’s drop rates significantly.

I prefer to look at how he goes about catching the ball in the first place. There are a few things that jump out at me watching him.

1. This dude gets open. Watching him, even on the throws that don’t go his way. He gets open like clockwork. Probably second only to Phillip Dorsett that I’ve seen thus far in this class. I’d put DGB third in this regard. Don’t discount this ability, because it really shows up a lot.

2. He shows the ability to control his body and get poor passes. Shows ability to catch balls low and behind on crossing routes, and hard passes led too far. These are tough catches. He demonstrates an above average ability to catch the ball with his hands.

3. Hands are probably average. Even on some of his catches, they can rattle around a bit before settling in. Not always though. He is aggressive in attacking the ball. I see a receiver who has better hands than Jermaine Kearse.

4. Doesn’t always work back to the underthrown ball. This is a pet peeve of mine. He is inconsistent in this regard. When he does slow up and high point the contested ball, he does so with authority and wins. Can see the ability to catch and rip the ball clean despite a defender having a hand on the ball at the same time.

Ultimately, I’m not as down on the drops as some. He doesn’t look awkward when catching the ball. It doesn’t eat him up. Even balls directed at him (Curl routes), he snatches cleanly with his hands.

I really do like his ability to get open though. And his ability to trust his hands, and throw them out there to get the ball. He shows good ability to catch on the move, without slowing or allowing defenders to close gaps. Displays a very good catch radius that is functional (i.e. he doesn’t just have long arms — but shows the ability to catch bad balls well away from his body).

He looks like a guy who flashes real potential. It seems to me that he’s coached well who is trying to find confidence in his hands. It appears that the passes he does have trouble with, he almost has too much time to second guess how to position his hands and he turns them wrong. When he has to stab at the ball because it’s errant — his hands look extremely natural and sure.

On curls/slants that are thrown properly to his numbers, he positions his hands nicely.

On some throws, particularly deep ones, he shows a couple instances where he gets caught between turning and catching like that, or letting the ball drop to his hands over the shoulder. And then looking like he’s all thumbs.

Overall, I don’t think his hands are as bad as advertised. And I can see the potential for improvement in that aspect based on how well he can catch poor throws when he has to make radical reactionary adjustments to the ball.

He shows quick hands. Able to snatch the ball suddenly from the air at the last second away from his body. In that regard, he’s actually pretty good at it. And it translates into better opportunities to catch the ball at the next level when coverage is tighter.

His route running is a bit inconsistent. Like just about every WR in college. But he does flash real quality/crisp route cuts.

Overall, I like him very much as a prospect. If we don't go WR in round 1, I hope he's on our radar and falls to round 2. His most impressive aspect to his game, much like Tre McBride, is that he gets open -- almost every single play. If his route running is questionable, then I am even more interested in him. Because if he gets open like that with poor routes -- he should be incredible at the next level if he masters that aspect of his craft.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love the guy. Keep in mind the dude throwing to him sucked. As bad as pretty much any QB UW trotted out this year, and that is saying something.

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Well, I'm glad to know that it's not just me who's seeing a lot of real attractive eye candy here. What makes me a bit giddy when I see his tape is the sheer power and athleticism. He is fighting through contact on a regular basis, shows excellent leaping ability, soft hands, and great concentration and adjustment to making tough catches. Those are all characteristics which translate to the next level. These sites like first-pick.com that have him pegged as a 4th-5th Round Pick? I don't know what in the world they are looking at ... because I'm seeing 1st Round talent here. I'm just hoping that too many don't get enamored by him because I'd love for the Hawks to have a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd Round.

Perriman caught 51 passes for 1,044 yards (he averaged 20.9 yards/catch) and 9 TD last year. If he generated those kind of numbers with a crappy QB throwing to him -- can you imagine what he could do with Russell Wilson at the helm? 8)

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
He reminds me a lot of this guy, albeit a slightly quicker, less polished version (particularly hands).

[youtube]DB4XY_V3TXE[/youtube]

I've come round to him a lot, was impressed with the NC State tape and as Scotte says, he's suffered from some bad QB play. Attyla's right, he's really good at getting open, and even if the routes themselves aren't crisp, he looks pretty smooth and does a good job of selling them. His numbers should have been even more impressive than they were.

One knock, or absence on his tape is jump ball catches. He uses his size well to extend and bring in high balls but without getting off the ground or timing his jumps. It'll be interesting to see his vert this week, I saw very little hops on tape.

I'm actually quite liking this WR draft. Clearly it's not as good as last year but it's still one of the better ones. At #31 and beyond there could be plenty of talent still on the board (Strong, Agholor, Funchess, Smith) though I really like some of the receivers who should be available in the 3-5 round range too (Tyler Lockett, DeAndre Smelter, Dezmin Lewis, Tre McBride).

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":2x4ghcvc said:
He reminds me a lot of this guy, albeit a slightly quicker, less polished version (particularly hands).

[youtube]DB4XY_V3TXE[/youtube]

I've come round to him a lot, was impressed with the NC State tape and as Scotte says, he's suffered from some bad QB play. Attyla's right, he's really good at getting open, and even if the routes themselves aren't crisp, he looks pretty smooth and does a good job of selling them. His numbers should have been even more impressive than they were.

One knock, or absence on his tape is jump ball catches. He uses his size well to extend and bring in high balls but without getting off the ground or timing his jumps. It'll be interesting to see his vert this week, I saw very little hops on tape.

I'm actually quite liking this WR draft. Clearly it's not as good as last year but it's still one of the better ones. At #31 and beyond there could be plenty of talent still on the board (Strong, Agholor, Funchess, Smith) though I really like some of the receivers who should be available in the 3-5 round range too (Tyler Lockett, DeAndre Smelter, Dezmin Lewis, Tre McBride).

After watching the highlight film, my first thought was Sam Perkins' jump shot. It worked very well but his feet only got an inch off the floor it seemed. Perriman's catches were like that. Great body control to contort and find the ball but his feet hardly leave the ground.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Perriman is pretty awesome. I think the knocks on him are exaggerated.

What are the major positives he brings to the table?

Size/Speed Combination
Great ability to separate and get open.

What are the Seahawks missing at WR?

Size/Speed
Ability to get open

To me, he is absolutely an option at 31. He produced despite poor QB play and still has room to grow. I love Kevin White, but I am not terribly sure there is that sizable of a difference between the 2. White is more consistent. Perriman is more athletic. They both share similar builds. Don't get me wrong, I prefer White, but Perriman is potentially coming at a much greater discount and IMO, has more physical upside. Shoot...IMO, he's almost a hybrid of Coates/White. He's kind of in between those 2 from an ability standpoint, which quite honestly, is right in the Seahawks wheelhouse of "voids on offense."

I could definitely get excited about Perriman at 31. The only way I'd be disappointed in that selection is if we passed up on a DE like Eli Harold. Other than that, I really am hard pressed to find someone who excites me more, based on current performance and long term potential.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":319mqn2x said:
Highlight film is impressive. Knock might be his quality of his opponents, playing for UCF and all
(Disclaimer: No, I'm not a UCF alum or fan... though, I've been starting to follow the team the last few years since I live just a few miles from the campus.)

You mean the NCAA Division I football program that went 12-1 in 2013 beating #8 Louisville and thrashing #6 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl? You mean the NCAA Division I football program that went 9-4 in 2014 (without Blake Bortles) with two respectable close losses to Penn St and NC State in games where they were battling to the end? (They got beat pretty good @ Missouri in week 2 after traveling to Dublin, Ireland to play Penn St., but that's major college football for ya.) You mean the NCAA Division I football program that has been called an awakened sleeping giant in one of the hotbeds of college football recruiting?

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/UCF ... 927908.php

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... ke-bortles

http://today.ucf.edu/football-ucf-10-final-ap-poll/

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... rida-state

UCF "and all" seems like a comment made in yesteryear. UCF is a respectable program that plays a full schedule of other respectable NCAA Div I programs. No teams schedule has Alabama scheduled as their opponent week after week. There will be a mix of opponents. Sometimes seemingly weaker opponents are no such thing. So, I don't understand why you would make such a flippant comment. If you didn't mean it that way, there are several other ways you could have worded it. :Dunno:

Ruminator

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3051vh5b said:
[youtube]QW0qBVVND-U[/youtube]

Thoughts?

The only knock on him is that he forgot to grab his crotch when making the touchdown at 0:59 and at 1:50. Sorry, can't have non-crotch-grabbing playmakers.

Hawks46

Reaction score
What's rare about this guy (from the highlights) is that for a guy his size, he's quick. Like Mayock said, he's not going to be super fast on the top end, but he's quick, and like folks have said...sudden. It's rare to see a big guy be quick like that, usually smaller athletes manage that.

Wilson will throw a contested ball to WRs that he trusts, I can see this kid complementing him really well when he figures out how to keep the routes going and work back to a QB that extends plays as much as Wilson.

Anyone know what kind of blocker he is, or was he never really asked to do that at UCF ?

The strange thing is that people have projected him from the 5th round all the way to the 15th pick. That's a huge spread. Is it that no one can get a handle on the kid or what's the deal ?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Would not mind considering him at 31. He's got a little Brandon Marshall in him, fitting considering both went to UCF.

titan3131

Reaction score
DISAGREE!!!!!!!!
Too many needs that can get great players in top 2 rounds.

we will trade out of the 1st.

and get more picks and a high 2nd.

we should get him in the 3rd / 4th rd.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
titan3131":13k65k44 said:
DISAGREE!!!!!!!!

He is being talked about as a late first/early second round pick. How are we going to get him in the 3rd/4th?

drrew

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":32geowxr said:
titan3131":32geowxr said:
DISAGREE!!!!!!!!

He is being talked about as a late first/early second round pick. How are we going to get him in the 3rd/4th?

Paul Allen has hired David Copperfield, David Blaine, and Criss Angel to sit at the Hawks draft table in Chicago.

ivotuk

Reaction score
He's likely going in the first. Mel Kiper has been talking him up for the last 2 weeks. I haven't seen anything on him but Kiper sure likes him. IIRC Kiper said he scouted the kid's dad in 1988 too. Could be wrong though

titan3131

Reaction score
When U had looked this guy up before people were projecting him in that range...

darn stupid talking heads.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":21a4ua65 said:
seahawkfreak":21a4ua65 said:
(Disclaimer: No, I'm not a UCF alum or fan... though, I've been starting to follow the team the last few years since I live just a few miles from the campus.)

You mean the NCAA Division I football program that went 12-1 in 2013 beating #8 Louisville and thrashing #6 Baylor in the Fiesta Bowl? You mean the NCAA Division I football program that went 9-4 in 2014 (without Blake Bortles) with two respectable close losses to Penn St and NC State in games where they were battling to the end? (They got beat pretty good @ Missouri in week 2 after traveling to Dublin, Ireland to play Penn St., but that's major college football for ya.) You mean the NCAA Division I football program that has been called an awakened sleeping giant in one of the hotbeds of college football recruiting?

http://www.ctpost.com/uconn/article/UCF ... 927908.php

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/201 ... ke-bortles

http://today.ucf.edu/football-ucf-10-final-ap-poll/

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... rida-state

UCF "and all" seems like a comment made in yesteryear. UCF is a respectable program that plays a full schedule of other respectable NCAA Div I programs. No teams schedule has Alabama scheduled as their opponent week after week. There will be a mix of opponents. Sometimes seemingly weaker opponents are no such thing. So, I don't understand why you would make such a flippant comment. If you didn't mean it that way, there are several other ways you could have worded it. :Dunno:
Sure but the teams you listed that are ranked are offensive powerhouses. I don't real care enough to do the research but I would question if he's gone against any top CBs. If so good for him. I just don't see it ,,playing at UCF. I do agree with you that the program itself is respectable.