OL testing and day 3 project options

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seattle has generally beaten the neglected path in uncovering OL projects. Of the day 3 OL prospects they've drafted (Seymour, Scott, Bowie, Sweezy), none of these guys were even invited to the combine.

That said, here are some late round players from this combine who we might want to keep an eye on as possible Seahawk draftees. These are players who performed well at the combine, despite having low grades overall.

1. Jarvis Harrison OG TAMU. Of the top 20 performers in the 3 cone and shuttle combined, only two players weighing more than 315 are on this list. Harrison was 4th in cone, 10th in shuttle, at a robust 330 pounds. The other was Donovan Smith (338), at 18th/28th. Harrison is an OG prospect out of TAMU, who is kind of all over the map. Currently listed as a late 7th/UDFA prospect, a couple sites that I regard highly also have him as the second overall OG prospect. Unique blend of size and agility. If I had to guess, he could go in the 5th round range. A really good value replacement for Carpenter who could be a target with one of our 4th round comps.

2. Mark Glowinski OG WVA. Tested well in the top 10 in agility scores this year. Currently a 7th/UDFA grade. Sounds about right. Athleticism scores has him in between the top 11 guys. Almost all of them with 1st/2nd round grades.

3. Andy Gallick OC BC. He's got a bit more pedigree. Listed around 4th/5th range overall. Generally considered a rising/undervalued talent. Good scores.

4. Mitch Morse OT Missou. Good athletic scores 3rd shuttle, 7th cone. Day 2 kind of pick. Probably will go in mid third. Could be part of a Terry Poole/Donovan Smith pocket of OT talent if we target an OT in the third.

I'd guess we'll again target some non combine invitees. We are pretty good at identifying those. But these guys could merit mention as possible later round guys. Seems like this combine has a good field of guys in the 120-250 projected range players who tested at least as well as Britt did last year. Which could easily mean Seattle is looking to add value in their draft later in the OL group instead of the higher profile day 1/2 options that are typically offered up.

Hawks46

Reaction score
So if they're invited to the combine, and they test well as athletes, why are they projected to go so low ? I know you can find good value in the mid rounds for interior OL especially, since it's not a glamor position, but are these guys just raw, inexperienced, or do they just stink ?

Sign me up for that Glowinski character. Anyone with an inski in their last name is ok for the OL in my book. Them Polish are mean and the like to drink.

Largent80

Reaction score
Not related to the thread except a name mention, when Bowie got snatched up from us, did he end up playing at all this year?

netskier

Reaction score
I dimly recall that he played four games, then getting hurt, and out for the season.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hawks46":1x46s46r said:
So if they're invited to the combine, and they test well as athletes, why are they projected to go so low ? I know you can find good value in the mid rounds for interior OL especially, since it's not a glamor position, but are these guys just raw, inexperienced, or do they just stink ?

Sign me up for that Glowinski character. Anyone with an inski in their last name is ok for the OL in my book. Them Polish are mean and the like to drink.

Few things:

1. These are guys who look capable of thriving in a ZBS. It's one of the true advantages of the scheme, is that it's adherents typically covet different, less in demand, properties in their OL. It's why you can get several rounds worth of unclaimed quality at the OL position. There is an unusually large clump of lighter/athletic prospects that should excel in the ZBS throughout the late first through 5th round range.

2. This OL group is very very deep. So much so, that there are mid 2nd round picks who probably will have been regularly mocked in R1. The head of the class is pretty flat in terms of equality. This year is much better depth wise. But not littered with possible top 12 prospects. Recall how the deep DE class of 2012 transpired. The first DE didn't go till Irvin at 15. Then the run began. Players are going to drop. I expect the OL group to miss out on the top 10. When teams start taking the top guys in the teens, they'll be choosing between OL/WR in the teens and 20s. Hard to sustain a strong run that way. Coupled with the extreme depth at WR I expect this year's late 4th round OL to be about the equal of a late 2nd/early 3rd of last year.