Time to scout some centers!

titan3131

Reaction score
resign lemopidia and draft ali marpet for the center position.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
I haven't looked into the Centers in this draft much yet but a quick glance found these three selections that might be around when we pick.

Reese Dismukes, C, Auburn
Height: 6-3. Weight: 296.
40 Time: 5.31.
Projected Round (2015): 2-4.
2/28/15: Dismukes played well for Auburn in 2014. He is a balanced, well-rounded blocker who is equally effective for the ground or air attack. Dismukes had a strong showing versus Kansas State and was very good against LSU. He also looked good against Ole Miss and Wisconsin. Dismukes looks like he'll be able to start early in his NFL career. Dismukes had a quality workout at the Combine and held his own at the Senior Bowl.

Andy Gallik, C, Boston College
Height: 6-2. Weight: 306.
40 Time: 5.31.
Projected Round (2015): 4-6.
2/28/15: Gallik is a stout blocker who is intelligent and sturdy at the point of attack. He broke into the starting lineup as a sophomore after seeing action as a freshman. In his junior and senior year he was an All ACC Conference selection. 2014 saw Gallik named as one of six finalists for the Rimington Trophy.

B.J. Finney, C, Kansas State
Height: 6-4. Weight: 318.
Projected 40 Time: 5.32.
Projected Round (2015): 4-6.
2/28/15: Finney was solid for Kanas State in 2014. He is a smart, athletic lineman who could use more functional strength for the NFL. Finney had an impressive week at the East-Shrine to solidify his status as a third-day pick.

With our zone blocking system I actually like Gallik and Finney better than the higher ranked Dismukes.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Rob Rang was talking up the kid from GT. Also says both Grasu and Dismukes are very similar to Unger.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I would love to move up for Cam Erving if he slides in the 2nd. Not sure how likely that is though.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
it'll be interesting to see if the Hawks view a center like Erving at a position of need available mid second, and they have a first round grade on him, if they'd move up. They'll have a volume of non day 1 picks to do so.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":s8hn9bda said:
I would love to move up for Cam Erving if he slides in the 2nd. Not sure how likely that is though.

I've seen him at 3 different positions in mock drafts to which this organization covets versatility at OL. I'd have to see it to believe it for this FO to move up though.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":1qddc54t said:
Hasselbeck":1qddc54t said:

I've seen him at 3 different positions in mock drafts to which this organization covets versatility at OL. I'd have to see it to believe it for this FO to move up though.
Well, they moved up today. Like with Harvin, this is as good as moving up a few spots in the draft, 2 months early.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I like that Galik kid.

I want the guy in front of Wilson to be 6'2" and not 6'5".

Plus he was a finalist for the Rimming Trophy. gotta like that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Marpet Senior Bowl Standout Marpet

Mike Huguenin
College Football 24/7
Hobart's Marpet held his own as D-III player

I think there were a number of "lesser-knowns" who stood out, but I am going to go with Hobart's Ali Marpet, the only Division III player in the game. Normally, you'd expect a Division III offensive lineman to be way overmatched, but that wasn't the case with Marpet. While he played tackle at Hobart, he will be an interior lineman in the NFL, and he showed well when he made the move during the week. He has good size (6-4, 307) and he held his own in the drills, which shows he has the requisite strength needed to play inside. There could be a few D-III players selected in the draft, but chances are Marpet will be the only one who will cause sage fans to nod and say, "Yep, I have seen that guy. He can play."

Bryan Fischer
College Football 24/7
Division III guard has late-round potential
I'll go with Hobart guard Ali Marpet, who came from the smallest school to the event but proved he belonged in Mobile and certainly sent scouts scrambling to find out more about the D-III product. He looked quite sound at guard and was able to handle big-time pass rushers as well as -- if not better than -- some of the more highly touted guys on the interior of the line. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams think he's a center at the next level, too, but the bottom line is that he went from way off-the-radar to a possible Day 3 pick based on his work in the trenches during the Senior Bowl practices.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... enior-bowl

ivotuk

Reaction score
"Progress shown. Georgia Tech guard Shaq Mason

operated from the triple-option offense in college and therefore didn't exactly get much in the way of experience as a pass protector. Mayock saw significant strides during the practice week, however. "His first day of pass protection was poor as you might expect," Mayock said during the game. "But the next two days ... I think he might be a center in the NFL, but he competed his tail off on Wednesday and Thursday and I thought he showed everyone something. He learned quickly and adjusted on the fly."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... enior-bowl

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":1bu6wk2m said:
BJ Finney. Plus, the Seahawks met with him twice at his pro day.

Yeah, I'm not exactly surprised that Seattle was already looking at OC's this draft. There are a bunch of them.

Unger, to me, has always been kind of a Mebane type of player. A good player. But certainly a market value kind of player. A guy who under the right conditions could be succeeded with a good rookie. This year is thick in centers. I don't expect we were necessarily thinking of letting him go -- the inference has been made that it was a possibility. But for sure it made sense to get one so that the team was able to move on from him this year or next.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3cv3pvto said:

We all say that JS plays it pretty close to the vest in terms of FA and the draft.. but really.. they drop clues all along the way. The Harvin interest was known because of Pete's love affair with him dating back to his days at USC. The Julius Thomas chase was known because of that trade. The Jimmy Graham rumor was floated last offseason but the draft compensation was too high.

The draft too.. we hear about these mid round picks that had multiple visits with the team.. and they get picked up. So Finney would not be a surprise at all for this team.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Weird that a knock on Finney is that he, "lacks functional strength," when one of the things he excelled at was being able to stand up Big XII NT's.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
titan3131":w6l8tiwm said:
brimsalabim":w6l8tiwm said:
titan3131":w6l8tiwm said:
resign lemopidia and draft ali marpet for the center position.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552332

ive seen it whats ur point?

"BOTTOM LINE Has the body type and movement of a zone-scheme center with guard potential. Technically sound and has athleticism to become an NFL starter"
LOL. Why ask 'what's your point?' then omit the part of the BOTTOM LINE that was likely exactly his point? The rest of that last sentence reads:

", but must prove he can handle the substantial jump in power and speed he will see."

Marpet might be anywhere from bust to first-ballot, but right now he has a lot to prove coming from D-III.

CurryStopstheRuns":w6l8tiwm said:
Maybe JS pulls off a double-dip with Finney and Tyler Lockett from K-State.