Cyler Miles takes leave of absence

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Speculation by Jude that he isn't coming back at all.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/A_Jude/status/576440581095731200[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Good. Huskies can finally develop and play a real QB for a change. Miles is a joke and a bad one at that.

kearly

Reaction score
What on earth is going on? I hope this isn't a case of him being harassed by fans.

I have mixed feelings on the idea of Miles leaving. Yes, Miles was a terrible QB early in the year, but from the mid-point of the season through the Apple Cup, he had become a competent QB with Pac-12 average efficiency numbers. He wasn't great in the bowl game, but nobody on UW was.

Obviously, you want to strive for a QB who's ceiling is higher than competent. But if Miles leaves right now that puts UW in a tricky spot. Do you start Lindquist, who makes Jake Locker look like Tom Brady? Seriously, Lindquist is probably the worst QB in the history of the school to ever start a game. Or do you start a true freshman who might be another Nick Montana for all we know? Browning was just 6'2", 185 when he committed to UW. He'd probably be 18 or 19 years old next season.

I think every UW fan wants Jake Browning to be our savior at the QB position, I just would have preferred for him to redshirt at least one year first. And if he does redshirt in favor of Lindquist, then UW could be looking at a 3-4 win season next year.

I wasn't looking forward to 2-3 more years of Miles, but him leaving now has some scary downside.

zifnab32

Reaction score
kearly":2dg5cdd6 said:
Seriously, Lindquist is probably the worst QB in the history of the school to ever start a game.

Somebody missed the Ronnie Fouch era

polarbill1999

Reaction score
Good, watching Miles throw those bubble screens made me want to quit watching football. You could bake a cake in the time it too for him to set, throw and get the ball to the WR.

His numbers made him look a lot better then he was. He was the worst QB in the PAC12 as far as I am concerned.

drrew

Reaction score
zifnab32":2lq18d73 said:
kearly":2lq18d73 said:
Seriously, Lindquist is probably the worst QB in the history of the school to ever start a game.

Somebody missed the Ronnie Fouch era

I see your Ronnie Fouch and raise you one Casey Paus.

kearly

Reaction score
Fouch wasn't THAT bad. He was basically Miles on a team with zero supporting cast.

Casey Paus was really terrible. He's the only one who compares for me. But Lindquist is worse. Lindquist was totally incapable of completing a pass against Hawaii for three quarters of a game. Small sample, but in his other appearances he didn't look any better. Literally never seen a more hopeless QB.

matthews628

Reaction score
kearly":1lx59rrh said:
What on earth is going on? I hope this isn't a case of him being harassed by fans.

I have mixed feelings on the idea of Miles leaving. Yes, Miles was a terrible QB early in the year, but from the mid-point of the season through the Apple Cup, he had become a competent QB with Pac-12 average efficiency numbers. He wasn't great in the bowl game, but nobody on UW was.

Obviously, you want to strive for a QB who's ceiling is higher than competent. But if Miles leaves right now that puts UW in a tricky spot. Do you start Lindquist, who makes Jake Locker look like Tom Brady? Seriously, Lindquist is probably the worst QB in the history of the school to ever start a game. Or do you start a true freshman who might be another Nick Montana for all we know? Browning was just 6'2", 185 when he committed to UW. He'd probably be 18 or 19 years old next season.

I think every UW fan wants Jake Browning to be our savior at the QB position, I just would have preferred for him to redshirt at least one year first. And if he does redshirt in favor of Lindquist, then UW could be looking at a 3-4 win season next year.

I wasn't looking forward to 2-3 more years of Miles, but him leaving now has some scary downside.

The Dawgs do have a kid who will be a RS Fr., and was a 4* recruit (not that they've had much success with their last few 4* QBs) - KJ Carta-Samuels. According to former starting DT Evan Hudson, he would carve them up during practices, and he's got the size to take the inevitable hits that will come with the porous OL the Huskies annually run out there. Many thought he would take over as the starter, even before Cyler called it quits.

With that being said, the depth obviously takes a hit, and if KJCS goes down, it could go from already ugly to downright appalling. Not that I expect him to be the next Johnny football, or even Anu Solomon, but he provides some hope, whereas even the prospect of Miles starting another game, and the ineptitude that comes as a result, completely demoralizes me.

drrew

Reaction score
kearly":1xhsp6xm said:
Fouch wasn't THAT bad. He was basically Miles on a team with zero supporting cast.

Casey Paus was really terrible. He's the only one who compares for me. But Lindquist is worse. Lindquist was totally incapable of completing a pass against Hawaii for three quarters of a game. Small sample, but in his other appearances he didn't look any better. Literally never seen a more hopeless QB.

I'm not sure you're giving Casey Paus credit for how horrible he actually was. Lindquist at Hawaii was absurd, but he hasn't had the opportunity to do what Casey Paus pulled off in 2004. Paus had the following games:

10 for 26
1 for 5 w/2 ints
4 for 12
14 for 36 w/4 ints
13 for 37
10 for 24 w/3 ints

That is a sustained level of play that Jeff Lindquist could only hope to match.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
drrew":3vzu24ev said:
kearly":3vzu24ev said:

I'm not sure you're giving Casey Paus credit for how horrible he actually was. Lindquist at Hawaii was absurd, but he hasn't had the opportunity to do what Casey Paus pulled off in 2004. Paus had the following games:

10 for 26
1 for 5 w/2 ints
4 for 12
14 for 36 w/4 ints
13 for 37
10 for 24 w/3 ints

That is a sustained level of play that Jeff Lindquist could only hope to match.

I recognize the name but don't really remember him. Was he named the starter or forced in due to injuries?

titan3131

Reaction score
This guy was apart of the "incident" after the hawks won the superbowl.

I thought his talent was no where near good enough to keep him around after that. So personally Im glad he's gone. Really disappointed we didnt get vernon adams.

drrew

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2eo3dnu8 said:
I recognize the name but don't really remember him. Was he named the starter or forced in due to injuries?

Unfortunately not, it was just a really ugly time for UW QB play. Strike that, a really ugly time for the entire team.

Cody Pickett graduated in '03 leaving Paus, Carl Bonnell, and Isaiah Stanback as the QBs on the roster. Stanback was transitioning from WR and wouldn't be a full time QB until '05. Paus beat out Bonnell for the starting job.

Thank god for San Jose State or '04 would have been another 0-12 season. The UW won a grand total of 10 games in a 5 year stretch. The fact that Sarkisian and Petersen have now taken them to five straight bowls (yes, crappy ones, but bowls nonetheless) is really quite extraordinary.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
UW just lost the best QB on their roster, and he was a mediocre QB at best. That would be a cause for concern among many fanbases.