How would off-season moves affect your view of the draft?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Are there certain scenario that would change you opinions on the Seahawks draft plans based on an off-season move by the front office?

Some examples:
- James Carpenter re-signs for cheap: 5 returning starters. Is a high pick still a possibility?

- Julius Thomas is signed: Lets go get a wideout and really step up the offense OR
we just got a weapon for Wilson, we can grab WR value later in the draft.

- Lynch Retires: Can we get by with Turbin and Cmike without a high pick or is RB a huge need?

- Lynch agrees to a contract extension: does that drop the RBs off your board or at least much lower?

There's probably dozens more moves that would be interesting to consider. Some small moves won't change your views much but maybe just enough to shift your attention to another draft prospect or position group.

Also, is there a specific player that jumps up your top wanted list because one of these moves filled a need?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":vi956zcv said:
Are there certain scenario that would change you opinions on the Seahawks draft plans based on an off-season move by the front office?

Some examples:
- James Carpenter re-signs for cheap: 5 returning starters. Is a high pick still a possibility?

- Julius Thomas is signed: Lets go get a wideout and really step up the offense OR

- Lynch Retires: Can we get by with Turbin and Cmike without a high pick or is RB a huge need?

- Lynch agrees to a contract extension: does that drop the RBs off your board or at least much lower?

There's probably dozens more moves that would be interesting to consider. Some small moves won't change your views much but maybe just enough to shift your attention to another draft prospect or position group.

Also, is there a specific player that jumps up your top wanted list because one of these moves filled a need?
1. Whether Carpenter resigns or not the OL must be upgraded and we need to spend at least a couple of picks there regardless.

2. I would say that gives us the choice to do either and I would probably go with someone later. Because I like Richardson and I think Norwood and Matthews still have time to develop into that bigger receiver we crave.

3. Go with what we have and try and get Gurley or Gordon.

4. Yes.

5. Of course but I wouldn't know who given I'm not any kind of draft expert.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":yr0olo1n said:
Recon_Hawk":yr0olo1n said:

Some examples:

1. Whether Carpenter resigns or not the OL must be upgraded and we need to spend at least a couple of picks there regardless.

2. I would say that gives us the choice to do either and I would probably go with someone later. Because I like Richardson and I think Norwood and Matthews still have time to develop into that bigger receiver we crave.

4. Yes.

1. If Carp re-signs it'll take an early pick to drastically improve the Oline. Where would you fix the Oline at?

2. There's talent at WR throughout the draft so waiting could pay off, but I guess I don't have the faith you have in Baldwin and Kearse to think they are enough to make up for Prich on the PUP and Norwood/Matthews not developing.

3. There's incredible depth at RB this year. Would you take a chance on the development of Turbin and CMike to wait for a value pick later?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would think that if they go after a proven, veteran receiver like Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson that they would not be taking a WR in the first round. I think even if they signed someone like Julius Thomas that they would still want to target a playmaking WR early in the draft to pair with him.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
I really am concerned about Unger. Assuming we don't pursue one in FA, I'd consider drafting his eventual replacement. We've passed on several intriguing candidates in recent drafts, but I think this year we nab our CENTER OF THE FUTURE.

I need help.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":2t40wcz0 said:

Absolutely. Schneider has been very candid about how he views the draft, trades, and UFA signings as an integrated system for adding talent wherever. We've seen already how we've used the UFA signings to buffet areas of weakness that were speculated to be addressed via the draft.

Recon_Hawk":2t40wcz0 said:

Yeah. I could see some that fills need. Andre Johnson or Stevie Johnson (if he's released) would lessen the need for a R1/R2 WR pick.

If I thought that Russell Wilson would throw over the middle, Cameron or Thomas could be options. I don't like either as you'd be paying Thomas based on Manning's affinity for throwing to TEs. He probably catches 1/3 of the passes here in Seattle. Cameron is a 2 month concussion waiting to happen. Ultimately a dynamic TE is largely a waste, since you can look at the all 22 tape and wide open WRs/TEs roam there constantly and he never looks their way. It's a huge hole in the field we don't even look to exploit.

Otherwise, the Suh discussion has raged and I've made my stance known. He's a transformative talent for this team in a way that no other available player is. On either side of the ball. He doesn't fill a need per se. But he raises the already good level of everyone on the line and in the secondary by his quality. He made a decidedly average defense in the NFL the #2 ranked unit. Without him, they are probably outside the top 10.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
You could argue that we have needs/holes at WR, OT, TE, OG, RB*, QB, DE, DT, OLB, S, & CB. Even if we sign someone in free agency at one of those positions, it would not effect the drafting of a player at the position. However,ff as you mentioned, it would definitely affect where in the draft you'd target that player.

*probably not a need if Lynch is extended, but could definitely see a guy drafted late & placed on the practice squad.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I could see us drafting Gurley if he's as good as some folks here are saying.

If Lynch retires, we could PUP him, run Turbin and CMike, and see how well he responds halfway through the season.

If Lynch resigns, we redshirt him the entire year, split carries with Turbin and CMike, and see which one of those two develops enough to keep. Then next year we see what Lynch has in the tank, and split carries with Lynch and Gurley.

Agree with Missouhawkgal. We need to upgrade the interior OL regardless of who comes back, because it's a need. I also disagree that if Carpenter comes back, it would take a high round pick to replace him. I'm unimpressed with Carpenter. Sure, he's physical, but he's constantly blowing assignments and gets blown backwards or whiffs in pass pro constantly. Sweezy is better at least in assignments, but he's just as terrible in pass pro. Also agree with Hawkfinn that it's time to draft Unger's replacement, even if he plays Guard for a couple of years.

WR is a tough one. I think it's pretty impatient to say Norwood and Matthews haven't progressed enough, after both just completed their rookie years. Norwood was injured and Matthews was learning the NFL so we should see some progress. I'm not sure we count on that, but we could draft a big bodied WR and end up missing out when Matthews develops. I do agree that we need to upgrade WR, but I'm not keen on burning a ton of draft capitol to do so.

I think we need secondary depth, regardless of offseason moves. There also isn't really much for CB's in FA, so really we're going to rely on Safety and CB depth in the draft.

Same goes for interior DL depth. Signing Williams is a must, but we still need a dynamic 3 tech DT, as Hill shows flashes, but he's also shown flashes of being able to stay on the field.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":19qq9j30 said:
Recon_Hawk":19qq9j30 said:
Absolutely. Schneider has been very candid about how he views the draft, trades, and UFA signings as an integrated system for adding talent wherever. We've seen already how we've used the UFA signings to buffet areas of weakness that were speculated to be addressed via the draft.
Recon_Hawk":19qq9j30 said:

Yeah. I could see some that fills need. Andre Johnson or Stevie Johnson (if he's released) would lessen the need for a R1/R2 WR pick.

If I thought that Russell Wilson would throw over the middle, Cameron or Thomas could be options. I don't like either as you'd be paying Thomas based on Manning's affinity for throwing to TEs. He probably catches 1/3 of the passes here in Seattle. Cameron is a 2 month concussion waiting to happen. Ultimately a dynamic TE is largely a waste, since you can look at the all 22 tape and wide open WRs/TEs roam there constantly and he never looks their way. It's a huge hole in the field we don't even look to exploit.

Otherwise, the Suh discussion has raged and I've made my stance known. He's a transformative talent for this team in a way that no other available player is. On either side of the ball. He doesn't fill a need per se. But he raises the already good level of everyone on the line and in the secondary by his quality. He made a decidedly average defense in the NFL the #2 ranked unit. Without him, they are probably outside the top 10.

Schneider has been really good bolstering up a roster to go into each draft without huge needs. As it stands, the receiver position needs the most help...if Pete and John could convince Andre Johnson to come to Seattle to be a #1 receiver and compete for a championship?! Holy crap that would be an amazing move. I'm all for it. That would really allow them to draft the best player available without reaching for needs which could led to an exciting draft.

I'm with ya on the tight ends. I'd rather not overpay for Thomas or Cameron, same reasons as you. The tight end position just doesn't produce in this offense. They use the TE's on the seam route pretty well, they just don't have anything else consistent going. Idk maybe that's part of the reason they are looking at Thomas. Russell needs to grow in that area and but he also needs better play makers for him. Crappy year for tight ends i the draft. I'm still hopeful Maxx Williams will be there at #31.

I'm not a big fan of signing Suh. I don't like the risk involved. Too much money for a player we don't even need. JMHO, though, cause if they did sign him I'd probably be jacked about it after a day.

One thing Pete and John need to do well each draft is focus on the value signings at the defensive line. Sell these guys on a chance for a bigger contract in a couple years and a chance to shine at CenturyLink. Capitalize on that.

Largent80

Reaction score
I think the draft essentially stays the same regardless of any FA signings. It may change who we take and where but we have a few of our own FA's that need to be re-signed.

I think not knowing much on the injury front with all our players makes it more challenging as well. The staff knows way more about that than we do.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":fou062xd said:
Agree with Missouhawkgal. We need to upgrade the interior OL regardless of who comes back, because it's a need. I also disagree that if Carpenter comes back, it would take a high round pick to replace him. I'm unimpressed with Carpenter. Sure, he's physical, but he's constantly blowing assignments and gets blown backwards or whiffs in pass pro constantly. Sweezy is better at least in assignments, but he's just as terrible in pass pro. Also agree with Hawkfinn that it's time to draft Unger's replacement, even if he plays Guard for a couple of years.

Honestly, I think there are really good options in the 4th/5th round that will be able to contribute in this area nicely. I don't see a need to go high in the draft here. Seattle is a team that likes to get quality throughout the draft at multiple positions. This is a position group that quality can be achieved later.

Hawks46":fou062xd said:
I think we need secondary depth, regardless of offseason moves. There also isn't really much for CB's in FA, so really we're going to rely on Safety and CB depth in the draft.

On the opposite spectrum, this is a position group that is pretty lean. In addition, the NFL has kind of caught up to the Seahawks CB style. And now you have 2 ex defensive coaches heading other staffs who are fully aware of what we look for. Where we could allow players cast aside by the old prototype mold -- that reality has now changed. For us to get the guys we used to get in the 5th/6th rounds, we probably have to commit 3rd and 4th round capital to acquire.

This class could require a day one/day 2 selection to get our guy.

I agree, we need bodies. Assume losing both Maxwell and Lane. We are short our quota. Lose Johnson/Shead and we're further down players. We have current voids on the roster in this group. I could easily see us looking at CB much earlier than we've done before simply due to the voids on the roster.

titan3131

Reaction score
If we could sign Darnell docket + williams + andre johnson for dirt cheap, to me that's a perfect Free agency for the hawks.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":39rp2k9y said:
MizzouHawkGal":39rp2k9y said:
Recon_Hawk":39rp2k9y said:

Some examples:

4. Yes.

1. If Carp re-signs it'll take an early pick to drastically improve the Oline. Where would you fix the Oline at?

2. There's talent at WR throughout the draft so waiting could pay off, but I guess I don't have the faith you have in Baldwin and Kearse to think they are enough to make up for Prich on the PUP and Norwood/Matthews not developing.

3. There's incredible depth at RB this year. Would you take a chance on the development of Turbin and CMike to wait for a value pick later?
1. It's hard to know but a good spot to look would be Unger because of his injury history and of course Okung (but that isn't happening unless we trade up massively for some reason).

2. This is where we should try to go after Andre Johnson big time or maybe Stevie Johnson or some other 2nd-3rd tier type veteran wide receiver.

3. Yes. But if for some reason if Gurley dropped to #31.....let's just say this is why JS is paid the big bucks and I'm not. :mrgreen: