Defensive backs hawks may target.

titan3131

Reaction score
Before we approach this subject we must acknowledge a few things.

1. We dont draft dbs shorter then 5"11

2. We havent drafted any db without 32'+ arms.

3. We never draft purely off need. its based off where we see his value.

That leaves us with this list. Every one of these player meets our requirements.

Adrian Amos
Alex Carter
Jalen Collins
Kurtis Drummond
Durrell Eskridge
Gerod Holliman
Byron Jones
Cody Prewitt
Jordan Richards
James Sample
Tye Smith
Jaquiski Tartt
Julian Wilson

I see Jalen colins first off the board and maybe 2 other before our first pick. I im not sure if the hawks even think about a db with our first pick. But really alot of these guys are intriguing, and I wonder if we would look at any of them as corners instead of safety.

McGruff

Reaction score
titan3131":1cniqlzg said:
Before we approach this subject we must acknowledge a few things.

1. We dont draft dbs shorter then 5"11

2. We havent drafted any db without 32'+ arms.

3. We never draft purely off need. its based off where we see his value.

That leaves us with this list. Every one of these player meets our requirements.

Adrian Amos
Alex Carter
Jalen Collins
Kurtis Drummond
Durrell Eskridge
Gerod Holliman
Byron Jones
Cody Prewitt
Jordan Richards
James Sample
Tye Smith
Jaquiski Tartt
Julian Wilson

I see Jalen colins first off the board and maybe 2 other before our first pick. I im not sure if the hawks even think about a db with our first pick. But really alot of these guys are intriguing, and I wonder if we would look at any of them as corners instead of safety.

Jalen Collins is the only one of those guys who sniffs the first round. Maybe not even the second. After that it really is in the eye of the beholder.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Regarding 5'10 CBs, we did trade for Marcus Burley last year. Walter Thurmond was slightly under 5'11 I think.

5'10 is fine for the nickel spot if they have long arms.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
granted. But we need a outside corner currently. and maybe a depth nickel.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
titan3131":6xyb40ca said:

Regarding the 32'' arm requirement, I think we would be willing to make an exception if a player as talented as Trae Waynes or Ronald Darby fell to us. Kevin Johnson and Marcus Peters are other talented corners with pretty good size but average arm length.

Charles Gaines and Ronald Darby are only 5'10 but they have longer arms than the taller Waynes and Johnson.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":o544s2vl said:
titan3131":o544s2vl said:

Regarding the 32'' arm requirement, I think we would be willing to make an exception if a player as talented as Trae Waynes or Ronald Darby fell to us. Kevin Johnson and Marcus Peters are other talented corners with pretty good size but average arm length.

Charles Gaines is only 5'10 but has longer arms than the taller Waynes, Johnson, and Peters.
Actually Peters has the longest arms of every CB you mentioned at 31 1/2". Gaines and Darby are next with 31 3/8"

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2phwhh0o said:
hawknation2015":2phwhh0o said:
titan3131":2phwhh0o said:

Charles Gaines is only 5'10 but has longer arms than the taller Waynes, Johnson, and Peters.
Actually Peters has the longest arms of every CB you mentioned at 31 1/2". Gaines and Darby are next with 31 3/8"

OK, thanks for the correction. I read that Peters was the same as Waynes and Johnson at 31''.

Anyway, we are talking about a difference in about six mm.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I think Eskridge is a player to watch amongst this group. Good size and length. His 10 yard splits are very quick - tied for best in the group. Long speed is kind of magoo. Seems like the kind of raw prospect that possesses good tools to work with as a day 3 pick. Not a household name. But tested very well for a guy at 6' 2 7/8z". Vertical was poor.

Other guys that tested well:

- Alex Carder. Splits very good. Long speed good. Very good vertical. Tape struck me as 4th round type.

- Byron Jones. Didn't run. Leaping ability off the charts. Probably Dontari Poe'd his way to round 2. Press cover talent. Unique qualities with leaping ability.

- Cody Prewitt. Kind of see him having a Deone Buchanon kind of rise as draft nears. Thumper of a safety. But doesn't form tackle/wrap up well. Could improve at the next level on that. Good speed/splits. Productive player who seems to have fallen from late 1st round consideration to mid/late 2nd round.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1262d7md said:
Hawkfan77":1262d7md said:
hawknation2015":1262d7md said:
titan3131":1262d7md said:

OK, thanks for the correction. I read that Peters was the same as Waynes and Johnson at 31''.
I read the same thing and then after reading your comment just decided to look it up on the nfl.com/combine site.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Arm length is important but so is size in bump and run coverage and height to shield off receivers. Lower arm length can be made up for if they are taller with a better vertical.

Waynes is over 6'0 with a 38'' vertical.

Johnson is over 6'0 with a 41.5'' vertical.

Both of these guys are like Sherman in that they are tall and play like physical receivers, albeit with 31'' arms.

[youtube]pDxw_rjMRA8[/youtube]

[youtube]pATu4Clgxc8[/youtube]

endzorn

Reaction score
James Sample is a former Husky with absolute freakish size who didn't come into his own until last season. If he's available in the 4/5 range I think they'll be tempted to groom him behind Chancellor.

CPHawk

Reaction score
endzorn":147xykem said:
James Sample is a former Husky with absolute freakish size who didn't come into his own until last season. If he's available in the 4/5 range I think they'll be tempted to groom him behind Chancellor.

Maybe he's figured it out, but the kid was a head case. I know Kelly wanted to offer him and UO DB coach Neal talked him out of it.