Off-The-Wall and Under-The-Radar players

ivotuk

Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread to throw random unknowns that people come across in to. I found this big WR from a small school, 7th rounder probably but a good project. I prefer WRs that use their hands to catch (which is why I've switched my favorite from Coates to Strong).

Dezmin Lewis:

"STRENGTHS Good height and overall size. High points and uses his length. Good forward lean into routes and gets cornerbacks to open up before breaking routes off. Uses same route pace for verticals and stick routes.

Long-armed hands-catcher who extends to snatch ball early and get upfield.

Satisfactory speed and foot quickness for his size. Weak-armed quarterback forced him to learn to work back to the throw. Tracks the ball well over his shoulder."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552411

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
And Shaq Mason at Guard:

"BOTTOM LINE Powerful player with an ability to drive defenders off their spot with leg drive and then torque and finish with strong hands and upper body. Lack of height and arm length could hurt his draft standing a little bit, but his elite power trait as run blocker and solid pass-protection technique make him a future starter at right guard in the NFL."

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552563

He's short, but that isn't always a bad thing.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Not really an unknown, supposed to be a 3rd or 4th round pick but I can't get past our need for a PR/KR and Charles Davis calls him "elite" in that respect. Maybe he could be similar to Leon Washington or Darren Sproles, just smaller (5'8'" 185#).

I don't want to see Paul Richardson at it because he's injury prone and doesn't have the experience. We need someone with experience that can change field position and not turn the ball over.

Jamison Crowder KR/PR/WR

"Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke

When I asked defensive backs this week who's been their toughest cover, they consistently said it was Crowder.

I knew coming into this week that Crowder was an elite kick and punt returner, and the team that drafts him can count on him to deliver in that way from the jump.

However, he also is a great route runner and has good hands. Crowder is well-schooled in the passing game coming from Duke, where he was coached by David Cutcliffe. He's built more like a slot receiver at 5-foot-8, 174 pounds, and he's probably best-suited to play inside."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -standouts

SeatownJay

Reaction score
ivotuk":pshz7vkz said:
And Shaq Mason at Guard:

"BOTTOM LINE Powerful player with an ability to drive defenders off their spot with leg drive and then torque and finish with strong hands and upper body. Lack of height and arm length could hurt his draft standing a little bit, but his elite power trait as run blocker and solid pass-protection technique make him a future starter at right guard in the NFL."

Him being short just makes it easier for Russ to see over him. :)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Shaq Mason was a Senior Bowl standout. Surprisingly, was left off the combine invite list. Easily the single biggest combine snub.

Worth watching his pro day results.

McGruff

Reaction score
ivotuk":1i584tea said:
And Shaq Mason at Guard:

Just watch a game of Shaq's, and he's a monster run blogger. Shoots off the snaps and fires into his man and drives for days. But GTech's offense is so unique its hard to see how it will translate into the NFL. There is literally no reading required, just block the heck out of whoever is near you.

McGruff

Reaction score
WR Kenny Bell, Oklahoma . . . He was one of the top Sparq scorers at the combine, tied with McBride and ahead of Waller. He's not huge at 6'1, 197, but has good speed and great hops. So I went back and looked at three games.

Pros . . .
- Very developed route runner. He runs them all and runs them well
- Natural hands catcher.
- Outstanding blocker . . . watch the video below at the 1:45 mark . . .
- Shows some good wiggle with the ball in his hands on screens

Cons . . .
- Seems to struggle with press coverage
- Athleticism doesn't show on the field

Additional Notes
- His QB sucked. Horribly.
- Nebraska's scheme seems very WCO and doesn't give receivers much leeway to make big plays.
- His QB scrambles a lot, and Bell did a good job adjusting both as a receiver when the ball was thrown, and as a blocker when the QB ran. Seems like he would adjust quickly to playing with Wilson.

McGruff

Reaction score
[youtube]fjC4xxn2iu0[/youtube]

Again, look at the blocking at the 1:45 mark.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Division 3 kid who joined Wisconsin's pro-day:

"Receiver Jake Kumerow of Wisconsin-Whitewater, and the son of former Miami Dolphins first-round pick Eric Kumerow, performed well in front of scouts. Kumerow measured 6044/209lbs, timed 4.50 seconds in the 40, 6.83 seconds in the 3-cone drill and 4.19 seconds in the short shuttle. His vertical jump measured 31 inches and he completed 15 reps on the bench."

http://walterfootball.com/proday.php

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
One thing to monitor, is Bell's injury history. Concussion/Groin/Neck injuries during the 2014 season alone. May be a bit fragile.

two dog

Reaction score
I would like to nominate Jalston Fowler fullback, Alabama. He's built exactly like a fullback
would be if you could custom order one. Monster blocker, good receiver and an effective,
though seldom used, runner.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Off the radar but well known in P12 circles is Ty Montgomery. Excels as a KR and PR but had a below average (for him) Senior year (coming off an incredible Jr year) and didn't have the best combine so he is gonna fall for a guy as talented as he is with the ball in his hands.

If Seattle doesn't want to spend a 2nd or 3rd on a WR/Return guy, instead focusing on OL, I would love to see him taken with one of the many picks we have in the 4th or 5th round. He's a gamer and could step in and fill the hole in the return game (both KR and PR) from day 1.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Here's some small school UDFA types who I'm really intrigued by...

[youtube]KXQRHMpeIls[/youtube]

Stick with the tape, he shows plenty. I know the competition's not great but there's not a whole lot more he can do. Runs all the routes (and gets lots of separation), tracks, high points and catches the ball well and has some YAC ability. Former three-star Nevada recruit who moved closer to home to play his ball.

Struggled with illness last year and a program in rebuild mode from 2013 (when they had an overhaul), but in 2012 he caught 91 passes for over 1300 yards, SEVENTEEN of those catches went for TDs.

[youtube]gLklS2iCBq8[/youtube]

He's listed as 6'10, (I've also seen him listed as 6'9 1/2). Regardless, guys that big seldom move this well. He could develop into a very useful weapon at TE.

[youtube]C9CxumCL3yw[/youtube]

Scottemojo first brought my attention to this guy and he's an ass-kicker, always looking to hand out punishment, and willing to run a long way to do it. Recruited by some big schools before winding up at Asuza. Looks like he could play guard.

[youtube]1npW-66pq6I[/youtube]

Slightly shorter than what we go for but looks to be a physical, instinctual football player and sounds like a Seahawk...

Who was the toughest player you ever faced?

No One

What is your biggest weakness?

Keeping my mouth closed!!

If I were a GM and gave you a second to sell yourself, what would you say?

I’m a winner in ready to give my all to this organization and contribute anyway possible to help this team win a championship on & off the field

http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/draft-diamo ... te-pueblo/

Hawks46

Reaction score
McGruff":1z1zvc4m said:
[youtube]fjC4xxn2iu0[/youtube]

Again, look at the blocking at the 1:45 mark.

looks like a pretty dang good run blocker to me. He did it enough.

What about that other kid from GTech, that was like 6'5" and ran a 4.4 forty ? I know there isn't a lot of tape on him, which is why he should fall a bit.

Hawks46

Reaction score
That Powell kid also looks interesting. I wonder how well he'd block at the pro level ?

He demonstrated a desire to block in those highlights. Rare athlete for 6'10". Lol imagine him and Graham at the goal line together. Would that literally be unstoppable paired with Lynch ?