Ajayi vs gurley who better with our oline ?

who can break the most tackles behind the line of scrimmage ?

• Ajayi

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Gurley

Votes: 31 83.8%

• Total voters

hawksurething

Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nJbd1yctaVo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Vy61HobfM

Watch the FILM 1st ,then count the number of broken tackles behind the line.
Now tell us who evades & breaks the most tackles BEHIND the line of scrimmage ?

Ajayi breaks the most tackles behind the line & he is fast !

That is the RB the hawks need due to our o-line Giving so much penertration. Right ?

This poll will show us how many go by the media big name vs actual film & team fit.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
None of these Gurley highlights show broken tackles in the backfield. Of course, that doesn't mean Gurley hasn't broken quite a few tackles in the backfield during his career. Those plays just weren't selected in that particular youtube video.

Here's one such play:
yDJdqx.gif

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1fbu7o7y said:
None of these Gurley highlights show broken tackles in the backfield. Of course, that doesn't mean Gurley hasn't broken quite a few tackles in the backfield during his career. Those plays just weren't the selected in that particular youtube video.

Here's one such play:
yDJdqx.gif

I watched Gurley and he does not break many tackles behind the line that much at all,its due to his wiggle. BUT GURLEY STILL BREAKS BEHIND THE LINE.
While all we see is Ajayi evading tackles consistently. So much so that its even ALL OVER His highlight films.

Anyone who watched both RBs will tell you this. Its even in the draft reports from every site about Gurley's lack of wiggle. I like Gurley... Its just that Ajayi is amazing with penertration hawks oline.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
hawksurething":1zqe6ojp said:
I watched Gurley and he does not break many tackles behind the line that much at all,its due to his wiggle. BUT GURLEY STILL BREAKS BEHIND THE LINE.
While all we see is Ajayi evading tackles consistently. So much so that its even ALL OVER His highlight films.

Anyone who watched both RBs will tell you this. Its even in the draft reports from every site about Gurley's lack of wiggle. I like Gurley... Its just that Ajayi is amazing with penertration hawks oline.

Not trying to knock Ajayi (I think he's a talented prospect), but most if not all of those broken tackles came from an overuse of the spin move. I say overuse because the runner is not advancing when he attempts such a move, puts himself off balance, and leaves himself vulnerable to losing yardage if a defender were to wrap up properly. He probably would not have had to break three tackles in the backfield on that first play if he had maintained his balance using a juke or stiff arm and advanced before the other defenders had an opportunity to tackle him in the backfield. Those are skills Ajayi can continue to refine as he develops into a complete back.

I'm also not sure why you are focusing this topic solely on broken tackles in the backfield, rather than all broken tackles. I assumed you were doing so because the highlight reel you watched of Gurley happened to not contain any plays of broken tackles in the backfield. Yet you have persisted after I dispelled that myth.

Since we don't have any raw data on how many tackles each back actually broke in the backfield, let's instead look at the data we do have, which is lost yardage per attempt.

In 2014, Ajayi lost 77 yards on 347 rushing attempts -- .22 lost yards per run.

Gurley was better, albeit on way fewer attempts due to his suspension and injury. He lost 21 yards on 123 attempts -- .17 lost yards per run.

Next, let's look at the totality of their college careers.

Ajayi has 678 career rushing attempts. He lost 126 yards on those attempts or .19 lost yards per attempt.

Gurley lost 69 total yards in his career on 510 career rushing attempts or .13 lost yards per attempt.

Warning: this is just raw data . . . it does not take into consideration many important factors, such as the varying levels of defensive competition (SEC vs. MWC) and the play of their respective offensive lines.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hawksurething":jgppfh5b said:

That is the RB the hawks need due to our o-line Giving so much penertration. Right ?

This poll will show us how many go by the media big name vs actual film.

Gurley is by far the better back. Any opinion that states otherwise is clearly wrong and belongs to a Boise State homer.

See....I can play that game to. Not sure why you made a poll with a clear biased OP bashing anyone who doesn't agree with you. Seems like most don't agree with you according to the current poll results.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
I guarantee Ajayi will have more fumbles than Gurley

CPHawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2eve5599 said:
hawksurething":2eve5599 said:

Gurley is by far the better back. Any opinion that states otherwise is clearly wrong and belongs to a Boise State homer.

See....I can play that game to. Not sure why you made a poll with a clear biased OP bashing anyone who doesn't agree with you. Seems like most don't agree with you according to the current poll results.

The only thing I have against Gurley is his health. RB get the crap kicked out of them, he needs to stay healthy, or he's a waisted pick.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
CPHawk":iepfa4ln said:
ImTheScientist":iepfa4ln said:
hawksurething":iepfa4ln said:

The only thing I have against Gurley is his health. RB get the crap kicked out of them, he needs to stay healthy, or he's a waisted pick.

Like Jerome Bettis?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
CPHawk":36ai80z5 said:
ImTheScientist":36ai80z5 said:
hawksurething":36ai80z5 said:

Did he have more than the ACL?

OP
OP
H

hawksurething

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2emtygnh said:
hawksurething":2emtygnh said:

Of course gurley is the better back. But not for the hawks oline. I garuntee that !

Just like lesean McCoy is the better back. But we saw when his line fell apart he sucked . right ?
But when Lynch's line fell apart it did not matter much, he is like ajayi.

Obviously y'all did not watch the film ;)

Gurley needs a oline. Plus he is hurt. Fact !

CPHawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":2qezemo8 said:
CPHawk":2qezemo8 said:
ImTheScientist":2qezemo8 said:
hawksurething":2qezemo8 said:

Like Jerome Bettis?

Or like Lattimore.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Boy I'm glad I'm not a scout.

From the HIGHLIGHTS (I've never scouted either player), it looks like they'd both have flaws that might be tough to run behind our OL.

Ajayi can make guys miss and he's slippery, but I saw a lot of arm tackles from DBs getting him down. That doesn't happen with Lynch. Ajayi does seem to have good high end speed; he gets the corner more quickly than the defense anticipates and blows by the secondary.

I get the OP's question, and how he phrased it. Our OL allows silly penetration in the run game and pass game. You'll get good run blocking and once every 5 plays or so, you get a guy coming free right at the RB that had no right to be that clean. Lynch breaks that tackile or makes the guy miss completely. Quick North/South runners that utilize just one cut (like Turbin) usually don't get by that guy.

I get why people are high on Gurley, but I guess I still just don't see it, at least to the tune of using a 1st rounder on a guy with a blown ACL. Gurley has amazing top end speed...he'll turn upfield and before you know it, he's by both of the safieties and one CB, and it looks like it shocks the defenders every time. He also has elite balance and blows through a lot of tackles. But, he's that "one cut" guy. He's decisive to the hole, but I rarely saw him utilized a cut back lane. I also never saw any highlights where he was met in the backfield.

Now, this could mean a few things: maybe Georgia's OL was so good, he rarely needed to cut back, and never get met in the backfield, or that the guy making the penetration into the backfield (generally a DLman) got him down and there was no highlight. I see the physical talent, but would he be effective behind our OL ?

The biggest problem I have with GUrley actually isn't a problem yet. Will he come back 100% ? If he does, he's going to be great, but with that running style, if he loses speed a bit, he doesn't have the wiggle to get it done a different way.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The only place Ajayi has an edge on Gurley.. is the knee.

Gurley is better than Ajayi in every other way. And that includes fit on this offense. This is an impact running back that would be going Top 15 at worst if he were 100% healthy. Ajayi is serviceable sure.. but we have serviceable already.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lynch, best back in the league, just serviceable, hate to see what is considered good.

kearly

Reaction score
Gurley by far. I just don't think he's going to reach our pick. I also kind of worry that his knee injury was bad enough for him to be Lattimore 2.0. If he reached the #31 pick, it would probably be because teams are very scared of that knee.

Also, the poll mismatches the question. Ajayi is better at breaking tackles, but Gurley is way better as a RB overall.

marko358

Reaction score
chris98251":m4pmcrvp said:
Lynch, best back in the league, just serviceable, hate to see what is considered good.
Pretty obvious he was referring to our two backups.

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":1n628ez7 said:

I think was referring to Michael and Turbin.

chris98251

Reaction score
marko358":25uevxse said:
chris98251":25uevxse said:

No, it really wasn't, since Lynch is still under contract he is part of the team therefore this portion of the post does not distinguish between the two.

Ajayi is serviceable sure.. but we have serviceable already.

You don't draft a back in the first round to sit.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
chris98251":1vdpgd6f said:
marko358":1vdpgd6f said:
chris98251":1vdpgd6f said:

No, it really wasn't, since Lynch is still under contract he is part of the team therefore this portion of the post does not distinguish between the two.

Ajayi is serviceable sure.. but we have serviceable already.

You don't draft a back in the first round to sit.

I meant Lynch's backups.. and this years RB would figure to be tabbed as his replacement when Lynch retires/leaves via FA in 16'