Wild Idea.....

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I understand that what follows is a crazy, way outside the box idea. I am not sure it is a move I would support, but I think it provides for some interesting discussion. And because no one would believe it could happen, it might just happen. Here is the idea:

Trade up into the top of the first round and select Kevin White, WR

I know that this draft is RICH with WR talent. But as I look at the tape on White, along with his measurable and combine performance, it would seem he checks every box the Seahawks would want in a WR. Size, speed, athleticism, hands, blocking ability (though not great), YAC. If the front office was going to "fall in love" with any WR, White very well may be that guy.

I personally believe that the Seahawks will trade down and out of the first, and pick up someone like Nelson Agholor. But if you knew that White would be a player similar to Calvin Johnson, or even Julio Jones - would you consider it?

The cost? The cost for Atlanta to move up in 2011 from 27 to 6 was a total of five draft picks. The gave up the 27th, 59th (2nd round pick), and 124th (4th round pick) in 2011, along with their first round and fourth round in 2012. I think that was a little bit of an over-pay on the part of Atlanta. But what if the Raiders select Cooper at pick 4, and Atlanta is on the clock at pick 8 with White on the board and offers First and Third this year, along with First and Fourth round next year.

Would this be something you would even consider, or is it beyond crazy? Are we getting to the point in our roster construction that most of our later round picks become somewhat of a waste because they have little chance of making the roster because of depth? Would it make more sense to begin to target a few "elite" level talents and using our draft capital to maneuver around the draft to get a few better players?

I am not sure I would be in favor of this move - but I think it is an interesting prospect. Because I initially thought "no way" made me think it could actually be in play for the right price.

Thoughts?

2_0_6

Reaction score
too many holes to move up that far.

Need O-line and D-Line depth, CB, and a TE.

kidhawk

Reaction score
After we extend out a few more rookies (like Wilson and Wagner) we will have most of our young core tied up with fairly substantial deals for the time being. We will need more, relatively inexpensive talent in the upcoming years. Drafting players who can, at the very least be team depth is of vital importance IMO and giving up the kind of capital suggested here, would make that more difficult.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I made this same post last year about Mike Evans. What has transpired over the last year hasn't changed my mind much. Mike Evans has been incredible with 2 awful QB's, Richardson has not been anything much with a very good QB and Marsh has been injured.

Basis4day

Reaction score
It's pretty much what you would have to do to get the so called "#1" WR that many fans are clamoring for. *cough* hawksurething *cough*. They don't grow on trees.

It would be awesome to get a Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Julio Jones type WR but it isn't realistic unless you trade up to draft that guy or take a risk on a guy with off the field red flags.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3viqpgg4 said:
I made this same post last year about Mike Evans. What has transpired over the last year hasn't changed my mind much. Mike Evans has been incredible with 2 awful QB's, Richardson has not been anything much with a very good QB and Marsh has been injured.

Which is why it's recommended to wait a few years to see how a draft class pans out.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
This would go against the plan.

I really think the only players you move that far up for are qb's.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I would love to get a receiver like White, but it would be tough for me to swallow the price. If JS and Pete were comfortable with the price, they felt they could fill the team's holes in other ways, and they felt a player like White would put them over the top this year...go for it.

I think most of us would be pretty excited to see a player like White on the roster once we got over the cost to acquire him.

Do you think Atlanta regrets the Julio Jones trade? I know they had a hard time in the years after the trade because they had a lot of holes to fill but gave up so many picks to get Jones.

Wizofwest

Reaction score
The price to the Falcons was also to leverage the future to win a chip now, which they did not do. Now they are a train wreck.

This leads to our situation. We are getting close to a cap unfriendly situation. We are in reload mode which means we need to make as many picks as possible to find the Richard Sherman's, Maxwells of this and future drafts.

Hawks46

Reaction score
In theory, I get it and I'd tend to agree. Maybe not to the scope the OP is suggesting, but we have enough mid round picks that we have ammo to move up to get players we really want. I also agree that a lot of the 4th and 5th round picks might not make the team at all, or they will at the expense of guys we just drafted last year and didn't get a chance to develop.

That said, in this instance, with that many draft picks and for a WR......NO. WR isn't a valuable enough position to us to spend that kid of draft capital. Yea, package a few picks to move up to get a great OL prospect or DL stud, but I'm not ok with spending 5 draft picks on a player that we won't target more than 60ish times per year.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
OP, I like your outside-the-box thinking. You can bet someone in the FO has thrown this kind of idea around in a meeting or two. It is tantalizing because we do have so much of the core locked up, and so few recent picks have found consistent, meaningful playing time. The weather could be right for a big splash.

Unfortunately, I think we made that move as safely as could be done with Harvin (proven vet vs unknown rookie) and it bit us. The model might be to continue amassing camp fodder every year, let the best stick around, and find the field in their own time. KPL, Norwood, Michael, Marsh, etc., could all still be Seahawks stars in the coming years.

Although, I would flip out – in a good way – if JS & PC went your route and pushed in a big stack of their chips on a huge talent.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Hawk_Nation":2kieltnp said:
too many holes to move up that far.

Need O-line and D-Line depth, CB, and a TE.
Too many holes?! Umm...what?! :177692:

What holes?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2rj7vy5e said:
Richardson hasn't been anything much? You know that in our system system it's extremely tough for rookie WRs to get any sort of real playing time, right? And that once Richardson gained the trust from Russ and the coaches he started to flourish? To say he hasn't done much means you weren't paying attention.

Baldwin did an interview and he talked about how hard it is to be a WR in our offense because of Russell's scrambling ability and when to know when to break off routes and and to not only pay attention to your route/responsibility and the coverage but also be aware of when Russell is about to break outside the pocket. So many of our explosive plays happen because of broken plays and they aren't by accident. Baldwin said he's able to know when Russell is going to roll out and bail on a play before it happens because of their communication and practice time together.

Think of how difficult it would to be a rookie in that situation?

Rob12

Reaction score
We need a number 1 receiver. We can all say that this offense doesn't "need" one all we want, but I'm not buying that anymore. We're set to give Russ $20mm per year and he needs some help in the passing game. It's just that simple. We were targeting Chris Matthews (not knocking it, he had a great game) and Ricardo Lockette was the target for the most important pass in team history. Let that sink in. Please.

Eventually, the lack of legit NFL receivers is going to catch up with this offense.

I think trading up for a guy like White is too much, but trading up to the 15-20 range to grab a guy like Strong or DGB would be a good thing to do.

If Kearse leaves, we're looking at a receiver corps next year of Baldwin, Matthews, Lockette (maybe), Norwood, and Richardson, who might not even play in 2015. There's some FA options, but money is tight.

I see no bigger need on this team than the receiver position, and while I don't expect the FO to move up, it would be nice if they did to address the razor thin depth we have at the position. It's a bottom five position group in the entire NFL.

Rob12

Reaction score
For those of you who feel that we don't need to significantly improve the receiver position, please tell me why and what you think this group looks like next year.

No snark here, just genuinely curious.

getnasty

Reaction score
Rob12":32fg6omy said:
For those of you who feel that we don't need to significantly improve the receiver position, please tell me why and what you think this group looks like next year.

People say we don't need a number one because we've made it to the Superbowl the last 2 year without one. While this is true and we would still be favorites to go back without one, how much would one help if we had one? I wouldn't trade picks to move up, and I wouldnt spend a lot of money on a free agent but I do hope we try to improve the postion. Hard to argue the fact we don't need a number one when we've done it without one, but at the same time it wouldn't hurt to have one.

McGruff

Reaction score
Rob12":1lpx33di said:

I think most every reasonable fan wants to improve the receiver position. THe debate is how to do it and how much resources to sink into the position for our team . . . a run first, run second, pass third team that thrives on improvisation and spreading the ball around.

Investing significant cap money in FA and/or trading the farm for a single player is more than the position warrants on ouor team.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I think you trade up for the right specific fit only. If there is a true number one that can be a big target, will demand double teams, and influence the coverages AND block well for the running game... If he is the kind of player who is willing to spend hours with his QB watching tape and practicing plays...... If he is a receiver who will sell his route and carry out his responsibilities even when he knows he will not get the ball.... And if he is good at the scramble drill too.... Then that is a WR worth giving up picks to move up for.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think the concept of dealing big for an elite WR is crazy at all. I wanted Seattle to do exactly that for Mike Evans last year.

But for Kevin White, I'll pass. He's probably the safest WR in the draft, but even when he beat college DBs for big plays he didn't beat them emphatically very often. There's also the risk of him being a 1 year wonder. I think he's a good player and would fit Seattle pretty well, I just think he's more likely to be something along the lines of Torrey Smith in the NFL than some of the future HoFers he's being compared to right now.

I would be fine with Kevin White at #31, but after his combine he will go top five. You're looking at two 1sts and two 2nds at least to get him. I'd much rather stay put and get a guy like Jaelen Strong or Devin Smith if he falls.

cheese22

Reaction score
Strong at #31 could turn out to be the best wr value pick in this draft. And with his ceiling, that would mean we have a very good #1 wr for several years. Watching his video, I think he has a chance to be the top wr from this draft.