Mel Kiper's Draft Picks

Schadie001

Reaction score
Found this to be interesting
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-IP721IUAA4bJg.png:large

It's a spreadsheet using Mel Kiper's mock drafts for the last 5 years to determine what each team would have picked, now I hate Mel Kiper and his over-inflated ego and his picks for the hawks all but confirms my personal disdain for him.

1: Derrick Morgan
2: C.J Spiller
3: Ryan Mallet
4: Melvin Ingram
5: John Jenkins
6: Allen Robinson

I think the most disgusting thing about this pick is having us take Derrick Morgan instead of Earl Thomas and having ET3 going to the 49'ers!, who I will admit would have had some pretty scary players from his mocks.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Derrick Morgan at the #6 pick in the 2010 draft would've been a joke. I'm glad we didn't take him at #14 either (obviously).

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Those were all great predictions for who the Hawks would take before Carroll and Schneider got there. Those picks would have kept the Hawks on the same path they had always been on. So thankful Paul Allen hired the guys who would change the course of the franchise.

kearly

Reaction score
I wanted Morgan at #14 that year. He was a prototypical pass rush prospect. IIRC, it was JS or Pete who said in an interview a couple years ago that they would have taken Morgan if Earl hadn't reached their pick.

I wanted Allen Robinson too, though not in the 1st round. Mallett, I would have been okay with (though for the record, it was rumored that he was off Seattle's draft board completely and that didn't bother me at all). I never liked any of the others.

Second guessing Mel Kiper is kind of silly though. He's really no different than most NFL scouts or executives. His big board is usually a mirror of how the 1st round goes, the only players he whiffs on in his rankings are the guys with medical problems that teams know about but media members don't.

I know Mel Kiper is a sunny disposition guy who wants fans to think that every 1st round pick is a future all-pro, but I don't think he seriously believes that himself. He is an entertainer, and he wants the draft to be fun. If him being positive about a first round prospect makes him a dummy, then what about the team that spent a 1st round pick on that player?

chris98251

Reaction score
kearly":zl42fqe2 said:
I wanted Morgan at #14 that year. He was a prototypical pass rush prospect. IIRC, it was JS or Pete who said in an interview a couple years ago that they would have taken Morgan if Earl hadn't reached their pick.

I wanted Allen Robinson too, though not in the 1st round. Mallett, I would have been okay with (though for the record, it was rumored that he was off Seattle's draft board completely and that didn't bother me at all). I never liked any of the others.

Second guessing Mel Kiper is kind of silly though. He's really no different than most NFL scouts or executives. His big board is usually a mirror of how the 1st round goes, the only players he whiffs on in his rankings are the guys with medical problems that teams know about but media members don't.

I know Mel Kiper is a sunny disposition guy who wants fans to think that every 1st round pick is a future all-pro, but I don't think he seriously believes that himself. He is an entertainer, and he wants the draft to be fun. If him being positive about a first round prospect makes him a dummy, then what about the team that spent a 1st round pick on that player?

Umm like Ruskell?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
When the Eagles traded up in front of us, I thought for sure they were going to take Earl Thomas (that was the rumor before the draft that they were in love with Earl). At that point I wanted Morgan or JPP. I thought we needed pass rush because we didn't have any, I mean we just traded Tapp for some journeyman named Clemons... :34853_doh:

I'm very happy with how the draft turned out, but I will say this, I still wouldn't mind Morgan coming here on the cheap during FA.

Rob12

Reaction score
Schadie001":3dbye7z5 said:
Found this to be interesting
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-IP721IUAA4bJg.png:large

It's a spreadsheet using Mel Kiper's mock drafts for the last 5 years to determine what each team would have picked, now I hate Mel Kiper and his over-inflated ego and his picks for the hawks all but confirms my personal disdain for him.

1: Derrick Morgan
2: C.J Spiller
3: Ryan Mallet
4: Melvin Ingram
5: John Jenkins
6: Allen Robinson

I think the most disgusting thing about this pick is having us take Derrick Morgan instead of Earl Thomas and having ET3 going to the 49'ers!, who I will admit would have had some pretty scary players from his mocks.

We'd be in deep **** with those picks, though I'd be down with No. 6. Kiper is a clown.

Rob12

Reaction score
But yeah, I really shouldn't say that about Kiper because if some of the guys I wanted came to fruition, we'd be in deep too.

But he gets paid... A lot of money I'm assuming... To know what's up. And the guy has repeatedly been dead wrong about the Seahawks and their drafts. I loved the 2012 draft - absolutely loved it. But he said it was one of the worst he has seen. Wish I got paid for my opinion.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":2nvcl83s said:

Good post.

Kiper is often wrong, but his 1st round projections are better than anything any of us would come up with without getting help from other people's lists. You made some very good points. Im no fan of Kiper but people on here give him more crap than he deserves.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Rob12":3r73dhkq said:
But yeah, I really shouldn't say that about Kiper because if some of the guys I wanted came to fruition, we'd be in deep too.

But he gets paid... A lot of money I'm assuming... To know what's up. And the guy has repeatedly been dead wrong about the Seahawks and their drafts. I loved the 2012 draft - absolutely loved it. But he said it was one of the worst he has seen. Wish I got paid for my opinion.

Pete and John draft differently than pretty much anyone else ever has. Pete introduced the SPARQ ratings, and they also draft for specific guys a thing can't do, and don't get hung up on all the things a guy can't. It's human nature, teams are spending time, money and draft capital on these kids, so you pick them apart to be really sure. When you pick them apart, pretty soon everyone looks bad in some aspect, then you start reaching for potential.

So, while Kiper does seem a bit over the top with his ego at times, he's not the only one that's wrong. I knew we'd arrived 2 drafts ago when draft analysts were actually saying "I really don't get this pick, and I can't understand it, but JS and PC have proven me wrong enough times before that I'm endorsing the pick". Look at our draft grades, they used to be D's and F's, now everyone is scared to give us worse than a C+. Pete and John make a lot of people look bad.

Besides, the entire draft is a crap shoot. You can't predict things like how fast a player will digest and be able to use information, or injuries. To my knowledge, Okung was never injury prone in college. You can quantify some things like work ethic and the ability to stay out of trouble, but seriously, more teams are wrong than right and more often than not.

I read somewhere that a really good GM hits on around 55% of his picks. The average career length of the NFL player is somewhere around 18 months, with everything factored in. When you look at it like this, it seems like a waste of time to rip apart draft prognosticators as idiots. We all have fun guessing at it, and some are better than others.

kearly

Reaction score
chris98251":2il9bdnm said:
Umm like Ruskell?

Huh... I think I missed what you are saying here. Ruskell didn't draft any of those guys.