Under the Radar Prospects

McGruff

Reaction score
I've been doing a lot of First-Picking, and have come across some 2nd round and later guys I really love for us. Curious to see others add to the list

RB - Duke Johnson and David Johnson. Duke is just a multi-dimensional stud. He's not a bruiser, but still is solid inside because he may be the slipperiest back in this draft. Teflon-jersey. He's also incredibly shifty and fast and has excellent hands. Where he really surprised me was in pass protection. Reminds me a lot of Maurice Morris. David is a notch below as a runner, but I could actually see him transitioning to WR. Best hands I've seen from any player on film this year. He is indecisive running the ball and is a "get in the way" blocker only. But as a receiver he is special.

WR - Phillip Dorsett and Breshard Perriman. Both are 2nd/3rd round guys (Not buying the 1st round hype on Perriman yet). Dorsett is simply electric. He is the definition of a "tilt the field" type player. Smaller, and perhaps too much like Richardson, but he simply shines when the ball is in his hands. He's also a shockingly good blocker on the outside. Perriman shows all the hands that made his dad a solid NFL receiver with a long career, but better athletic ability in every way.

DL - NT Gabe Wright and DT/DE Henry Anderson. Wirght is Mebane like in his ability to play off blocks and slice through double teams. The best thing is he never quits on a play. Anderson is long with the frame to play at 300+ pounds either outside at 5 or inside at 3. He shows imrpessive burst to the ball and absolutely engulfs when he tackles.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Also add Ereck Flowers. I know he's a late first trounder, but I can see Cable salivating over this kid even as a mauling LT.

This draft is very deep at RB, WR and DT. All areas where we could show need.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Watching more video. RB Mike Davis seems like a great fit for Seattle. He's is a downhill, north south runner who conistently falls forward. He doesn't show a ton of vision, and rarely improvises . . . he's doesn't cut back or bounce outside. But he shows great burst, is fearless between the tackles, and takes what he can get while plowing people backwards.

And he spins like Christine Michael.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I quite like the Davis/Michael comparison. Would probably be on board with Dorsett or Perriman too. Dezmin Lewis and DeAndre Smelter are well worth checking out, similarly Devante Davis at UNLV, who struggled with injuries this year but had a really nice 2013.

TCU's 6,7 350lb+ OT Tayo Fabuluje's one to watch. He's a freakin monster, though apparently looked awful at the Senior Bowl, consistently getting beat on 1v1 drills. However he was still carrying around 20lbs of bad weight that could make all the difference. Given how well he moves on tape at the listed weight, there could be a lot of upside if he can slim down.

cover-2

Reaction score
There really aren't any flying under the radar players this close to the draft. But a few mid to late round guys that I like are;

1. (DE/LB) Lyden Trail 6-6 262 lbs Norfolk St: Trail is a freak athlete for his size and is a player I could see the Seahawks drafting in the 2nd round based on his upside and versatility as a Leo and OLB.

2. (TE) EJ Bibbs 6-3 261 lbs Iowa St: Bibbs is a mid-round prospect who is similar to Colts TE Dwayne Allen. Bibbs is a natural at catching passes.He is physical when trying to get yards after the catch.

3. (DE) Max Valles 6-5 240 lbs Virginia: Valles is a devopmental prospect who could easily put on 15 lbs on his frame. He is raw as a pass rusher and has little if any experience rushing the QB with his hand in the ground, but his length and athletism is intriguing.

4. (RB/KR/SS) Karlos Williams 6-1 225 lbs Florida St: Williams was a 5-star recruit as a Safety coming out of high school and he played there his first two years at Florida St before being moved to RB. I could see the Seahawks moving him back to safety due to his size and speed and lack of depth at safety. Williams is also a special teams stud and would contribute day 1 as good special teams player.

5. (WR) Michael Bennett 6-2 202 lbs Georgia: Bennett is a late round prospect that is a consistent dependable slot WR. He seems to always stand out when I have watched Georgia games. He is a savvy player that would bring more size to the slot WR position for the Seahawks.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":1tdvfnlv said:
I quite like the Davis/Michael comparison. Would probably be on board with Dorsett or Perriman too. Dezmin Lewis and DeAndre Smelter are well worth checking out, similarly Devante Davis at UNLV, who struggled with injuries this year but had a really nice 2013.

TCU's 6,7 350lb+ OT Tayo Fabuluje's one to watch. He's a freakin monster, though apparently looked awful at the Senior Bowl, consistently getting beat on 1v1 drills. However he was still carrying around 20lbs of bad weight that could make all the difference. Given how well he moves on tape at the listed weight, there could be a lot of upside if he can slim down.

I got to say I agree with DeAndre Smelter. I know you've been a big fan for awhile and I see why.

I think he could have been this year's Cody Latimer if he didn't get hurt; a late riser in the process who gains more attention the closer we get to the draft, but with a torn ACL in December he pretty much gets left behind in all the draft talk.

His injury could actually benefit the Seahawks. Besides potentially landing him later in the draft, Smelter is a bit raw coming out of Georgia Tech. Like Latimer, he probably isn't a year 1 contributor, so he could use a year of film work and then route running when he's healthy.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1jjwjt69 said:
SomersetHawk":1jjwjt69 said:

I got to say I agree with DeAndre Smelter. I know you've been a big fan for awhile and I see why.

I think he could have been this year's Cody Latimer if he didn't get hurt; a late riser in the process who gains more attention the closer we get to the draft, but with a torn ACL in December he pretty much gets left behind in all the draft talk.

His injury could actually benefit the Seahawks. Besides potentially landing him later in the draft, Smelter is a bit raw coming out of Georgia Tech. Like Latimer, he probably isn't a year 1 contributor, so he could use a year of film work and then route running when he's healthy.

Yeh, he's awesome and he's caught less than 60 balls in his college career. I've seen some Tech fans say that he's their best receiver since Megatron, and though that's a huge stretch considering Demaryius Thomas came out of there a few years ago, it shows how well regarded he is.

He could be great, I'd do backflips if we got him.

Most people are now talking about their other receiver, Waller. He's got intriguing size but there's not a huge amount to like other than that. He looks like a pretty average athlete though maybe the combine will prove different, in fairness he's a big boy. I think maybe you get him to add 10lbs and move him inside to TE. Could develop into a nice redzone threat.

[youtube]jex4aA4BLXI[/youtube]

Jean Sifrin makes some crazy plays but he's 27. If he was 23 we might be talking about him with Clive Walford and Maxx Williams in this draft.

[youtube]r87y31gS-3E[/youtube]

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
cover-2":3smvd39b said:
3. (DE) Max Valles 6-5 240 lbs Virginia: Valles is a devopmental prospect who could easily put on 15 lbs on his frame. He is raw as a pass rusher and has little if any experience rushing the QB with his hand in the ground, but his length and athletism is intriguing.

I think Valles has a ton of upside as a LEO prospent. Great call there. He shows almnost no technique, but every once in a while you see an inside move or a jump off the snap that lets you know the talent is there. He just doesn't look like he's been coached to do anything but hold the edge.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
OP, define "under the radar" for me please because I would not categorize any player listed in your OP as such. I'm quite certain that David Johnson out of N. Iowa is even on each teams' radar. That kid is a beast. He would be my #1 choice to fit in with these Seahawks. He's a pretty good kick returner.

"Under the radar" to me means a player that may have been forgotten or isn't a prospect that is getting a lot of the attention. Perhaps you mean players that might be had at a lower position in the draft that would represent good value? Like potential "steals" of the draft?

An "under the radar" (perhaps waaaay under at this point) would be UCF WR J.J. Worton. (Ivotuk knows who I'm talking about.) Worton is a gritty player. 6-1 or 6-2/209-211 Only 40 time I can find is 4.59. But, he plays faster than that. Coming off an ACL injury, though. http://www.centralfloridafuture.com/sto ... /19779531/

[youtube]tqGv4tzBGvE[/youtube]

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1b41qdj5 said:
OP, define "under the radar" for me please because I would not categorize any player listed in your OP as such.

McGruff":1b41qdj5 said:
I've been doing a lot of First-Picking, and have come across some 2nd round and later guys I really love for us. Curious to see others add to the list

Not interested in arguing semantics. but we spend a lot of time talking about top prospects, and I thought one place to discuss 2nd and 3rd day guys might be nice.

I really don't like David Johnson as a runner, but as a receiver, I love him.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":1isciiz5 said:
TeamoftheCentury":1isciiz5 said:
OP, define "under the radar" for me please because I would not categorize any player listed in your OP as such.

McGruff":1isciiz5 said:

Not interested in arguing semantics. but we spend a lot of time talking about top prospects, and I thought one place to discuss 2nd and 3rd day guys might be nice.

I really don't like David Johnson as a runner, but as a receiver, I love him.
Sorry man. Didn't mean it that way. I just didn't get where you wanted to take this. You stated under the radar and then talked about some top prospects. (In any case, semantics don't have to necessarily be argumentative. The term exists for a reason, not just for use as a pejorative.) So, just asking for clarification. That's all.

I did try to play along with what I thought you meant. Did you check out J.J. Worton? I think he's a sneaky good player. But, he's not likely going to be a 2nd round pick. Not sure he's even going to get on team's radar to get drafted at all. THAT to me is "under the radar" and I think he constitutes a player no one might be talking about much - if at all.

Go Hawks.

Hawks46

Reaction score
If Lynch sticks around I can see us going with a higher pick next year at RB or someone "Under the radar" this year, but I'm tired of seeing us throwing UDFA's at our WR position.

Every year we're talking about potential, and how great our WRs could be, and every year, half the teams in the league completely erase our entire WR corps when they go man to man. We need someone to win 1 on 1 matchups. We don't need the best guy in the draft, but a guy that can make a difference. I just don't see many UDFA's being able to do that in year 1. And we need help NOW. Teams are paying attention and our WRs are going to get more of the same treatment until they make teams back off.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hawks46":1kxvabqo said:
If Lynch sticks around I can see us going with a higher pick next year at RB or someone "Under the radar" this year, but I'm tired of seeing us throwing UDFA's at our WR position.

Every year we're talking about potential, and how great our WRs could be, and every year, half the teams in the league completely erase our entire WR corps when they go man to man. We need someone to win 1 on 1 matchups. We don't need the best guy in the draft, but a guy that can make a difference. I just don't see many UDFA's being able to do that in year 1. And we need help NOW. Teams are paying attention and our WRs are going to get more of the same treatment until they make teams back off.
Truth.

I'm not on a J.J. Worton campaign. But, check out that kid's highlights. He's the real deal. Not sure where he would've been drafted without the injury. But, if Perriman is ascending in draft talks, that gives me some indication about where Worton may have been projected. He and Perriman were the 2 go-to guys for Blake Bortles.

two dog

Reaction score
Xavier Cooper, defensive tackle: Washington State. Under most all radars but shouldn't be.

Tyler Lockett, wide receiver: Kansas State. Guy's got that vibe about him, he's a baller built for the slot.
Short, 5-9 but not small, 189. Fast, real fast. Good hands and a better kick runner than anyone currently
on the roster.

Tony Lippett, wide receiver: Michigan State. Everybody liked him and then nobody liked him. Good routes.

Buck Allen, running back: Southern California. Good size, good speed and wait until Tom Cable gets hold of him.
Not Sherman Smith, Tom Cable. One cut and go.

Deontay Greenberry, wide receiver: Houston. You can't coach 6-3 and he has some stuff to go with it.

purpleneer

Reaction score
That Sifrin tape (actually another one) shows some real nice stuff as a pass-catcher, but the blocking, to be nice, has a long way to go and the effort there is a big turn-off.
Of the few tapes I've watched, the one who looks good to me is Christian from Louisville. Dynamic in the pass game and a willing and effective blocker, though looks like he'll need to get stronger and he's only 6'3."

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Darren Waller
Legit 6'6 5/8" 238lbs 40 time: 4.46 sec. Smooth strider.
Good hands but not been productive for GT.
Probably won't be under radar for long.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Waller does have potential. The GT QB wasn't very accurate passing this season but they ran the ball very well so he has been coached in blocking.

CPHawk

Reaction score
two dog":3jusrhax said:
Xavier Cooper, defensive tackle: Washington State. Under most all radars but shouldn't be.

Tyler Lockett, wide receiver: Kansas State. Guy's got that vibe about him, he's a baller built for the slot.
Short, 5-9 but not small, 189. Fast, real fast. Good hands and a better kick runner than anyone currently
on the roster.

Tony Lippett, wide receiver: Michigan State. Everybody liked him and then nobody liked him. Good routes.

Buck Allen, running back: Southern California. Good size, good speed and wait until Tom Cable gets hold of him.
Not Sherman Smith, Tom Cable. One cut and go.

Deontay Greenberry, wide receiver: Houston. You can't coach 6-3 and he has some stuff to go with it.

Fwiw Lippett went through DB drills yesterday as well.

Also your comments on Buck Allen, what has Cable shown that says he's able to make a RB better? I don't credit him with any of Marshawns success, and none of the other RB have progressed in to the point we are comfortable with them being the man.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Scottemojo":o36fhvv1 said:
zach zenner.
Good one. I hadn't looked at this player previously. His running style reminds me of one or two RB's I know very well that I won't identify here.