Jake fisher

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Offensive tackle from Oregon. Sounds like he's tearing it up at the combine. Can play both tackle positions. Plays like an asshole on the field. Don't think I'd take him in the 1st round but if he's available when we pick in the 2nd I'd think he'd be a great pickup for the hawks.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
He and Iko would be great fits for the team plus they fill needs. I'm a big fan of those 2

hawknation2015

Reaction score
I like Jake Fisher a lot. Tom Cable would really help improve his overall game.

I think he could start off at RT, start Britt at LG, and you're set. That would be a big upgrade for our line.

[youtube]yesCzH3kstg[/youtube]

titan3131

Reaction score
we need a LT. And a LG.

Fisher doesnt look like a power guy I think he is quick but I dont see him taking britts job. Britt is just going to grow it makes no sense to move him when we already have bailey that worst case scenario can fill in @ guard.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
titan3131":otnowtzr said:
we need a LT. And a LG.

Fisher doesnt look like a power guy I think he is quick but I dont see him taking britts job. Britt is just going to grow it makes no sense to move him when we already have bailey that worst case scenario can fill in @ guard.

You would have the perfect OT if you combined Fisher's foot speed in pass pro with Britt's upper body strength. Fisher isn't a really powerful guy yet, but he has the frame and the tenacity to develop into a great run blocker under a mentor like Tom Cable.

IMO, Fisher would be an instant upgrade as a pass blocker over Britt. And that's what we need outside.

Moving Britt to LG would also provide an instant upgrade over Carpenter. Britt is a much more consistent run blocker than Carpenter and is equally capable as a pass blocker. Playing in a smaller window at LG and facing fewer speed rushers, Britt could be excellent in pass blocking. I believe Britt could be an All-Pro caliber guard, while his ceiling is lower at OT.

That also gives you options moving into 2016 when Fisher could replace Okung at LT (after a year of starting experience at RT) and Britt could either stay at LG or move back to RT, depending on who else they add.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Could Fisher pull an Unger perhaps and start at a different position (in this case LG) before eventually moving to his natural position of tackle?

Worth a look if so. As I don't think Okung is worth locking up long term, at least with the salary OT's command.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":pdtahdct said:
Could Fisher pull an Unger perhaps and start at a different position (in this case LG) before eventually moving to his natural position of tackle?

Worth a look if so. As I don't think Okung is worth locking up long term, at least with the salary OT's command.

Yeah, I mean, I don't think Fisher at guard would be ideal. You're not really utilizing his strengths (length and quick feet in outside pass pro) nor are you really covering up his weaknesses (lack of power at point of attack) if you play him at LG.

But if they are determined to keep Britt at RT (and to live with the outside pressure) then you could throw Fisher into the competition at LG with Bailey, as well as develop him at LT, knowing that Okung is likely to miss time due to injury.

It might not make the line better in the short term, but it would at least provide a backup for Okung, as well as potential future replacement.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
hawknation2015":6h8kujys said:
Hasselbeck":6h8kujys said:

Yeah, I mean, I don't think Fisher at guard would be ideal. You're not really utilizing his strengths (length and quick feet in outside pass pro) nor are you really covering up his weaknesses (lack of power at point of attack) if you play him at LG.

But if they are determined to keep Britt at RT (and to live with the outside pressure) then you could throw Fisher into the competition at LG with Bailey, as well as develop him at LT, knowing that Okung is likely to miss time due to injury.

It might not make the line better in the short term, but it would at least provide a backup for Okung, as well as potential future replacement.

I completely agree with you, but I don't think we could afford to invest a 1st on a player who is a clear upgrade at tackle, and then use him as a backup or inside. I think if they draft him its with the mindset that they will reconfigure the line with him at Tackle. Even if it was to the extreme of cutting Okung, if they were confident in Britt developing. Or you draft him and use it as leverage to get Okung to restructure. Then I could see it working with him at backup. But without that I think it's too much capital to invest and not use... especially on a line so in need of upgrading.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
For me Fisher's best position at the next level might be RG.

Not convinced he's a great fit for Seattle as a guard or tackle. Not sure making this O-line leaner is the answer, and that's what you'll do if you replace a 325lbs behemoth (Carp) with Long.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3jhiiu14 said:

Not convinced he's a great fit for Seattle as a guard or tackle. Not sure making this O-line leaner is the answer, and that's what you'll do if you replace a 325lbs behemoth (Carp) with Long.

Why do you project him at RG and not OT?

He is arguably the most athletic linemen in this draft and his agility times bear that out. He has great length. I don't think there is a better outside pass protector in this draft. He could also stand to continue to get stronger and maybe put on 10-15 lbs.

Oregon tends to recruit linemen who need to fill out. Fisher was a 6'6, 260 lbs OT in high school. He has added 45 lbs over the last four years. I don't see any reason why he couldn't be expected to add another 10 lbs of muscle under a full-time conditioning program.

This also isn't a player who is shy about contact. Fisher plays with some nastiness. He just hasn't had the bulk to really knock guys off the ball . . . until now.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He has similar athletic numbers to Joel Bitonio, who made a fine guard. Ditto Kyle Long.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1jke1tg4 said:
He has similar athletic numbers to Joel Bitonio, who made a fine guard.

Bitionio did have a great year at LG, but he was 6'4, so guard was a better fit for him.

Long is a similar length, at 6'6, but look at the difference in agility:
Long's 3-cone: 7.83
Fisher's 3-cone: 7.25

Long's short shuttle: 4.63
Fisher's short shuttle: 4.33

Long's vertical*: 28.0
Fisher's vertical: 32.5

*Vertical is not really relevant to agility in pass pro, but it does show the difference in overall athleticism.

That difference in athleticism is why Fisher was an OT at Oregon, while Long played OG. Long was not nearly as good in pass pro, but he was better at the point of attack. Fisher's agility times are truly elite for a 300 pounder.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure two inches in height, given they are almost identical in length, is enough on its own to distinguish Bitonio and Fisher. And for what it's worth, Bitonio's tape was a lot better at tackle vs Fisher's.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Unger played tackle at Oregon, and was tall.

Pretty good NFL center.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":r1en2kt5 said:

Pretty good NFL center.

Yeah but Unger really took off once he moved to center in 2007. He was absolutely dominant . . . I remember him totally dominating USC's big NT Sedrick Ellis. Unfortunately for Oregon that year, they lost their QB and their NC aspirations went down the toilet.

Fisher's length and agility is much better than Unger's for the OT position. He just put up the best 3-cone and short shuttle times for any offensive line at the last three combines.

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1peu4jsd said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1peu4jsd said:

Why do you project him at RG and not OT?

He is arguably the most athletic linemen in this draft and his agility times bear that out. He has great length. I don't think there is a better outside pass protector in this draft. He could also stand to continue to get stronger and maybe put on 10-15 lbs.

Oregon tends to recruit linemen who need to fill out. Fisher was a 6'6, 260 lbs OT in high school. He has added 45 lbs over the last four years. I don't see any reason why he couldn't be expected to add another 10 lbs of muscle under a full-time conditioning program.

This also isn't a player who is shy about contact. Fisher plays with some nastiness. He just hasn't had the bulk to really knock guys off the ball . . . until now.

Actually he was a TE in HS.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1uvexixu said:
Scottemojo":1uvexixu said:

Pretty good NFL center.

Yeah but Unger really took off once he moved to center in 2007. He was absolutely dominant . . . I remember him totally dominating USC's big NT Sedrick Ellis. Unfortunately for Oregon that year, they lost their QB and their NC aspirations went down the toilet.

Fisher's length and agility is much better than Unger's for the OT position. He just put up the best 3-cone and short shuttle times for any offensive line at the last three combines.
I'm no scout, though I play one on .NET. Shit expertise aside, the guy looks like a guard to me. He is good at getting to the linebackers, but doesn't look great at much else. I really don't care much what he did at the combine, I watched him play and it was just OK as a tackle. He certainly does not look like the mauler type Cable seeks.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2twy5aqw said:
hawknation2015":2twy5aqw said:
Scottemojo":2twy5aqw said:

Pretty good NFL center.

I'm no scout, though I play one on .NET. Shit expertise aside, the guy looks like a guard to me. He is good at getting to the linebackers, but doesn't look great at much else. I really don't care much what he did at the combine, I watched him play and it was just OK as a tackle. He certainly does not look like the mauler type Cable seeks.

I'm just curious. If you don't see him as a mauler type, then why do you think he looks like a guard?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2883335y said:
Scottemojo":2883335y said:
hawknation2015":2883335y said:
Scottemojo":2883335y said:

Pretty good NFL center.

I'm just curious. If you don't see him as a mauler type, then why do you think he looks like a guard?
Because he looks even worse at tackle?

You had another thread where you lauded Miller, a guard prospect. I had watched that guy, and slow as he is, and he is damn slow, his pass pro is confident and he gives up so little ground while doing it. Physical pass pro is a rare thing, but that guy has it.

Fisher is so deep into his backpedal that he creates opportunities for the DE. I don't know the right terms for what he is doing, so I will just say it isn't very physical. Fisher puts himself back close to the pocket as much as the DE does. Watch footage of him back to back with the Texas A&M guy, Ogbuehi, and the difference is stark. I'm not saying he will be a good guard, I am saying I don't think he is a very good tackle, so he better try guard.