Seven round Seahawks mock draft

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I like it. Good mix of talent. I really like Waller and think he could develop into something special. Wouldn't it be awesome if he and Mathews both developed into those giant targets Wilson likes? Especially if we went after Julius Thomas, that would give us 4 solid big targets (counting Willson).

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
Fun read, thanks...didn't personally care for most of the picks tho.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
EMTHawkfan":1ayeymt5 said:
Fun read, thanks...didn't personally care for most of the picks tho.

Explain why if you get a chance.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I would love this draft with the pairing of Thomas/Cameron and DT help. Great stuff Rob

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Lots of ways to look at this. Unless there's an top guard or Maxx Williams sitting at #31, I've been stuck on wanting Nelson Agholor with the first rd pick. He's a play maker at WR and would be a huge upgrade at PR/KR.

I think they will look or a CB but I still like Simon being the starter. The coaching staff hasn't had trouble finding talent in the draft and coaching them up, but they need some depth, so I could see them taking them in the 2nd/3rd.

McGruff

Reaction score
Some of the picks seem like reaches, but very seahawky. Nice work.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
I always appreciate the effort some of you guys put in to make thoughtful, defensible, mock drafts. Doing this for all 7 rounds is particularly difficult and based on all sorts of assumptions, which makes this exercise a pretty significant effort.

Thank you!

As for the picks, I love the balance and how they address areas of need. I suppose my only criticism is that I don't really see any impact players. Lots of projects who could become solid, maybe great, but nobody who really looks like Mr. Right Now. It's a pretty minor concern, I suppose, but there ya go.

Free agency could do a lot to alleviate my concerns.

I hate the offseason.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
MysterMatt":3ncf1vyf said:
I always appreciate the effort some of you guys put in to make thoughtful, defensible, mock drafts. Doing this for all 7 rounds is particularly difficult and based on all sorts of assumptions, which makes this exercise a pretty significant effort.

Thank you!

As for the picks, I love the balance and how they address areas of need. I suppose my only criticism is that I don't really see any impact players. Lots of projects who could become solid, maybe great, but nobody who really looks like Mr. Right Now. It's a pretty minor concern, I suppose, but there ya go.

That's precisely how the parity system works. Good teams don't pick early enough to get guys that outwardly look like impact players.

Seattle's method is and will remain to be tied directly with their ability to develop players after they get drafted. The reality is, players are not nearly as good on draft day as they will be even by the end of training camp. Not all players progress at linear rates. And not all teams successfully develop players to begin with.

Seattle's impact players are largely made up of guys that didn't look like impact players when we got them. Even Avril/Bennett weren't great impact prospects when they were drafted. Outside of Thomas, all of our secondary (even ones that have since departed) were really magoo prospects.

Seattle is outstanding at developing players. I believe it's far more vital to our success than actual talent evaluation. There are very few players who came in here and were just so much better players the moment they hit the rookie camp. Wilson and Wagner are probably the only exceptions. Given that, it really is important to get as many new players as you can that you think you can expect to develop well, and see what sticks.

It's core to the ability to buck the parity system. To be success proof in the draft, you have to get 3-5 starters that aren't great impact prospects on draft day. 2013's class is pretty lean. But a lot of that has to do with injury (J Williams) and a failed trade for Harvin. Last year's class is mixed, with promise. You have Britt as the standout. Richardson (injury), Marsh, KPL and Norwood as still possible quality players. Pinkins/Scott and Staten we should know about them by this training camp.

7 guys still developing and on the roster. There's a good chance 5 of those end up remaining on the 2015 roster to join Britt. 6 contributors in one draft would make it one of our better drafts. That's the beauty of a strong development program. This current draft looks like we could see similar quality as we'll have more picks in earlier rounds as opposed to the 8 out of 11 picks in R5 through R7.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I hope you keep all the mocks you have made and put them up against the real thing to see just how close or not that you get. I do like that you're going for something other then a running back right at the top and so on.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1q2cnuep said:
MysterMatt":1q2cnuep said:

Thank you!

Several paragraphs of stuff I need to get off my chest

Fair points, for sure, and well said. Player development is huge and it seems our staff has been as good as anyone in that regard. I'm really hoping that continues as Pete's staff gets raided time after time, but I do think that expecting 5-6 guys out of last year's draft to become solid starters is a bit optimistic, and none of them really look like difference makers at this point. There are a few spots where we could really use a difference maker and I am not certain where that guy will come from.

AGAIN, don't take my comments as some sort of doom and gloom. I am aware we already have some pretty special players already. I'm just looking forward to seeing where the next ones come from.